Moparts

Any tricks to help a garage frig work better?

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/21/24 10:36 PM

I know there are garage heater kits for some refrigerators, but there isn't one for the frig I have. Its older and uses r134a for refrigerant. Works fine when the ambient temperature is 50 or above, not so much when it 32 or lower. Thanks.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/21/24 10:46 PM

Move back to Floriduh. laugh2
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/21/24 10:47 PM

Unplug it and just leave the door open.
Posted By: topside

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/21/24 11:08 PM

Say what ?! A heater for the fridge ? shruggy
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/21/24 11:50 PM

I just had to finally throw my 1970 model garage fridge out to the curb. 54 years was a good run. Alot of beer, pop, water and nitrous bottles from the freezer when through it over the years. We all had a moment of silence for its departure.

Attached picture 20230623_130655.jpg

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Unplug it and just leave the door open.

I thought about that but then I would have to monitor it. laugh2

I use it for extra freezer space too when we buy a half of cow. The old one I had in there didn't have a problem until it died a few months ago so we bought a new one for the house (another fiasco) and moved this one to the garage. Now I don't feel like I can safely keep meat frozen in there.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by topside
Say what ?! A heater for the fridge ? shruggy

Its a little grid heater that warms the thermostatic switch so the compressor runs longer.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
Move back to Floriduh. laugh2

Umm, no! laugh2

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
I just had to finally throw my 1970 model garage fridge out to the curb. 54 years was a good run. Alot of beer, pop, water and nitrous bottles from the freezer when through it over the years. We all had a moment of silence for its departure.

That was a good run. Be comforted in the knowledge that you gave it a good home. Cherish the memories for may it always live on in your heart.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 12:23 AM

Heat the garage?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 12:27 AM

A bench mark to compare all of its followers to. I suspect the newer ones are going to leave you disappointed.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Heat the garage?

The garage heater is a ventless natural gas unit without a thermostat. I really don't want to leave that on unattended, especially with all the chemicals and fumes that may be in there. Looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 01:28 AM

Yep, my house fridge took a dump 3 weeks later and it was only 21 years old. Still a good run. The compressor for it was more than half of a new fridge and was on back order or not available anywhere. Wound up buying a new fridge for the kitchen.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 01:37 AM

Use an extension cord and put a 4 or 7W night light bulb in the refrigerator compartment. Close the refrigerator door on the extension cord. The door seal won't hurt the cord. The night light bulb will produce just enough heat so the refrigerator runs long enough to keep the freezer near 0ºF and the refrigerator between 36 to 42ºF.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by 70Duster
Use an extension cord and put a 4 or 7W night light bulb in the refrigerator compartment. Close the refrigerator door on the extension cord. The door seal won't hurt the cord. The night light bulb will produce just enough heat so the refrigerator runs long enough to keep the freezer near 0ºF and the refrigerator between 36 to 42ºF.

Excellent! Thank you!
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 02:49 AM

I bought a new fridg two years ago to replace the so so 30 year old one. I was going to put in garage so when I laid it over to slide it out there I noticed the coils were clogged with cat hair. After cleaning and plugged up it runs better than new, now all the water bottles and drinks go in there. Even the hard to please wife said it’s great!! WinWin on that one for once.!
While it was in kitchen it would kick off every so often, reason for the new one.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 03:26 AM

If you really just need the freezer, new deep freezers are pretty inexpensive.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/22/24 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
If you really just need the freezer, new deep freezers are pretty inexpensive.

We have one of them too, in the house. I also use the frig part for beer, water, soda, marinating meat and brining chicken etc.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/23/24 10:03 PM

This works awesome. The freezer is now -7°, it was hanging around 17°-19°, in less than 8 hours. Thank you again.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/24/24 01:48 AM

That lifetime of sticker accumulation! Nooooooooo!!!!

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/24/24 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by moparjim79

No, that is probably a couple of weeks worth. I get dozens everyday. Tool boxes, cabinets and entire garage door are done. Never on the cars though.

Attached picture 100_1684.jpg
Attached picture 100_1685.jpg
Attached picture rsz_20161104_213725_004.jpg
Attached picture 20210320_161540.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/24/24 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by moparjim79

No, that is probably a couple of weeks worth. I get dozens everyday. Tool boxes, cabinets and entire garage door are done. Never on the cars though.

My question, did you hire a maid to keep your shop so neat and organized? If I’m in my shop for 8 hours I spend 6 looking for parts and tools (got 4 double tool boxes) full and still got em all over. Still can’t find that dang 10 mm and have maybe 20 lol.

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/24/24 03:59 AM

I always clean up after a job is finished. That way when I start the next job I know where everything is. During the job, it is a disaster just like everyone else's garages. With all the fabricating and having built dozens of engines transmissions, rear ends and complete cars out of this garage.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/24/24 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

This works awesome. The freezer is now -7°, it was hanging around 17°-19°, in less than 8 hours. Thank you again.

I'm glad to pass that little tip along Guitar, and I'm happy it worked well for you.

I've been doing this for years and when people come over and go to get a drink, I get some blank stares at first.
Posted By: Droop69

Re: Any tricks to help a garage frig work better? - 01/26/24 01:28 PM

Ambient compensator kit can be installed for some models.
© 2024 Moparts Forums