Moparts

RIP Barry Newman

Posted By: kidmopar

RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 08:20 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/barry-newman-star-vanishing-point-151352912.html whiney

( He actually passed May 11th 2023 ). shruggy
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 08:28 PM

RIP angel
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 08:47 PM

A SUPERCHARGED Challenger?
Posted By: John Brown

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969

A Latham could have fit under the hood... maybe.

Attached picture latham supercharger.jpg
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 09:30 PM

So hard to believe he was 92. I don't think I ever saw him in anything else so he was always that age.
Posted By: BDW

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 09:37 PM

Embarrassed to say I've never seen VP.
Where can i find it?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 10:03 PM

Online search for sure.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 10:05 PM

God Bless em. angel
Posted By: John Brown

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/04/23 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Embarrassed to say I've never seen VP.
Where can i find it?

145 minute version --> https://ok.ru/video/991982914073 <--

138 minute version --> https://ok.ru/video/1430882814662 <--

OK dot RU is a safe movie site, no ads, at least with my ad blocker.

Don't know what was cut or added to make the difference in the two versions.

If you don't go full screen, it will ask you to sign in. If you go full screen, it won't ask you to sign in.

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 12:17 AM

[/quote]Don't know what was cut or added to make the difference in the two versions.
[/quote]

The deleted scene in the US version shows Kowalski driving through the night in route to San Francisco when he stops to pick up an attractive hitchhiker dressed in black, played by Charlotte Rampling. As they drive in awkward silence she starts to smoke marijuana and offers Kowalski a drag. This scene was cut from the U.S. release partly because it shows people smoking weed.
Posted By: BDW

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 12:19 AM

This might be heresy, but my god, that has to be 1 of the worst movies ever made!
If it wasn't for the Challenger it's a complete zero.

Oh well, now I've seen it.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 12:21 AM

From a police radio call. About 38:55 in the 1:45 version.

This is car 44 reading you loud and clear, over.

Where are you, car 44?

We're on 80, some ten miles from Argenta, over.

Oh, good. Stay with it. Watch for a white Challenger, licence plates initial OA-5599.

Colorado plates. Last seen heading for Dunphy on US 40 at cruising speed.

We have reason to believe it's supercharged, so maintain double alert till you spot it.

Then call in for instructions. Over and out.

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by BDW
This might be heresy, but my god, that has to be 1 of the worst movies ever made!

Evidently you watched the 1997 remake and not the 1971 classic. shruggy

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

From a police radio call. About 38:55 in the 1:45 version.

This is car 44 reading you loud and clear, over.

Where are you, car 44?

We're on 80, some ten miles from Argenta, over.

Oh, good. Stay with it. Watch for a white Challenger, licence plates initial OA-5599.

Colorado plates. Last seen heading for Dunphy on US 40 at cruising speed.

We have reason to believe it's supercharged, so maintain double alert till you spot it.

Then call in for instructions. Over and out.

It’s got a Hemi.. one funny part was he found the oil pan in a junk yard, right.
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 01:38 AM

God Speed Barry Newman.

I had always hoped he would be invited to Chryslers at Carlisle but that never came to be.

Some of the comments above refer to the 1997 remake starring Viggo Mortensen in the role of Kowalski.

The original 1971, starring Barry Newman, can be an acquired taste but considering the other movies being released at that time, it fits the anti-establishment style. I always enjoyed it.

Mike.
Posted By: TJP

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 01:48 AM

A classic IMO for sure, and has always had me wanting a white 70 Challenger R/T. RIP Barry angel
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 03:18 AM

There are two trailers floating around. There may have been more, I don't know. Both are edited quite differently. One has Yellow Titles, the other has white. One refers to the car as a "Dodge Challenger" the other, simply as "Challenger". Both however mention it's supercharged. I often wonder though, if that were just street speak for "Hopped up", because by 1970, "hopped-up" referred to something else. Although, in the movie itself, Kowalski mentions: "It's hopped-up to do 160".

Trailers: Vanishing Point "Short" Trailer Vanishing Point "Long" Trailer

BDW: You're probably referencing the paper thin plot. Unfortunately, at the time 20th Century Fox was going through a bit of a shake-up. The new Head of the company did not like the whole counter-culture deal, nor the drug use or the anti-vietnam ideals being portrayed in this film. Some have even said the new CEO simply did not like Dick Sarafian. Long story short, the production of the film was CUT by over three weeks and anywhere from 1 to 3 million dollars. Several scenes that were supposed to be filmed were cut; some of which I speculate were Kowalski's flashbacks to Vietnam and or more portrayals of him having PTSD. In one interview, Mr. Newman mentioned one scene he recalls being cut was that as soon as he crossed into Nevada, he stops to have a cigarette. Well, this scene would devolve into Kowalksi breaking down into a fit and having the scene transition back to his time in Vietnam to when he gets wounded. These wounds are later referred to in another flashback with his girlfriend Vera.

Speaking of that scene, I believe some dialogue was either cut or not recorded. Vera mentions his scars and how she loves them, but how he hates them. Kowalski replies: "I don't hate them, I just hate what they mean." Vera asks: "What do they mean?" to which Kowalski does not respond. Eventually Vera continues with her "Only if we make war against war..." quote. I believe Kowalski's response mentioned his Vietnam time or a scene that wasn't filmed. So they had to do a dirty edit to cover that.

I believe these trims and edits DO exist. On the back of the Japanese Video disc, there are two pictures. One of Kowalski breaking up a fight between two kids on bikes and his friend Jake, and another photo of a very 5-o'clock shadowed Kowalski which I think was something from either the end of the movie or the bit at the beginning which refers to the end. Not 100% sure.

Other actors from the film mention filming scenes that weren't in the film. Some sources say Cleavon Little filmed his scenes in less than 3 days, while an interview with Cleavon says he was on set for at least a week.

Regardless, we've all learned that a LOT of the plot was left on the cutting room floor. Much like Two Lane Blacktop; much of the story was lost just to maintain a cohesive story that wasn't 3 or 4 hours long.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 11:42 AM

RIP. I loved the original and actually enjoy the remake as well.
Posted By: theraif

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 02:52 PM

Posted By: Cometstorm

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 02:58 PM

Wow, just so sad. I was wondering how long he would be with us.

I somehow found his California address circa 2001, and snail mailed him pics of my VP replica.

He autographed them, and returned to me with a nice note.

He passed on May 11th, my 70th birthday.

I’m glad I had some interaction with him, if only by written correspondence. angel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 04:56 PM

Comet, that is indeed a very cool story! The original movie was a fabulous movie I thought. The remake - pretty lame. RIP Barry Newman - and I remember watching his TV show "Petrocelli." I liked that - his wife was a real hottie in that show too. I always liked his acting style.
Posted By: moparx

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 05:13 PM

angel

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 07:40 PM

There are two trailers floating around. There may have been more, I don't know. Both are edited quite differently. One has Yellow Titles, the other has white. One refers to the car as a "Dodge Challenger" the other, simply as "Challenger". Both however mention it's supercharged. I often wonder though, if that were just street speak for "Hopped up", because by 1970, "hopped-up" referred to something else. Although, in the movie itself, Kowalski mentions: "It's hopped-up to do 160".

Yea a 3/4 509 cam 2 Daytona AFBs recurved distributor running on AV gas, those media guys didn’t know what an engine was. But it sounded real hip!
Posted By: 71TA

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/05/23 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BDW

You wanna see a BAD movie from that time period? Watch the original Shaft. OMG its PAINFUL!!!!!!!! Theres a scene in a police chiefs office. An office with no windows. Nothing on the walls. A desk and file cabinet. They keep zooming in on a coffee cup. There is literally MINUTES of dead air silence!!!!!!! I'll never get that waste of time back. Then watch the modern version. We are so spoiled by the action, animation, high tech production. I actually watched both to compare the new and old movies. Never again smile

I'm gonna watch VP tonight to pay homage.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 04:07 AM

R.I.P. Barry. angel The original is a classic, but when released, it was not very popular. The other characters in the movie are great as well. Cleavon Little aka Super Soul was perfect. The old man who handled snake's, and lived in the desert, was great too. Kowalski got the last laugh in the end, since he never got caught by the fuzz!
Posted By: chargervert

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 11:42 AM

RIP Barry! Everytime that movie was on television, my 70 Challenger R/T 383 Magnum 4 speed car would get the balls beat out of it trying to imitating the full throttle speed shifts! I finally destroyed the clutch doing it!
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
R.I.P. Barry. . The old man who handled snake's, and lived in the desert, was great too. !

The desert rat was played by Dean Jagger, great actor. Also the General in White Christmas.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 65pacecar
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
R.I.P. Barry. . The old man who handled snake's, and lived in the desert, was great too. !

The desert rat was played by Dean Jagger, great actor. Also the General in White Christmas.

Dean Jagger was in quite a few old movies - not "B" movies either - very big box office movies. He was a great old Hollywood type.

Does anybody have the video that Motor Trend filmed in 2009-ish era where they took a NEW Challenger for Barry to evaluate? I tried to find it on YouTube, but could not find it. I tried the old Motor Trend link & the link was no good anymore. This was an awesome video!
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 06:46 PM

Not one mention of the young lady on the mini-bike yet? Dang, some ya'll must be gettin' old! shock

I have the British version on DVD, it has the directors comments, great history!

Maurice Unger of Cupid Productions also bought a 1970 Challenger T/A new off the lot well before the movie debut.

May Barry Newman Race In Peace. drive
Posted By: A990

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 07:15 PM

He was also the admin officer in 12 o'clock high.

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Not one mention of the young lady on the mini-bike yet? Dang, some ya'll must be gettin' old! shock

I have the British version on DVD, it has the directors comments, great history!

Maurice Unger of Cupid Productions also bought a 1970 Challenger T/A new off the lot well before the movie debut.

The Challenger T/A was the car Maurice showed to Richard Sefarian and asked him what he thought about using the car in the movie. He said what do you think about using this car as the star vehicle in the movie, I can get lots of them. Who could possibly forget the naked girl on the bike! Chrysler Executives were appalled by all the drug use and nudity in the film and completely disassociated themselves from the film after seeing the first private screening of the film. The cars from the film were rumored to have gone to the proving grounds and were most likely destroyed after being analyzed. None have surfaced to this day. A proving grounds employee said that he remembered seeing a trailer load of beat up white 70 Challengers there.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/06/23 11:57 PM

Super sole needs to dedicate a song.

I think Midnight Rider is appropriate

RIP Kawalski

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp

RIP Kawalski

I believe it was "Super Soul" work shruggy up

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 01:09 AM

AH YES ! Little GILDA TEXTER .......small but definitely "do-able" devil punkrocka
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 01:21 AM

The one i bought has both version's not sure it still sold that way. Interesting watch for sure
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by FastmOp

RIP Kawalski

Super Sole? The man was a DJ, not a shoe salesman.
It is KOWALSKI, not Kawalski, by the way.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 01:06 PM

Shame they didn't film the bike girl the same way in the new movie...the original was as flat as Bonneville.

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 02:14 PM

They were small,but perky!
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 03:20 PM

RIP Barry. Besides Vanishing Point, I kind of enjoyed the chase from his other movie. These 1972 Gran Torinos took a beating in this move as well.
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 06:05 PM

Interesting that Gilda Texter was actually a costume designer for films, and in her most memorable role she's remembered for NOT wearing a costume. up
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/07/23 08:30 PM

Man oh man chase scenes were so good in the 70's!!!

Lots of Phords but even those were cool to me back then. So were the Pontiacs. Just big tanks with big V8's. I love it. That Fury looked nice too, all nice and new up
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/08/23 01:35 AM

Great selling point for Torino's. Takes a licking & keeps ticking. Thanx for listing
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/11/23 03:46 PM

Yeah. It was the first year that the Torino was body on frame as well. I think that frame or platform pretty much evolved into the 1977-1979 Ford Thunderbird and Mercury Cougar before they went back to a Unibody under the "Fox" Platform. I know it's a personal opinion but, I like think the 1972 Ford Torino Sport is on top of my favorite designs from Ford for me personally. The car in the movie Barry drove didn't have the Laser Stripe installed but, that is one other thing I like about those Torinos is the "Laser Stripe" and I'll take one just like this one in the same combination. https://www.mainlymusclecars.com/copy-of-1972-mach-1-351-cobra-jet-4-s-1

[Linked Image]

Re: RIP Barry Newman - 06/11/23 04:17 PM

Ford should have kept the 71 grille with the hidden headlights,and they would have nailed that car. The grille looks like it belongs in a Lincoln, and the rest of the car is sporty.
© 2024 Moparts Forums