Moparts

Hot sauce?

Posted By: calmopar

Hot sauce? - 10/26/23 03:44 PM

I find that my hobbies I share with people often overlap. I am guessing there are some hot sauce aficionados here. Anyone grow chiles and/or make their own hot sauce? I've got about 15-20 varieties of peppers just finishing up and have made 8 different sauces this year. I've got maybe 4-5 more sauces to go I think. I've got a few quart jars fermenting and will sauce those up when they are ready too.

Any favorites out there? Just like engine builds, sauces can go from mild to wild. Mildest is using a Grenada Seasoning Pepper, wildest is using a Ghost+Purple Death+7 Pot Primo combo.

If you've got any recipes you are willing to share please do.

Attached picture IMG_20230904_213438.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20231010_130040.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20231025_110412.jpg
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/26/23 04:48 PM

I stumbled across this recipe a while back and although it is very hot everyone that's tried it really likes it. You can dial the heat back by using some milder peppers but scotch bonnets and habaneros really do have a great taste to them under all the heat. If it's too acidic I add some honey to balance it out. If you have a meat grinder definitely use that over a food processor for the right texture.

https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/2278/traditional_caribbean_pepper_sauce/

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/26/23 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by EV2RTSE
I stumbled across this recipe a while back and although it is very hot everyone that's tried it really likes it. You can dial the heat back by using some milder peppers but scotch bonnets and habaneros really do have a great taste to them under all the heat. If it's too acidic I add some honey to balance it out. If you have a meat grinder definitely use that over a food processor for the right texture.

https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/2278/traditional_caribbean_pepper_sauce/

Thanks! I've never tried that kind of sauce but do have a productive Scotch Bonnet plant so I'll give it a go.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/26/23 10:15 PM

Anyone ever watch the TV show "Hot Ones" on AXS TV?

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/28/23 12:14 AM

All I hear are crickets.... nobody has ever seen Hot One's? panic
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/28/23 04:03 PM

Those labels are hilarious!!

I don't have the patience to grow peppers myself but certainly appreciate a good hot sauce. I have 3-4 different varieties in the fridge right now. A local favorite is Papa Turt's. I also have more basic ones like the Texas Pete hotter sauce, that's one of my daily drivers for heat. Old Bay has a hot sauce now that I'm enjoying as well. The Mule Sauce that comes in Sticker Mule orders is decent as well.

Hot Ones is really fun to watch, it's interesting to see how each guest reacts to the different levels of heat. Sean is also a great interviewer and asks some well thought out questions.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/28/23 04:35 PM

I watch it occasionally. Depending who is on there take it better than others. Red watering eyes and looking like they are going to pass out! Not a fan but i will watch others do it.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/28/23 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite

I watch it occasionally. Depending who is on there take it better than others. Red watering eyes and looking like they are going to pass out! Not a fan but i will watch others do it.

when "hot ones" was mentioned, the first thing i thought of was cutting off a spring bolt with a torch and having it land inside your shoe, or worse yet, in your pants......... panic laugh2
beer

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/28/23 06:06 PM

"Hot One's" could be construed as many things I suppose.
Dropping a hot bolt down your pants would make for a really bad day... LOL eek
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/28/23 11:40 PM

Hot sauce hasn`t been so hot to me since COVID. Still don`t have my taste back completely.

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/29/23 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Hot sauce hasn`t been so hot to me since COVID. Still don`t have my taste back completely.

Wow.. that really sucks... sorry to hear that 😕
Thankfully I got all my sense of taste and smell back, after I had COVID.

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/29/23 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva

YES! I watch it on YouTube. Amazing how different the reactions are.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/29/23 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva

Hell no! Never heard of it.

My #1 favorite sauce is original Tabasco. It's not just the hot - it's the taste.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/29/23 08:50 PM

I like a more traditional sauce.

https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/152/print

I grow scotch bonnets that are not as hot as I like the flavor of them but the heat is to much for some people.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/29/23 10:37 PM

in a word..... carolina reapers....
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/30/23 03:05 AM

This is a recipe (a friend of mine) that we affectionately refer to as $chit sauce. A friend of mine got this from someone else, then tweaked it to his palate. It's more of a spread/dipping sauce than something that you'd sprinkle on your food, but I guess that could be changed also.
Being here on the coast we have occasional shrimp boils. My personal favorite way to eat $chit sauce is mixed with cocktail sauce...also known as $chit-tail sauce. Now regular $chit sauce is really good on a cracker with cheese and summer sausage...or...

Habanero Sauce (AKA [censored] Sauce)

18 Habanero Peppers
4 Cloves Garlic, peeled
3 Carrots, peeled
Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt to taste

Cut peppers in half and seed 8-12 (depends on how hot you want it). Leave seeds in remaining peppers. Cut carrots into 1-2 inch pieces. Place peppers, garlic and carrots in blender. Turn on and add vinegar until it all blends together. Add vinegar and puree into a “soupy” consistency. Move operation outside (will stink up the house). Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes, stirring frequently while drinking beer, until it reaches the desired consistency. I like it a little runny, but thick enough to stick to whatever you’re dipping. If it gets too thick, add more vinegar…too thin, keep cooking. Add salt to taste. Cool and then put back in blender and puree until smooth. Bottle and enjoy in moderation.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/30/23 04:52 PM

I dont make hot sauces but collect and eat them. I do make salsas however. Here are some of the latest ones we have added to our rather large collections. Almost as big as the whiskey and tequilla collection.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/30/23 05:23 PM

There are many that are just stupid hot - AND I LIKE HOT STUFF. My son and I recently tried that hot chip that caused deaths. YEP it was hot. Stupid hot. No reason I should have tried it and wont again.
L
But I buy Tabasco Chipolte by the case and use like katsup
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Hot sauce? - 10/30/23 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 71TA
There are many that are just stupid hot - AND I LIKE HOT STUFF. My son and I recently tried that hot chip that caused deaths. YEP it was hot. Stupid hot. No reason I should have tried it and wont again.
L
But I buy Tabasco Chipolte by the case and use like katsup

I agree, I prefer something thats gonna be hot at least ad some flavor as well.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Hot sauce? - 11/01/23 02:04 PM

Not a hot sauce fan myself.
I am glad that I learned straight powdered sugar into the mouth works better than ice water.

but in the medical news this morning:

https://www.realclearscience.com/bl...n_treat_diabetes_and_obesity_989846.html

Re: Hot sauce? - 11/01/23 02:30 PM

Recently the relatively cheap and over the counter supplement
Taurine has been getting attention as a “Long Covid Effects” treatment

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-10-amino-acid-play-key-role.html

Earlier the simple amino acid Taurine got attention because the blood of children has ten times the concentration of Taurine than elderly people.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-06-taurine-key-longer-healthier-life.html

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230616/Does-taurine-deficiency-speed-up-aging.aspx

I started taking Taurine.
I have noticed unexpected and unmentioned effects:
all my fingernails are growing faster, thicker and stronger.

My left thumbnail used to keep splitting at one spot, and that has stopped, which was a welcome change

Re: Hot sauce? - 11/05/23 07:53 PM

Japanese wasabi sauce is mildly hot & may help memory:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-11-volunteers-wasabi-short-long-term-memory.html

sample quote

The team asked 72 Japanese volunteers between the ages of 60 and 80 to take either a wasabi tablet (containing 0.8 milligrams of 6-MSITC) or a placebo tablet every night before going to bed for 12 weeks. The researchers screened out people with known ailments, mental disorders, memory problems and those taking certain medications or who were heavy drinkers.

Each volunteer was also asked to take cognitive and memory tests before and after the test period.

The test results showed that the volunteers who took the wasabi tablets exhibited improvements in both long- and short-term memory but experienced no changes in cognitive ability. The researchers also found that those taking the wasabi tablets did better on association tests, such as connecting names to faces, which prior research has shown is a common problem in aging adults. The volunteers who were given a placebo showed no memory or cognitive improvements, however.

end quote

The above is a way better clinical trial than the highly questionable 20 person “Prevagen” endeavor that has become infamous.

Re: Hot sauce? - 11/20/23 03:17 PM

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-11-treatment-patients-covid.html

sample quote

The research team used a stellate ganglion block,
which includes injecting anesthetic directly into the stellate ganglion on one side of the neck to stimulate the regional autonomic nervous system.

The minimally invasive procedure takes less than 10 minutes, and no sedation or intravenous analgesia is necessary.
...snip...

Follow-up was obtained for 37 patients (65%), with 22 (59%) of the 37 reporting improved symptoms at one week post-injection. Of these 22, 18 (82%) reported significant progressive improvement by one month post-procedure. At three months, there was a mean 49% improvement in symptoms (range 10% to 100%) among the 22 patients.

end quote
© 2024 Moparts Forums