Moparts

RIP Satilite73

Posted By: SattyNoCar

RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 12:48 AM

No, I'm not dead, just my screen name. I sold off my namesake today. For the 1st time in nearly 40 yrs, I no longer have a 440 or a vintage Mopar in my possession. 'Life' just keeps getting in the way. Haven't driven it since 2010, haven't turned a wrench on it since 2012, and with me becoming my Mother's caregiver, time and money are only going to get more scarce (not complaining about my Mother).

Not to mention it's simply not as fun as it used to be. Time to let go.

While I didn't get quite what I wanted, I'm grateful it didn't end up in a junkyard. I think it went to a good (Mopar) home. The new owner intends to do what I wasn't able to achieve. He claims he's going to keep in touch with me and share pics as he makes progress on the wagon. I hope so.

I'm still in a little bit of shock over it. It'll probably take a few days for the full reality of it to hit me.

The dream is dead, long live the dream..........

Posted By: 3hundred

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 01:57 AM

Bigger and better things are coming for you. I wish you the best, your task is not easy.
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 02:00 AM

Some tough decisions but stay on the boards here. I am currently without a Mopar also, but waiting for a 68 RR to come available.
Posted By: TJP

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by SALEM1912
Some tough decisions but stay on the boards here. I am currently without a Mopar also, but waiting for a 68 RR to come available.

iagree Your comments are helpful and possibly we can help you by serving as a distraction for what your gong through beer
Posted By: A12

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by SALEM1912

iagree Your comments are helpful and possibly we can help you by serving as a distraction for what your gong through beer

iagree up

Mike
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 04:31 AM

Sorry about the car, but happy birthday! boogie
Posted By: A12

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by slantzilla
Sorry about the car, but happy birthday! boogie

Yeah HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO ! up

Mike
Posted By: basketcase

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 01:03 PM

I sold my road runner last Spring. After I lost my job, the car mostly sat. I finally had a finished car, and I just wasn't driving it much. It wasn't the '80s or '90s anymore, and I got too picky where I'd drive it. I always said I wasn't going to be one of those guys that never drove their car. Used part of the money and took my Bride to Hawaii for our 31st annivesary. I still have two 440s and a four speed...sitting in a corner in the garage. And I have my Stepside that I'm adding some Lil Red/Warlock touches. And you're right...just not as fun as it used to be.
Posted By: wingman

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 01:17 PM

Don't be a stranger! Never know when another one might fall into your lap!
Posted By: chargervert

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 02:13 PM

Save your pennies and buy a nice clean turnkey wagon from out west that you can drive and enjoy now. Not everyone has time or funds to restore a Mopar project car.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 02:15 PM

Things do happen we're without a mopar Wright now too.But you couldn't tell between our involvement here,hitting Chryslers at carlisle,and some cool mopar stuff we have.Sounds like you did what you needed to do.I took care of my mother when she was ill we think alot of you for doing that it's not always easy.Anoth mopar will come along.Happy Birthday!All the best John and Ellie
Posted By: tboomer

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 03:03 PM

Happy Birthday John! I just sold my 64 Dodge drag car too...Pretty sad day but I will be looking for something that can be street driven. wave
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 03:30 PM

Hate to see it gone but, wishing you luck that you own it again someday soon enough.
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 04:00 PM

I don't want to see your name popping up on some Ford board! lol
Posted By: topside

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 04:25 PM

John, if you're not "into it" for long enough, it's just more stuff around your neck.
After going through a similar experience with my Mom, my awareness & priorities changed a bit.
I became more conscious of making the most of enjoying my time.
That could likely result in another, better, toy that will re-kindle the old-car-guy enjoyment.
I found a great car a couple years ago courtesy of this board and the people on it, so check in and stay involved.
Posted By: -Cuda

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 05:40 PM

Kind of had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. The cars just became dust collectors in my shop. Lost interest in one of the cars when the body shop lost some of the small items. I did not want to have to spend the $$ on more new parts. The other just sat. I had some good offers and decided to sell them for others to appreciate. Now I have a challenger widebody I rarely drive. Life's priorities change. Good luck.
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 05:42 PM

Just like that, an end of an era. Great time to look forward to better things ahead.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 07:31 PM

the more things change, the more they stay the same
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 08:22 PM

Geez John you did scare the crap out of me until I saw you were the poster!!!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/07/23 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Geez John you did scare the crap out of me until I saw you were the poster!!!

Ya, me too! Its really a relief that it was "just the car", though you may not feel that way right now.

Sooner or later, it happens to a lot of us, probably even most of us. Letting go of a dream is very hard. Priorities change, your priority changed from having an old car to taking care of your mother, that is a pretty Nobel tradeoff in my book.

Times are much different then they were 3 years ago. What could have been an achievable dream then may well not be such a thing these days, a change in responsibilities during these times requires new dreams.

It may be a good time to look into what you would really like (as you take care of mom). Having a car (or truck) you can get in and go for a 1/2 hour drive without concerns, or without dealing with some sort of issue, may be the lightening of the load you are caring be an escape you may need occasionally. There are times when the simplest pleasures change everything.

Then when better times come (they always do), you can revaluate your situation and move on from there in which direction seems correct then.

I've been building cars for 40 years, having a major project car that needs a full on build at this time in my life would be more like a nightmare then a dream. I sure like jumping into that way less then perfect old truck and going for a ride now and then though.
Posted By: TJP

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/08/23 01:40 AM

Happy b'day and hope you reconsider. Don't have to have a car to be a contributor. beer
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/08/23 02:49 AM

Sorry guys, didn't mean to give y'all a heart attack. blush I don't have anyone waiting in the wings to fill in for me, so if I kick off, I'll just be gone. frowwn (unless I haunt this place......)

Thanks for all the comments, they are appreciated. I'm not totally Mopar less, I still have my Dakota. While it is 30 yrs old (!), it's not the same kind of 'vintage'.

It was kinda crazy when the buyer came yesterday to get the wagon. I don't know if I angered the Gods or what, but the ONLY time it rained in the last three days was when we were trying to load the wagon. Not before, not after, just during. Pulling up my weather app showed one lone storm cloud, right over us. Weird. realcrazy shruggy

Was over there today cleaning the space up, it's gonna take me a while to get used to not seeing the wagon. bawling

[Linked Image]

Thanks again guys. beer
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/08/23 05:12 PM

It's a sad day, but an important distinction that you made that decision instead of letting it be made for you.

Will check out the video L8R when not at work.

You'll forever be one of the good guys around here as far as I am concerned, regardless of what kind of car you have.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/08/23 05:33 PM

looks to me you did yourself a favor getting rid of that thing. now get rid of that dakota and when ready go get some modern muscle. you'll be happier.
Posted By: moparx

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/08/23 05:54 PM

as my brother says when he sees an empty spot in my garage : "here comes that sucking sound..........." [and pretty soon, the "clear space" has been filled. laugh2]
hopefully, you will get another ride that runs and drives you can enjoy. all things happen for a reason.
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/09/23 12:06 AM

You are a stand up guy John, taking care of your mom and putting her first. I know it hurts to get rid of a longtime Mopar; been there and hate the feeling. But when life is less complicated and your mind a little clearer because of it I think you'll have another vintage Mopar. You should treat yourself to one in the future.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: RIP Satilite73 - 06/10/23 11:44 AM

Well, one door closes another opens.
My wife got struck with MS and then I lost my job. Not sure of the future I sold my LRE at a classic car auction. Had it nearly 20 years and my wife could hardly believe i came home with an empty trailer. (and neither could I)Things are better now. But I kept my screen name. grin
© 2024 Moparts Forums