Moparts

Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/06/23 01:12 AM

One of the original members, RIP brother.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/06/23 03:33 PM

Yeah, saw that last night. It’s sad. Hopefully the band will finally hang it up. It’s been nothing but a Skynyrd cover band for the last 20 + years.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/06/23 03:40 PM

I saw “Skynyrd” about 5 yrs ago
At that time the drummer was the only original member.
Is he gone too?
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/06/23 04:13 PM

Bob Burns died several years ago. Artimus Pyle, his replacement, is still alive.

Not only have they been a cover band for the last 25 years, they've been a bad cover band at that. I watched a live performance of theirs from a few years ago, and other than Rickey Medlocke, they were brutally bad. Really, really, really bad. Like the kind of band that gets a Tuesday 1pm time slot at the county fair bad.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/06/23 06:38 PM

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/06/23 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Bob Burns died several years ago. Artimus Pyle, his replacement, is still alive.

Not only have they been a cover band for the last 25 years, they've been a bad cover band at that. I watched a live performance of theirs from a few years ago, and other than Rickey Medlocke, they were brutally bad. Really, really, really bad. Like the kind of band that gets a Tuesday 1pm time slot at the county fair bad.

I was at their last concert October 18, 1977 in Lakeland, Florida, heard the news of the plane crash on my to work the morning of the 20th. I still remember that concert vividly, it was an awesome show.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/06/23 10:38 PM

Sad news for sure. The last of the original members I believe. I never bought any of their music and can't say I was a diehard fan, but when you speak of legendary bands they are certainly one! Free Bird has been played and played but if it comes on the radio I can't change the station. And I always loved "Tuesday's Gone" written by Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins. Proof that rockers from that era were true poets too.

Train roll on
On down the line, won't you
Please take me far away
Now I feel the wind blow
Outside my door, means I'm
I'm leaving my woman at home, Lordy
Tuesday's gone with the wind
Oh, my baby's gone, with the wind
And I don't know
Oh, where I'm going
I just want to be left alone
Well, when this train ends
I'll try again, oh but I'm
I'm leaving my woman at home, Lordy
Posted By: ekim

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/07/23 12:01 AM

have you guys seen this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB619bAvSj4

amateur (bootleg) from fresno calif
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/07/23 01:25 AM

Tuesdays gone and Simple Man are my favorite tunes from them. Their music still being listened to today speaks volumes.

I teach at a tech college. A few months ago we were in the shop and a student asked if he could put on some music. I said as long as it's not head banging rap and we keep it down, I'm good with it. He put Skynard on! I was like....you're playing Skynard? He said....Yes!! I said....turn it up!! lol.. The whole class enjoyed Skynard the next couple hours!!! This kid was early 20s!!!
Posted By: BDW

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/07/23 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Thx,

Artimus Pyle was the guy I saw, and yes, the music wasn't that great.
But what do you expect at a local park for $20.......

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/07/23 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Tuesdays gone and Simple Man are my favorite tunes from them. Their music still being listened to today speaks volumes.

I teach at a tech college. A few months ago we were in the shop and a student asked if he could put on some music. I said as long as it's not head banging rap and we keep it down, I'm good with it. He put Skynard on! I was like....you're playing Skynard? He said....Yes!! I said....turn it up!! lol.. The whole class enjoyed Skynard the next couple hours!!! This kid was early 20s!!!
I heard Simple Man on radio this morning. It's been awhile. Also one of my favorites. Great lyrics. Good story Dcuda. Proof good music is timeless.
Posted By: BleedDodge

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/07/23 06:17 PM

There’s a great documentary about them called “if I leave here tomorrow” that’s worth checking out, would recommend.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/08/23 01:59 AM

I attended the first Rock Concert at the Orange Bowl 7/7/74, my interest was mainly technical as the sound supplier was the same supplier for Woodstock. There was a solid line up, with Leon Russell as headliner and to name a few of the support acts, The Band, and The Eagles.
Another opening band performed in the afternoon that I was not familiar with, but the audience went wild when they played a nine-minute song, called 'Freebird".
Few years later I was doing a few shows as monitor engineer for "Rossington-Collins" and Dale Kranz lead singer, not yet Gary's wife, when after a sound check she walked over gave me a big kiss. I guess for my technical skill? LOL

RIP Gary.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/08/23 11:34 AM

Nice story jcc. I have always enjoyed their music. My wife and I caught them at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake Iowa a few years ago.

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/08/23 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
I attended the first Rock Concert at the Orange Bowl 7/7/74, my interest was mainly technical as the sound supplier was the same supplier for Woodstock. There was a solid line up, with Leon Russell as headliner and to name a few of the support acts, The Band, and The Eagles.
Another opening band performed in the afternoon that I was not familiar with, but the audience went wild when they played a nine-minute song, called 'Freebird".
Few years later I was doing a few shows as monitor engineer for "Rossington-Collins" and Dale Kranz lead singer, not yet Gary's wife, when after a sound check she walked over gave me a big kiss. I guess for my technical skill? LOL

RIP Gary.
Nice memory jcc. And heck ya solid line up.
Posted By: HarryM

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/08/23 05:28 PM

Another Great One Gone!

R.I.P. Gary

I always enjoyed his music, regardless of what band or collaboration he made it in!

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/19/23 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by BleedDodge
There’s a great documentary about them called “if I leave here tomorrow” that’s worth checking out, would recommend.
I watched it a few nights ago on AXSTV and it was extremely enjoyable. Great old pics and vids.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd has past away - 03/19/23 10:46 PM

Rossington-Collins Band, 1979. My first concert in the local City Auditorium. Decent tunes, Dale could sure belt out some vocals. Encore was an instrumental version of Free Bird.
© 2024 Moparts Forums