Moparts

Stupid shower drain question

Posted By: MI_Custumz

Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 10:49 AM

I have a square shower grate with two holes holding it down to the drain. I was cleaning the drain the other day and lost a screw. I was curious as if it needs to be there. I ran a piece of fishing line down the hole and it came out and went down the drain. Now the stupid question (more for piece of mind), will it leak into the crawlspace or is it fine? I am not sure what type of drain it is, but can take pictures if need be. I am assuming it's good without a screw, but we all know what happens when you assume......
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 02:25 PM

Typically the grate has nothing to do with the drain sealing. It is there to keep craposis from going down the drain and plugging the trap. I would also guess that your local hardware store would sell you a new screw. grin
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 03:30 PM

Why not just take the remaining screw to hardware store and get another? I don't think it's a big deal with only one but I'd want it right.
Posted By: calmopar

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Why not just take the remaining screw to hardware store and get another? I don't think it's a big deal with only one but I'd want it right.

this is the way
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 06:02 PM

Just take the screw to ACE hardware and match it up to get a new SS Screw.
Myself i would by 2 so they both look the same as well
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
But that'll be an extra fifty cents!!! What's wrong with you????
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Typically the grate has nothing to do with the drain sealing. It is there to keep craposis from going down the drain and plugging the trap. I would also guess that your local hardware store would sell you a new screw. grin
what he said
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/25/23 11:57 PM

Last time I got a new screw, the old one was jealous. rolleyes

The missing screw will not cause a leak into the crawl space. I would be worried about the drain cover popping up and stubbing a toe on it. Two screw are preferred.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/26/23 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by 340SIX
But that'll be an extra fifty cents!!! What's wrong with you????

A fifty cent SCREW at ACE Hardware, What century are you in LOL beer
Posted By: TJP

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/26/23 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by 67vertman
Last time I got a new screw, the old one was jealous. rolleyes

LOL up
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/26/23 10:18 AM

With all the personal cr@p I have going on at home, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't leak. I am going to Lowe's after work today to find some screws.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/26/23 11:04 AM

My “cussing” up stairs shower drain problem was that the house builders in 1983 ran a HPDE black plastic pipe to the drain which was made for PVC.

“Mortite” cord caulking, a string like sealing material that does not harden, finally made a water tight seal after trying nearly everything else.

https://www.frostking.com/products/weatherstripping/mortite-caulking-cord
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Stupid shower drain question - 10/26/23 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
With all the personal cr@p I have going on at home, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't leak. I am going to Lowe's after work today to find some screws.

Yep, it seems like when one thing goes wrong, Mr.Karma comes along and piles on. P.S. They usually come in groups of three, ask me how I know.... whiney
© 2024 Moparts Forums