Moparts

trailer brakes

Posted By: Jim_Lusk

trailer brakes - 02/09/24 11:30 PM

I've got an old flat bed car trailer that had the brakes fail some time back. We don't use it much so I put it off until now to get it fixed. One of the brake lines broke clean. I pulled the drums and found that the brakes were ok, but I'd like to replace the wheel cylinders along with all the lines and hose. I did replace the master a long time ago, but haven't found where I put it and it probably should get replaced as well. I found some off-brand brake assemblies for a reasonable price as well as Dexter (which they probably are) for about double. what would you guys do? Best source? I can get some pics of the assemblies later. nOh, and they are 10 x 2.25.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: trailer brakes - 02/09/24 11:41 PM

Would complete assemblies, i.e. backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, already assembled, make more sense?

Then run new lines to a new master?

Re: trailer brakes - 02/09/24 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by moparmike1
Would complete assemblies, i.e. backing plates, wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, already assembled, make more sense?

Then run new lines to a new master?

That's what I'm leaning to, but the off-brand from E-trailer or the Dexter? I haven't found a master that looks like mine. Than again, mine is in a hiding place so I am just going on memory...
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: trailer brakes - 02/09/24 11:47 PM

I buy all my trailer parts at Johnson Supply but they are electric not hydraulic, I haven't used a hydraulic trailer brake set-up in decades, didn't know they were still available! https://johnsonssurplus.com/products/search?keyword=trailer%20brakes

Re: trailer brakes - 02/09/24 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I buy all my trailer parts at Johnson Supply but they are electric not hydraulic, I haven't used a hydraulic trailer brake set-up in decades, didn't know they were still available! https://johnsonssurplus.com/products/search?keyword=trailer%20brakes

Yeah, it looks like they don't have any hydraulic brake parts. I bought this trailer very used in 2001. I'm fixing it up before I give it to my older son as I now have the 20' enclosed. I don't really have the room for two car trailers. Otherwise I'd probably keep it.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: trailer brakes - 02/10/24 12:20 AM

If you have to replace pretty much everything on the brake system, I would sure look into going with the electric brakes. Even with adding the brake control (probably close to the cost of the master cylinder) on the truck, the electric brakes are likely going to be less expensive, and they have the added advantage of being able to apply only the trailer brakes to stop a tail wag condition, and they make it much easier to back the trailer up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums