Moparts

Trailer tires

Posted By: gtx6970

Trailer tires - 01/24/24 10:13 PM

Im looking at trailer tires

Is it best to go 10 ply . any particular brand to avoid or prefered.

Im looking at 3 different ones on Priorty tire . and all 3 are about $75 ea
All 3 are in the $75 each range , 2 or 10 ply, 1 is 8 ply

https://www.prioritytire.com/compare/86258/127616/60959
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Trailer tires - 01/24/24 10:27 PM

I have not used them yet but Goodyear makes a Endurance trailer tire. More expensive than the others though.I will most likely try them next time. Since most China tires don`t seem to last for me.
Posted By: topside

Re: Trailer tires - 01/24/24 11:53 PM

Bought a set of Goodyear Endurance for my trailer last year after reading good reviews - no problems to report.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by mopars4ever
I have not used them yet but Goodyear makes a Endurance trailer tire. More expensive than the others though.I will most likely try them next time. Since most China tires don`t seem to last for me.

More expensive is an understatement . Almost 3 times the $$$ the others Ive looked at

I can get a 10 ply Carlisle brand locally for about $110 ea

$89 ea on Priorty Tire and free delivery
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 12:28 AM

travel trailer guys are all about the goos year endurance cult.. its crazy. maxxis ,carlisle and a couple other are also very good..
Posted By: gch

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 12:40 AM

Of the three at the link I would go with the trans eagle. I have been selling them for several years now to my local construction and lawncare customers with trailers. No issues to report. I consider them a good "budget " friendly trailer tire.

If you wanted a step up without spending goodyear money consider the Hercules strong gaurd st if there is a Hercules dealer in your area.

In your size an 8 ply is sufficient most of the time. If you need a 10 ply in this size you are probably at or over the limit of your trailer.A step up to 225/75r15 will carry more weight if you have the clearance.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 01:09 AM

7000 gvw
20ft enclosed trailer.
Will be a B body in it 75% of the time it's being used.
Any other time will be early A body.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 01:12 AM

Typically, the higher load rating and bigger tire will provide better service life. Get "more" than what you need. The actual quality of the tire is the most elusive factor.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 02:32 AM

iagree
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 02:34 AM

I finally went back to Goodyear after using those crappy Marathon's for too long and too many blowouts. I quit for about 5 years until the Endurance came out, and I gave them a couple of years to make sure I didn't hear any horror stories. Used Carlisle's for years before Marathons until they started falling apart. Did typical Chinesium tires for a few years, they were OK but they did not last long. Got Endurance on my enclosed trailer now and they have been flawless, but I have not had them on long so don't know longevity as of yet... twocents BTW, Discount Tire is where I got my Goodyears at, and they are more expensive than what they used to sell Goodride at $110 each while Endurance were $200 each...
Posted By: A12

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 02:34 AM

iagree too

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I finally went back to Goodyear after using those crappy Marathon's for too long and too many blowouts. I quit for about 5 years until the Endurance came out, and I gave them a couple of years to make sure I didn't hear any horror stories. Used Carlisle's for years before Marathons until they started falling apart. Did typical Chinesium tires for a few years, they were OK but they did not last long. Got Endurance on my enclosed trailer now and they have been flawless, but I have not had them on long so don't know longevity as of yet... twocents

And they blow out at the worst possible time and place. DAMHIK mad
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 05:49 AM

Only trailer tires I’ve blown were china junk. Have Goodyears on the travel trailer now. Will be going back with them when they age out. I’ve never been disappointed when spending extra on tires, but I’ve been pretty aggravated or left a bad hand to deal with when cheap ones were left on what I bought. Or in days of yore when I made the mistake.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 05:54 AM

What size axles and how many lug bolts wheels does our trailer have on it. Is it enclosed or an open trailer?
Posted By: wingman

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 04:35 PM

Don't cheap out.

There's lots of overseas junk out there and a failure can be a catastrophe.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 04:44 PM

I've run light truck tires on my car trailer for over 30 years without an incident. Tandem 3500# Dexters with five on 4 1/2 rims.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
Don't cheap out.

There's lots of overseas junk out there and a failure can be a catastrophe.

Yep, don't cheap out. Figure it this way if one of those $80 Pacific Rim tires blows out you will have to replace it with another $80 PR cheap tire and then you are in it for more than the price of one Goodyear MADE IN THE USA Endurance trailer specific tire. Hopefully when the PR cheapo tires blows it doesn't cause damage to the wheel/rim or the trailer and it happens to blow in a safe place and conditions. Then add in the time and money (if you don't have a spare) that it will take to fix the situation on the side of the road. I dragged a 26' foot trailer around the USA for several decades and got tired of the company cheaping out on trailer tires. Installed either Goodyear or Michelin tires and little to no, none, zip issues from there on out. DON'T CHEAP OUT, not worth the initial money saving and will cost you more in downtime and safety.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Endurance&isSEO=true (check at the bottom of each listing "Country of Origin USA". If you do ever have a problem then you can't say you didn't do the best you could.

Posted By: justinp61

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 05:05 PM

I have Goodyear Endurance on my 18' gooseneck that I haul my Dart, tractor or whatever else is needed on. They've been on three years now and haven't been any issues, I do keep them covered when the trailer isn't being used. I bought five and even with a good discount they were expensive. The trailer does pull better with the radials than with the bias that was on it before.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Bought a set of Goodyear Endurance for my trailer last year after reading good reviews - no problems to report.

I too got a set of Goodyear Endurance tires for my 24ft enclosed trailer.

I got them on the recommendation of another racer.

I got them through Discount Tire.

So far they have been fine.

One thing I noticed was that they seemed to be heavier than the tires I have used in the past and have a higher inflation pressure (70 PSI).
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
I've run light truck tires on my car trailer for over 30 years without an incident. Tandem 3500# Dexters with five on 4 1/2 rims.

This works, remember to take 11% off the load rating when running LT tires. Heat builds up when running on a trailer.

The sidewall flexes on LT so you don’t get beat to death. ST tires have stiffer sidewalls to carry loads.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 05:52 PM

Here's my twocents As other have said don't cheep out. I have an Enclosed (15,600lbs gross) that came with 225/85R15 E Good Year Marathons from the factory. Every 2 years a couple of them needed replacing due to belt failure. I switched to a 235/85R16 E Good Year Marathon and have not had a Belt failure since. Side wall deflection is typically the root cause for trailer tire failure. The E rated 16" has more belts and consequently a higher load rating and If I recall correctly they are (were) less expensive than the 15". My Big trailer (21600 Gross) has 235/85R16 Maxon 10ply (from the factory) and so far so good on wear and reliability. Point being more tire (load capacity) is cheaper in the long run.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 06:44 PM

Load ratings and number of plys is all good, but don't forget . . . trailer tires also have SPEED ratings on them. Most of the lower price tires are "only" rated to 55 or 60mph max !!! . . . . If you are running down the interstate at 70mph, then make sure the tire can handle that speed.

M

Re: Trailer tires - 01/25/24 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by a12rag
Load ratings and number of plys is all good, but don't forget . . . trailer tires also have SPEED ratings on them. Most of the lower price tires are "only" rated to 55 or 60mph max !!! . . . . If you are running down the interstate at 70mph, then make sure the tire can handle that speed.

M
work
Thanks for the heads up up bow
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Trailer tires - 01/26/24 01:31 AM

I have read that Air Stream Travel trailers are putting Michelin LT truck tires on new trailers. The Defender AT/2. Wonder how they would hold up on a car hauler?

Re: Trailer tires - 01/26/24 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by carnut68
I have read that Air Stream Travel trailers are putting Michelin LT truck tires on new trailers. The Defender AT/2. Wonder how they would hold up on a car hauler?

LT tires are illegal on trailers in some states, but of course unless you are going through scales I doubt anyone would care. Now if you had an accident, that may be enough to not get paid from your insurance company... work

Re: Trailer tires - 01/26/24 08:37 AM

I looked for LT tires for my 1999 Pace Shadow that came with 215x75x15 inch tires and 6 lug 5000 Lb axles 4 or 5 years ago, none of the 15 inch LT tires had a higher load rating than the trailer tire had back then whiney scope
The way to get better rated trailer tires was to switch to 16 inch rims and tires shruggy
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Trailer tires - 01/26/24 02:02 PM

I’ll be going on season 5 on our Greenball Towmaster ACS “G” rated 16” trailer tires. That’s been pretty much unheard of for us in the desert. 100psi 4080 load range 75mph speed rating. I will add that once going to them I’ve removed them from the trailer from late May until September and store them inside to keep them out of the blazing sun.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/26/24 03:36 PM

What 16" 6-bolt rims are being used and where to buy them? All the 16" rims I see are 8-bolt... shruggy

Re: Trailer tires - 01/26/24 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What size axles and how many lug bolts wheels does our trailer have on it. Is it enclosed or an open trailer?

5 lug , 15inch wheels , dual 3500 pd axles , 20 ft enclosed trailer
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Trailer tires - 01/26/24 05:58 PM

Goodyear Endurance on all three of my trailers. One set is 8 years old and still hanging in there. And out here in the desert that's saying something.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Trailer tires - 01/27/24 02:42 PM

What 16" 6-bolt rims are being used and where to buy them? All the 16" rims I see are 8-bolt... shruggy

I think any 6 lug chevy truck wheel wit fit, that's what (15") I use for my spare.

16" here. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20757.html

Re: Trailer tires - 01/27/24 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61

I think any 6 lug chevy truck wheel wit fit, that's what (15") I use for my spare.

16" here. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20757.html

Thanks!
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Trailer tires - 01/29/24 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
Goodyear Endurance on all three of my trailers. One set is 8 years old and still hanging in there. And out here in the desert that's saying something.
Good to hear the feedback. Probably will be my next set.

Re: Trailer tires - 01/29/24 08:01 PM

My 34 Ft. travel trailer had them on it, with dexter brand 6000 lb. axles with 6 lug 16 inch rims and tires, sorry for not knowing the brand of the wheels whiney confused
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Trailer tires - 01/30/24 06:58 PM

I went with the newly designed HanKook Vantra E-rated tires(10Ply) ST225/75R15 for my 24' Bravo enclosed trailer - so far it tows much better with these tires than the cheap D-rated tires it came with from the factory - Next trailer will be 16" rims

Attached picture trailer3.jpg
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: Trailer tires - 01/31/24 01:38 AM

Goodyear Endurance trailer tire are the best I have been using them for a few years now I'm wearing them out with no blow outs before Endurance's 2 or 3 blow outs a year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums