Moparts

Spontaneous unplanned disassembly

Posted By: GomangoCuda

Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 07:08 PM

Yesterday between 6:30pm and 8:30pm the tempered glass top on our patio table exploded. All pieces are 1/4" or smaller. Nothing appears to have hit it. It just self destructed. I looked at security cam to see if any people or bears were responsible. Nothing, it just exploded.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 07:21 PM

Moparts Ghost of 8 3/4 chunks past........... panic
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 07:21 PM

Happens often, from what I've heard-oven doors.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by moparjim79
Happens often, from what I've heard-oven doors.

And sunroofs...
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 07:29 PM

https://szdragonglass.com/how-to-avoid-tempered-glass-self-explosion/
Posted By: GY3

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA

LOL!

Only the OG Moparts members will remember this.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 07:53 PM

That and whacking an armadillo on the head with a rallye wheel. up
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 08:13 PM

Too funny, I was about to post the very same thing....... laugh2

So, who still has a pic of that memorable moment? shruggy
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 08:19 PM

About 8 years ago the wife and I were in the living watching TV, middle of the day and heard what (to me) sounded like someone smashed through one of the windows in the back of the house. My first though, shoot, the guns are all in the back of the house. So I quickly and quietly slipped down the hallway, grabbed a pistol from the bedroom, and began to slowly check each room. When I got to the bathroom, there it was...one of the shower door had self destructed.
Once I got the mess cleaned up I googled it, and sure enough, it's fairly common, although in all my years I'd never heard of such a thing.
Posted By: hp383

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 09:52 PM

I just came here to ask if there was an 8-3/4 chunk involved, but I see thats already been covered.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 10:17 PM

Ive had one do that long ago... thought it was just a fluke.

Modern car windows do it much more often then one thinks.

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/03/23 10:22 PM

That and whacking an armadillo on the head with a rallye wheel. up

I just read that you can catch leprosy from an armadillo. So whack away just don't pick it up .
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 12:30 AM

I had one spontaneous break once... whistling

Attached picture Table.jpg
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 02:15 AM

Back in the '80's a bunch of Honda Accord rear windows shattered. The cause for those was a bad connection at the window defroster grid.

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ramrod39

Is that what a few other 8 3/4 comments were about? Mine didn't have anything heavier than a couple dead bugs on it. Same result except the frame stayed together.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
About 8 years ago the wife and I were in the living watching TV, middle of the day and heard what (to me) sounded like someone smashed through one of the windows in the back of the house. My first though, shoot, the guns are all in the back of the house. So I quickly and quietly slipped down the hallway, grabbed a pistol from the bedroom, and began to slowly check each room. When I got to the bathroom, there it was...one of the shower door had self destructed.
Once I got the mess cleaned up I googled it, and sure enough, it's fairly common, although in all my years I'd never heard of such a thing.

SAME with us a few years ago in our main floor bathroom. The shower door glass just exploded. Bad part is one of our cats heard this & ran into the bathroom to see what the he!! had just happened. She was in & out of the bathroom before I got there, & had stepped in a bunch of tiny glass shards, but she was fine afterword. When I cleaned-up in there, there was fine glass splinters & powder EVERYWHERE, so I know our kitt got this on the bottom of her paws. She was OK though. Very dangerous situation. What if this had happened if someone was in the shower? Where would you step?
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

Is that what a few other 8 3/4 comments were about? Mine didn't have anything heavier than a couple dead bugs on it. Same result except the frame stayed together.

Yup. laugh2 up
Posted By: A12

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 03:46 AM

Yep but back then it wasn't a mystery just similar results. Climate change is causing too much atmospheric pressure I'm sure. wink
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 06:09 AM

I saw my first car rear window break unexpected into tiny little parts like your describing like tempered glass will do when hit hard enough. It was a curve rear window in 1955 Mercury two door hardtop a little after sunrise in the winter time in Blythe, CA in 1958, it wasn't cold but the car was cover in dew and the outside air temps may have been in the low to mid 50F. shruggy
Stuff happens sometimes that we don't understand and that was one of them shruggy
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 09:31 AM

Yesterday between 6:30pm and 8:30pm the tempered glass top on our patio table exploded. All pieces are 1/4" or smaller. Nothing appears to have hit it. It just self destructed. I looked at security cam to see if any people or bears were responsible. Nothing, it just exploded.

We had one do this as well(without a center section either) while we sitting at it! Heaviest thing on it was a couple 12 oz beers. My daughter's lap was covered in those glass pieces. Nobody got hurt though...big mess to clean up!
Posted By: 360view

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 11:32 AM

Interesting article!

There goes my plan for a cheap tempered glass deep diving submarine.....
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 360view

Interesting article!

There goes my plan for a cheap tempered glass deep diving submarine.....

Because the Carbon Fiber idea was already taken and proven wrong?
Posted By: wingman

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 12:34 PM

Classic.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 01:48 PM

One of my friends had a side glass in a Tahoe self destruct two days ago. Body shop said it was the heat we've had (high 90's).
Posted By: fal3

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/04/23 05:40 PM

The Mrs is a claims/quality control manager for an auto hauler company here in Houston. The heat is causing rear windows to blow out at least 1-2 a day. Windshield guys are gonna make some $$$. Who says extreme climate change has no positives, huh?
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/06/23 04:40 PM

Yeah but where are the "wheelie bins" in all this? I guess they are being used to put the tempered glass in... laugh2
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Spontaneous unplanned disassembly - 08/07/23 12:53 AM

bow up
© 2024 Moparts Forums