Moparts

Scotty Kilmer

Posted By: 340SIX

Scotty Kilmer - 02/15/23 08:41 PM

I made the mistake of clicking on the video.
Who watches this guy. Knows less than a rock and is more aggravating to listen to than Gilbert Gottfried
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/15/23 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
I made the mistake of clicking on the video.
Who watches this guy. Knows less than a rock and is more aggravating to listen to than Gilbert Gottfried

Two things, he HATES mopars, and his "car repair" videos never show an actual repair. Wanna see repairs? Watch South Main Auto. He doesn't like mopars either but doesn't make a big deal of it or hesitate to call out the stupid in other makes. He also makes me glad I live where rust sleeps.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/15/23 10:17 PM

This is what I think every time I stroll through YouTube and see a thumbnail for one of his videos:

Attached picture 1 Mos.jpg
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/15/23 10:46 PM

I agree, I don't care for the guy.

I watched one of his videos and he was diagnosing a no crank condition on a Dodge Ram. He spent 20 minutes talking smack about dodge and diagnosing the computer to find it was a bad starter.

What mechanic starts diagnosing the computer first when a car won't crank? Any mechanic I know starts with the battery voltage and then the starter since the battery and starters go bad most often.

Nothing good to say about his self proclaimed skills.
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 12:17 AM

That guy pays to have hos video trend, I was on youtube with my phone (no ad blocker) and all his videos were tagged as ads. Thats pathetic.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 01:45 AM

I don't know his background, but a guy who works in his driveway with a floor jack and has a garage straight out of "Hoarders" is not very impressive.

His "answering emails" videos don't help.

Most of these YT mechanics are just idiots.

There, I said it.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 02:15 AM

Years back (before YouTube) he had a segment on one of the local channels during their afternoon news here in Houston. I wish I could remember the details, but, he said something so flat out wrong as being 'correct' that my Wife even caught it and stared at the TV in disbelief for a moment. xmaseek

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
I don't know his background, but a guy who works in his driveway with a floor jack and has a garage straight out of "Hoarders" is not very impressive.

There, I said it.

Hey I represent that comment.... LOL grin
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 04:14 PM

Ive a friend who does vids. I can hardly watch as they are so inaccurate. I try to get him to do better, clean some up and as a friend tell him the smarter people on this topic know how bad some of his info is.... his reply " For every 1 smart person there are 1000 idiots who like my vids."

The bothersome part is that 1000 idiots watch it and think its true and repeat, apply..... and even praise the vid maker.

I just try to watch the vids from people who do seem to be smart in there field and I hope and do learn a few things. There are many smart and informative people doing vids and many you can tell by the title of the vids. The wanna be stars are great at clickbait titles.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 04:20 PM

South Main Auto. Here is an example of a one man show that can diagnose and then repair ANYTHING. He get cars that other shops have fired the parts cannon and the problem persists. By the way- the public was mislead with OBD2 that the code "Tells you what part to replace."
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 04:45 PM

But Scotty is correct when he addresses people wanting a BMW or Mercedes as a daily driver. DONT. Even the people with lots of money balk at the cost of ownership/repairs on a German car with age and mileage. The Johnny paycheck to paycheck CC debt fella is in for a rude awakening when he sees how expensive that beautiful 16 year old beamer is to repair.

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
But Scotty is correct when he addresses people wanting a BMW or Mercedes as a daily driver. DONT. Even the people with lots of money balk at the cost of ownership/repairs on a German car with age and mileage. The Johnny paycheck to paycheck CC debt fella is in for a rude awakening when he sees how expensive that beautiful 16 year old beamer is to repair.

The best advice ever given on european cars is "If you can't afford a new one you can't afford a used one."
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 05:06 PM

I have a 97 328i as a daily driver. About 170k. Doesn’t cost me squat. Now a 12 cylinder BMW is a different matter, but the more ordinary cars are fine.
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by IMGTX

The best advice ever given on european cars is "If you can't afford a new one you can't afford a used one."

A used Merc / BMW / Audi etc could be free and would put most people in the poor house just trying to keep the thing running
Posted By: moparx

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister

There, I said it.

Hey I represent that comment.... LOL grin

me too ! up
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500

A used Merc / BMW / Audi etc could be free and would put most people in the poor house just trying to keep the thing running

I have a 2015 535i, just under 94k miles. Not hard to keep it running, or expensive really. You do have to invest some money and time in tools to DIY. If you are the normal type of BMW owner that takes it to the dealer, yeah you are going to pay out of every orifice you have and some you didn't know you had. Even the indy shops spell BMW like this, $$$.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 06:16 PM

I watched one of his videos one time. Terrible. Sad to think there are those that might be relying on him as a sole source of automotive information.
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 06:36 PM

One thing is he does have it somewhat right about the Toyotas to a point. However, in more recent years Toyota quality has gone down compared to what it used to be. They're not perfect by a long shot just look at the lower ball joint replacement needed on first generation generation Tundras and Sequoias. It's a 90k mile service item for the OEM joints provided you're not running a lift or abusing the vehicle. He did drive a 77 Chrysler Newport in one video. My take away is he liked driving it. His video titles are click bait and kind of discouraging for that reason.
Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 07:24 PM

Didn't make it through the first video I ever ran across on Youtube. The man is a raving idiot. rolleyes

Tim
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Scotty Kilmer - 02/16/23 11:02 PM

He is ok for entertainment purposes with bits and pieces of info tossed in. LOL.
© 2024 Moparts Forums