Moparts

FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials?

Posted By: 2boltmain

FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/16/23 06:27 PM

Not BIAS ply but Fiberglass belted radial tires. I have some Pro street Hoosier 29x15x15 rear tires. They are steel belted radials. I would like 28" tall skinny front runners and Mickey Thompson makes them...But...... their Sportsman SR tires (The flame pattern tread) are actually fiberglass radials. Can I safely run Fiberglas radials up front with steel radials in the rear? Hoosier front runners only go to 26." My second option is an all season 205 /75 R15 on a 5" wide wheel but I really want that skinny front runner look. Truck has no significant power (95 Dakota with stock 318) and wont for a long time.
Posted By: jcc

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/16/23 07:10 PM

IMO, in your current combination, any difference/effect from material construction would be nearly imperceivable.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/16/23 07:37 PM

No I wouldn't mix them together,not safe. tsk
Posted By: stumpy

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/16/23 08:25 PM

why not safe?
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 12:00 AM

I thought I drove this mix on my 70 coronet when I had to change out a flat tire ,the car drove screwy,and I friend told me not to mix the tires like that, of course it was years ago. twocents
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 12:34 AM

They're fine together. The material of the belt isn't nearly as important as the construction.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred
They're fine together. The material of the belt isn't nearly as important as the construction.

This guy gets it. A radial tire is a radial tire. I wouldn't mix them on an axle but front/rear...no problem.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 11:09 AM

Yep. Mixing bias and radials is an issue. If one must, it's recommended to have the bias on front.

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 01:44 PM

Ok thank you. I didn't go with the Mickey Thompson rear tires because I don't care for the flame tread pattern. Looks very 2001ish. I don't mind it on the front though. I ASSUMED all belted construction was steel. I didn't know the MT tires were fiberglass belted. Heard a rumor and then actually had to search a lot online to see they're fiberglass. But The MT tires are great quality and safe-- again I just didn't want that pattern on the rear.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 02:37 PM

Construction differences are more pronounced and more important than material differences. All tires are belted, whether it is bias belted or radial belted. The belts are what's under the rubber that determine all the ride and load characteristics.

Materials for radials can be steel, polyester, fiberglass, Twaron, Kevlar, or combinations of these.

Mixing of bias and radial on a car does create different feel because of the radials tendency to be more compliant while the bias ply tends to be more rigid. This can create conflicting feel and reaction that can make the car feel different. Mixing them won't automatically make your car burst into flames and if you understand the handling differences, you can adjust driving technique. However, for most of us, its easier to simply put compatible tires on all four corners.

I don't doubt that the old Polyglas tires, the BFG belted TA and radial TA , Pontiac's radial tuned suspension of the mid 70s, and all the warnings of mixing tire construction when we were younger has created some fuzzy memories for some of us.
Posted By: moparx

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 04:16 PM

i would be more concerned with the increased understeer induced by the large rear tires and super skinny "pizza cutter" fronts.
if one can understand and deal with that, the tire composition issue becomes moot.
beer

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/17/23 10:00 PM

This is the specific tire. Can be used on a rim width of 3.5" to 5". Id go with a 4" wide wheel.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-6678
Posted By: Neil

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/18/23 12:03 AM

Hoosier makes radial pro street front tires also if you still are shopping options.

Re: FIBERGLASS radial tires. Compatible w STEEL belt radials? - 09/18/23 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
Hoosier makes radial pro street front tires also if you still are shopping options.

True but only 26" tall. I want 27" to 28"
© 2024 Moparts Forums