Moparts

Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance?

Posted By: rdrnr6970

Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 02:10 PM

It's been a long time since I owned my coronets and roadrunners.Today do you still need a garage to get classic insurance for you're car? drive
Posted By: racerx20

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 02:58 PM

I've been with both Hagerty and American Modern and both require secure garages.
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 03:21 PM

Grundy requires the car to be garaged.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 03:35 PM

I have been with two companies over the years (Hagerty, and American Collectors Insurance through USAA). Both policies required the car to be stored in a locked secure garage.

You may be able to possibly negotiate a policy without a garage, but my guess is that if it is possible you will pay more.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 04:43 PM

It would depend upon the insurer, but every classic car insurer I'm aware of requires that the car be kept in a locked garage.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 04:44 PM

i believe all policy writers require this.
hopefully, our insurance guru will chime in with the correct answer and any other pertinent information.
beer
Posted By: moparx

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
It would depend upon the insurer, but every classic car insurer I'm aware of requires that the car be kept in a locked garage.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treed by a minute ! laugh2
beer
Posted By: BDW

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 05:36 PM

Not only a garage, but proof of another vehicle also.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 05:39 PM

Wow you guys are really helping us! upThank you ! drive
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Not only a garage, but proof of another vehicle also.

I dont think Haggerty ever asked me if I had another vehicle.
Just asked if mine was going to be daily transportation

I live in an area where I can and do drive mine year round and not exclusively for shows or cruises. I am able to take it to dinner or breakfast when I want,, And I do. And it is stored indoors at all times at my residence in the attached garage.

Only limitation I have is it is NOT my daily driver

Mine is Haggerty , agreed value of $105k, annual premium is I think right around $750-$800 a year. Wife pays it so I dont remember exact costs.

If I want to use it exclusively for shows or cruises I can make adjustment to lower the annual costs . Stored offsite raises the annual costs as well

I chose to drive my car when I want, for the most part where I want. So this works for me. And I drive it, A LOT. a\Actually just a click over 11,000 miles in 3-1/2 years
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 08:04 PM

One that that has changed over the years is the second (or more) vehicle doesn’t have to be garaged. Twenty years ago they told me I’d garage my daily and leave the collector car outside because it was insured. It was Hagerty or some other well known one, wasn’t Grundy as I went with them back then.

Ludicrous.

Told them they lost my business that day. Then a couple years ago I went down the list again and nobody told me I had to have enough space for all vehicles to be garaged. I specifically asked each place.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 08:13 PM

I have American Collectors insurance. It's an AGREED value policy. They require a secure locked
garage for your classic vehicle, and you must have a daily driver type vehicle as well.
In certain states, they also give you
a discount, for using a historical plate on your car (say from: 1968)...you must Email a picture to show proof of registration for the discount. Another discount they offer is....
not driving your car during the winter months of Dec/Jan/Feb. Called a " Layup Discount". You must E-sign a document for this.
Also...depending on how many miles you drive, you can save money on your policy too.
I only drive my Duster a couple hundred miles each year, so I have the minimum 1,000 mile tier, on my policy, which saves money.
IIRC you can choose up to 5,000 miles per year. My premium is less than $300 a year.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 08:27 PM

I had my Conquest insured through Hagerty and they were aware it was not garaged. It was only insured for 10K though maybe there is limits there.
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 08:36 PM

I have a collector car that is stored in an offsite locked garage that I rent. Hagerty charges a minimal extra fee for that over home garage storage.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 09:53 PM

I was thinking about insuring a classis car once and asked them about that secured garage deal. They told me they were more concerned with someone stealing my classis then they were about me wrecking it. Having it in a secured garage at home reduces the chance of it being stolen by something like 90%. Sitting outside unsecured s like advertising its availability to thieves. Stolen from a home garage is often reports quickly and they have better odds of getting it back. Stolen from an off site garage usually means a delayed theft report and lower odds of finding it. Makes sense to me.

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/23/24 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
I had my Conquest insured through Hagerty and they were aware it was not garaged. It was only insured for 10K though maybe there is limits there.

