Moparts

O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag

Posted By: 70sixpkrt

O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/13/24 10:46 PM

Anybody know anything about old Japanese Flags. My old next door neighbor was in the Marines and left me this silk flag. Is it worth anything?

Attached picture 100_2322.JPG
Attached picture 100_2324.JPG
Attached picture 100_2325.JPG
Posted By: floyd

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/13/24 11:07 PM

Looks like he may have participated in the occupation of Japan. These guys might be able to help:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/forum/1185-spoils-of-war/
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/13/24 11:36 PM

For me I'd check out the history of the flag,what campaign this was in during WWIi.Maybe some of marine buddy's who fought in it might want it of course.But I don't know that I woud charge anyone connected to it.Id and this is just me give it to them they probably went through hell to obtain it.if seen different military memorabilia over the years guns,uniforms etc...I would check with a historian.Maybe it was left to you because he entrusted it to you for some reason. twocents drive
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 12:00 AM

Looks like The Second Marine Corps Div that fought the japenese in WWll.From the shield drawing on the flag.
Posted By: TJP

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by rdrnr6970
Looks like The Second Marine Corps Div that fought the japenese in WWll.From the shield drawing on the flag.

iagree Also written at the top of the flag under one of the names. Second pic on the far left shows what appears to be an Omaha Ne. address. Sadly most have likely passed away. My uncle was a dedicated marine with an extensive history in the South Pacific campaign. I wished I had known or even paid attention to the sacrifices he, my father and other relatives made. They were a generation that has yet to be equaled IMO. My father had one and other items that he brought back from the Philippine's. I'll have to ask my oldest brother if he has them.
That flag should be in a museum to honor the men's names that are on it. beer up
Posted By: jcc

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 03:17 AM

iagree
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 04:29 AM

History in your hands... literally.
J. Robert Oppenheimer, met with Truman in the oval office, after the end of the war.
He tried to convince Truman, that we (usa) needed to slow down the progression of nuclear weapons... after the Japan A bombings.
Truman basically stopped the conversation, and kicked him out, after that.
Oppenheimer, had regrets for what he was in charge of developing, after seeing the total annihilation in Japan, knowing that other countries... (Soviet Union in 1949) would soon develop their own version of the "Bomb".
The monster had been unleashed, that we, as a world community, are still dealing with today.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 04:43 AM

Yeah, that should be preserved properly. I have no idea regarding its value. Next week is the annual "Show of Shows" in Louisville, KY. http://www.sosovms.com/Show_of_Shows/
If you have something similar in your area you'd likely also find someone reputable enough to put a good value on that. Nice historical piece!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 04:57 AM

It is only worth what you can get out of it up work scope
Do not start low on the asking price, maybe not start with asking price work
I would start with best offer and go from there, that is a piece worth taking your time to do some research on past sells and where to list it is for you the seller is the best also. scope luck

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 05:02 AM

I'll pay the OP $50 to donate it to a Bonafide period Military Museum, In honor of my Dad who served in the pacific for WW2.

Is that adequate?
Posted By: basketcase

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
I'll pay the OP $50 to donate it to a Bonafide period Military Museum, In honor of my Dad who served in the pacific for WW2.

Is that adequate?
Should be in a Mariene or WWll Museum.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 01:42 PM

I see a lot of this sort of thing on Pawn stars, The flag itself may not be worth that much but the writings on it will boost it's authenticity and value. Have it checked out!
Posted By: Sniper

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

Is that adequate?

I'd toss in another $50

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
I see a lot of this sort of thing on Pawn stars, The flag itself may not be worth that much but the writings on it will boost it's authenticity and value. Have it checked out!
You mean you doubt there were only purple Sharpies in theater in 1945?
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 02:32 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_Marine_Division#:~:text=The%20lineal%20forebear%20of%20the,1938%20to%20San%20Diego%2C%20California.

Maybe contact the 2nd Marine Division. Each base has a museum of sorts.

Also, National Museum of the Marines

https://www.usmcmuseum.com/staff-directory.html
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 03:50 PM

Belongs in a Museum IMO

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 04:13 PM

I think we have all watched Raiders of the Lost Ark apparently. grin
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 04:14 PM

I think there should be some stitching in or around the edge of the meatball that will tell you wich Japanese unit ran that particular flag

Here in houston is a [censored] flag that the Japanese government wants back
It’s owned by a w2 marine and is a garrison flag. It has the stitching as I described above
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the comments and opinions. Keep it coming. My next door neighbor died about 30 years ago and my sister and I were the executives of the estate. He is the one that got me into cars. He had about 8 cars including a 1962 Starfire, 1941 Special deluxe coupe and 1941 Chevy Cabriolet. He was a cool dude. His name was Jim Garcia.

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by gremlinsteve

Here in houston is a [censored] flag that the Japanese government wants back

work

on what grounds?
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/14/24 10:49 PM

Probably recovered during the Battle of Okinawa. Looks like his platoon mates signed the flag, or members of the platoon who survived the battle. 2nd MarDiv actually occupied Nagasaki 2 weeks after the bomb was dropped.

As a side note, years ago I sat in on an interview of a WWII Marine as part of the veterans history project. The veteran took part in most of the major battles to include Okinawa. His presentation was pretty sober, given that the battle became mid evil after weeks of slogging through monsoon created rains. He was very descriptive right down to some close encounters (hand to hand) with the Japanese defenders. There was utter hatred toward the Japanese soldiers with atrocities committed on both sides. However, he survived and actually participated in the occupation of Nagasaki.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/16/24 02:14 PM

There is a Second Marine Corps Div Association, just Ggogle for it. You will find some old Marines that are in the know.

There is a Facebook site also.
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: O/T: WW2 Japanese Flag - 02/16/24 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by gremlinsteve

Here in houston is a [censored] flag that

the Japanese government wants back

work

on what grounds?

The Japanese government lost most of the garrison flags. They have recovered all but the one in the hands of the marine here in houston
They simply asked the marine if they could have it back and the marine told em no
I
© 2024 Moparts Forums