Moparts

Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you?

Posted By: rdrnr6970

Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/07/23 10:08 PM

We've been dealing with it here at the shore since monday,highways closed,etc..horrible.My wife has asthma it's been effecting her also and I'm sure others even I'm coughing now.We closed the windows and put on the windows,gotta try something..Even the phillies game is cancelled in phila and Yankees game in ny.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/07/23 11:24 PM

I cannot help but notice that none of the TV reporters
are giving the numbers about how many tons of carbon dioxide are being released by the forest fires,
or how the dark smoke and soot in the air absorbs more infra-red wavelengths of light being emitted upward from the warm earth,
enhancing what is wrongly termed “The Greenhouse Effect.”

It is a good time to reflect that 64 million years ago the asteroid hit rained down hot rocks and set forests afire all over the Earth,
so this is just a tiny, tiny, taste of that awful day,
or of “Nuclear Winter.”

I wonder what the
PM 2.5 uM pollution level is.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/07/23 11:30 PM

Not seeing it in Indiana, but Accuweather shows the air quality as poor here. Different strokes evidently.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/07/23 11:45 PM

Got to love it.

Today is National Clean Air Day in Canada

Well Done Canuks!

Maybe the forest fires were started from a downed chinese weather balloon. smile
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/07/23 11:45 PM

.........We've been dealing with it here at the shore since monday,......

I'm straight across the water from you on the south shore of Long Island and it smells terrible outside. Smells like a combo of an electrical fire and wood burning.
Posted By: dart games

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/07/23 11:46 PM

seen a vid where a helecopter was dropping fire on the trees.radio says it was cause by the exhaust on a pick up.its a distarction so your not talking about woke companys.and the trans people.and they want you to stay inside..there pushing as polution.more climate change crap

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/07/23 11:54 PM

Yeah it smells bad we're not far from LBI in south jersey,and there's a real strong haze all around this area the smokiness looks like a fog,then there was a fire from a jackson n.j. adding to things with the smoke they said to 70 percent contained.The news said it might be better tomorrow,I guess we'll see.
Posted By: 71sat440

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 12:16 AM

In PA near Philly...........Cloudy everywhere, smells like wood burning (obviously) but it's strong. Kind of amazed in can be this cloudy this far south. Though at my lunch time I actually thought everything had an extra tinge of orange.
Posted By: The_Blue_Dodge

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 12:22 AM

The haze and smell have gotten worse here in Philly.
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by John Brown
Not seeing it in Indiana, but Accuweather shows the air quality as poor here. Different strokes evidently.

At night look at a street light, that isn't fog, lol. Its the same here, barely noticeable but you can see it at night.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 12:53 AM

It has been rolling down Lake Michigan for weeks now and making some awesome sunsets! The first day it blew in was 85 degrees and then all of the sudden an inland hurricane blasted through and it was 57 degrees in less than 15 minutes! I thought the neighbors house was on fire then smell was so strong! A couple hours later I heard about it on the weather forecast on TV. It is still affection us now... flame I heard on the news this morning while I was in Lincoln, NE about New Dorker's complaining about it, they are about a month late like normal... tsk
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 01:36 AM

Got to love it.

Well Done Canuks!

Maybe the forest fires were started from a downed chinese weather balloon.

Ha ... ha ... ha. Funny man !!
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 02:46 AM

Hazy here in SE Michigan - my daughter was talking about it tonight while on our way to Culvers for a bite. We need rain BAD!
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 03:00 AM

How far south is it going? I'm down here near Houston, and both my nose and throat have been a little irritated the past couple of days (I have been outside more than usual)......... no

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 09:44 AM

Radio this morning is saying
“It is like New York City residents are smoking a pack of cigarettes per day”
due to the smoke.

I wonder how quickly it will clog a HEPA filter that usually lasts 6 months?

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 10:49 AM

We just got our car serviced and I had them change the cabin filters too,it has 60,000 miles on it and with all this smoke and particles in the air I figured it couldn't hurt. drive
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 11:04 AM

I'm working in The Latrobe PA area. Its relatively clear here, but in the distance all around you can see the "fog". I'm an hour-ish from Pittsburgh, I saw this a.m. on news its pretty bad there. My wife let me know last night everything had an oranges tint/fog in the distance. I use respiratory correcting drugs, not looking forward to going back home to this.
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 11:51 AM

Weather channel says visibility is less than two miles here in central Virginia. Smells like smoke outside.

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 12:13 PM

Yesterday PM 2.5 numbers from Thurs Wall Street Journal

New York City 413
Philadelphia 233
Washington DC 168
Chicago. 119
Detroit. 115
Atlanta. 108
Nashville. 87
Boston. 42

415 wild fires in Canada of which 238 are burning “out of control”

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 01:08 PM

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/asia/new-york-air-quality-beijing-delhi-intl-hnk/index.html

sample quote

Last year, six of the world’s 10 most polluted cities were in India, according to monitoring network IQAir. Researchers have estimated that bad air could be reducing the life expectancy of hundreds of millions of Indians by as much as nine years; in 2019, air pollution is thought to have caused nearly 1.6 million deaths in the country.

The capital New Delhi is regularly shrouded in smog, thanks to several factors including vehicle emissions, coal-fired power plants, and the annual practice of burning agricultural fields to prepare land for its next crop.

That means its people are exposed to high levels of fine particulate matter, or PM2.5, a widely used indicator of harmful air pollution. The tiny pollutant is highly dangerous; when inhaled, it can travel deep into lung tissue and enter the bloodstream, and has been linked to health problems including asthma and heart disease.
snip

For years, residents in the Chinese capital breathed in acrid air every day. It culminated in the infamous 2013 “air-pocalypse,” when the air quality index hit 755, smashing what was supposed to be the top of the scale at 500, according to the US Embassy in Beijing that kept a daily air quality monitor. That historic high meant the air was beyond hazardous, forcing residents to shut themselves indoors, wear filtered face masks, and crank air purifiers on high.

end quote
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 04:30 PM

Just 3 mi south of lake Ontario...its pretty thick. To the point you can taste it. No getting away from it.
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by crackedback
Got to love it.

Well Done Canuks!

Maybe the forest fires were started from a downed chinese weather balloon. smile

Yes, Canada clearly should have chosen another day on which to have forest fires. I'm sure the people who lost their homes to the fires would agree completely.

Sorry for your bad air. Mother Nature must not like you guys either. wink
Posted By: moparx

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/08/23 05:48 PM

coder pa. is roughly 82 miles north of pittsburgh, and for the last several days, it's been kind of foggy if one looks off in the distance, but not noticeable when standing outside. getting out of the "city", it is very noticeable.
however, just stepping out of the house, it smells like a camp fire. not good for my wife who has copd..........
the air in jefferson county [where coder is located] is labeled as "unsafe" according to the tv weather map, and will be so for the next several days.
beer
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/09/23 03:43 AM

We're close to it, the last few days were a bit hazy out and no real bad smell just like burning wood. Today seemed pretty much back to normal.

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/09/23 09:10 AM

Is Canada doing “Forest Management” right ?

I have no formal training in Forestry, but I did have the unique experience of living for several years surrounded by the various tracts of the of the Duke Forest. I have walked well over 3,000 miles along the one lane wide “Fire Roads” of the Duke Forest, and along the single file side trails. Many times I came across groups of Forestry students listening to in the field classes. I have seen the aftermath of fire fighting, clear cutting for fire breaks, and helicopter logging after Hurricane Fran dropped
several tornados that left big circular areas of downed trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Forest

I did not know it at the time, but all this time I was walking just a few miles from the BLS4 Laboratory where Dr Ralph Baric of UNC was researching coronaviruses.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/10/23 02:40 PM

Got hit with it Tuesday afternoon, Was at work with the doors open. At first it smelled like someone was smoking a cigar and a thin haze in the air. By the time i left we had to close the doors due to the smoke. Thick haze everywhere and it lasted until Thursday afternoon when it started to clear. It was bad!

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/11/23 02:43 PM

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/canada-wildfires-intensify-could-last-all-summer-4111388

sample quote

New and intensifying fires are forcing the evacuation of thousands across Canada as the country battled out-of-control blazes that a provincial minister warned on Saturday could last "all summer."

Nearly 17,800 square miles have burned since the beginning of the year, well above previous averages.

The country's west has been particularly hit. After several days of respite, fires intensified in Alberta, where Friday night the town of Edson saw its second evacuation since May.

"The fire is so out of control that some forestry crews have had to back off," said Luc Mercier, chief administrative officer of Yellowhead County, where Edson is located. "They can't fight this fire."

end quote

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 06/13/23 10:08 AM

Good article by a long time weather researcher in the Wall Street Journal Tuesday about how the Canada forest fires and path of the smoke was “bad luck” that has happened at least twice before in the last 200 years. He claims these “Boreal Forests” depend on fire for seed sprouting and new growth, similar to the big fire at Yellowstone National Park decades ago.

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 08/14/23 11:49 AM

Forest fire hits the news again,
this time in Lahaina.

Vast amount written in short time, enough to tire my eyes out.

Look anew at roads and types of fuel around your residence or business.

Look anew at whether the plants around your residence are native or new species and ponder how they might burn.

Think about if you have a road vehicle or ATV that on a moment’s notice could take you and yours away from a rapid fire’s path.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Is the forest fire from Canada effecting you? - 08/14/23 12:16 PM

It has came and went here a few times this summer , a day or two it was really bad
© 2024 Moparts Forums