Hagerty has a long history of telling customers what they want to hear over the phone, even if those things contradict the actual policy. I don't doubt a bit that you were told that, but had you had a claim due to being parked outside, you'd have potentially had a serious problem.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish

Hagerty has a long history of telling customers what they want to hear over the phone, even if those things contradict the actual policy. I don't doubt a bit that you were told that, but had you had a claim due to being parked outside, you'd have potentially had a serious problem.

You know, it is perfectly legal in Texas to record a phone conversation as long as at least one person party to the conversation gives permission and yes, you can be that person.

Wonder how that would play out in court?

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 02:03 AM

If you could prove that a company representative assured you that you were covered, or you could do this or that, the insurance company would have to abide by what their representative said...for the most part.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 02:19 AM

If you could prove that a company representative assured you that you were covered, or you could do this or that, the insurance company would have to abide by what their representative said...for the most part.

Thank you
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 02:37 AM

I have Hagerty with 4 vehicles on my policy. 3 are garaged but #4 is my 4 door long bed CTD that's a couple feet longer than the garage. I told the rep it was in the driveway as it can't fit in the garage. The guy had no problem with that. So maybe the driveway is OK or maybe they won't pay a theft claim?
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 04:20 AM

I think JC Taylor will do an agreed value policy without garage storage if the agreed value is below a certain threshold.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 06:24 AM

Being in a garage also reduces the chance of physical damage and condition going down hill being out in the weather all the time.
Hagerty knows I store my stuff away from home and as far as I know they aren't charging me extra. I think their main worry is if vehicles are stored away from home in a place where other people have access because there's a higher risk of something happening.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by rdrnr6970
It's been a long time since I owned my coronets and roadrunners.Today do you still need a garage to get classic insurance for you're car? drive

yes

I have American Collectors insurance. It's an AGREED value policy. They require a secure locked
garage for your classic vehicle, and you must have a daily driver type vehicle as well.

same here

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_440
I have Hagerty with 4 vehicles on my policy. 3 are garaged but #4 is my 4 door long bed CTD that's a couple feet longer than the garage. I told the rep it was in the driveway as it can't fit in the garage. The guy had no problem with that. So maybe the driveway is OK or maybe they won't pay a theft claim?

Do you have agreed value coverage with them on the CTD through their classic car program? If so, their rep gave you bad information and there's the potential you'll get hassled if a tree falls on it, it gets stolen, etc. Another potential example of a Hagerty rep just spewing whatever they think the customer wants to hear.

Anytime anyone tells you something that sounds odd/unusual/like an exception being made, get it in writing. Always.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 03:26 PM

I am less worried about damage from trees or theft than idiot drivers.

I have had multiple people hit may cars but only one ran from the scene. I have been lucky. Most accidents here are hit and run because the cops are too overloaded to investigate so nothing happens.

Can you get a policy that covers collision damage and not comprehensive or theft without a garage that would still cover the value of the car? shruggy

My garages are full.

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 04:03 PM

Can you get a policy that covers collision damage and not comprehensive or theft without a garage that would still cover the value of the car?

I don't know of any collector company that offers collision only. I suppose there might be, but I doubt it.

For a standard auto policy, you can typically get comp without collision, but I can only recall once or twice seeing collision without comp, and in those cases, the only coverage written was collision. No comp, no liability, no nothing else. Definitely once, maybe twice, but that's it.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_440

Do you have agreed value coverage with them on the CTD through their classic car program? If so, their rep gave you bad information and there's the potential you'll get hassled if a tree falls on it, it gets stolen, etc. Another potential example of a Hagerty rep just spewing whatever they think the customer wants to hear.

Anytime anyone tells you something that sounds odd/unusual/like an exception being made, get it in writing. Always.

Thank-you for this!
I went and pulled my 2024/2025 policy. Each of my vehicles are individually listed. For the 3 in the garage the policy states: Garaging: "Private Garage."
The line for my CTD states: Garaging: "Driveway."

And its "agreed value." So I guess the rep did what he said. This time anyway...

Re: Do u still need a garage to get classic car insurance? - 01/24/24 11:13 PM

In that case, you should be fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums