Moparts

Muscle car knock-offs

Posted By: Dart 500

Muscle car knock-offs - 01/18/23 02:19 AM

We've all seen the Chinese knock off cars, but they're modern and have to meet modern safety standards (like the attached SS Dolphin)

But how cheap do you think they could produce a carbon copy 71 duster 340 or 69 393 roadrunner (or whatever) for? Just them...no added middle man importer costs.

Attached picture 1579687912.jpg
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/18/23 02:25 AM

But how cheap do you think they could produce a carbon copy 71 duster 340 or 69 393 roadrunner (or whatever) for? Just them...no added middle man importer costs.

Would we really want them to?

Considering the so called cost of the SS Dol. is over 150k..... why?
Posted By: A12

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/18/23 02:27 AM

Something smells fishy about that car, where have I seen that design before?? laugh2 laugh2

But it does look like they made the windshield frame into a rollbar which I can't see how it will do the driver and passenger any good that far forward?

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/18/23 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead

Just wondering how cheap they could build a 1960's spec car with no regard for emissions or safety. I know the bodies they do are around 10K, but thats the cost after the middle man gets involved. They also make dirt cheap blocks, cranks, heads etc. I think they could build a whole car for 15k, but possibly as low as 5K.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/19/23 04:09 AM

I’d rather not entertain the idea....it would be a shame if this happened on our shores.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/19/23 03:18 PM

Is that because something like this might come out of it?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/19/23 03:36 PM

Is that not what Dave Kindig did as well

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/19/23 05:44 PM

It could happen very quickly, they'd just need to pass a law that re-pop cars can be made and they only have to meet the safety/emission standards of the origin production year. If not, they could legally sell rollers but nobody has been able to do that successfully, save for maybe these guys

[Linked Image]

I think a re-pop 69 charger or 70 cuda would be a LOT more popular than a cobra
Posted By: topside

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/19/23 07:22 PM

One big problem is the original manufacturer not being involved/paid for the reproduction, especially if it's faithful to the original.
Shelby American has sued pretty much everybody involved in cloning Cobras, and I'd bet Chrysler/Stellantis would as well.
They could at a minimum claim "intellectual property", and delay or stop an accurate repro while creating a hugely expensive legal battle.
Licensing fees for the repro design would probably be the only way past that hurdle, but I doubt they'd be inexpensive.
IIRC, current Govt law enables small car-makers (300 or fewer units) to avoid some NHTSA & maybe EPA mandated standards/equipment/testing/certification.
Then you have the manufacturing of the unibody shell, buying or making the attaching parts, etc etc.
Add marketing, warehousing, customer service, etc expenses also.
IF you can pull all this off, a quality, accurate repro turn-key '68-'69 Charger for example, would have to cost at least $80,000 IF volume was sufficient.
If you sell as a kit, you're saving the assembly costs and the assembly facility costs, but most all other expenses/overhead remains...
Granted, they would be new, never-rusty, never-wrecked cars, but the obstacles to creating them & selling them at a worthwhile profit are HUGE.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/19/23 07:57 PM

Somebody is selling “new” 67 mustangs with electric motors that are licensed bodies. You can build a few hundred cars a year under a newish law and skip standards new cars have to meet, at least crash stuff. Pretty sure you have to meet current emission laws.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/20/23 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Somebody is selling “new” 67 mustangs with electric motors that are licensed bodies. You can build a few hundred cars a year under a newish law and skip standards new cars have to meet, at least crash stuff. Pretty sure you have to meet current emission laws.

And the emission laws on an electric are???
For cars to be exempt from the crash tests, the number of production models per year would be so small, the cost of such vehicles would have to be pretty crazy to cover the costs. Then you would need the stamp of approval from the original manufacturer before you could copy the bodies. Don't see that as happening.

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/20/23 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy

For cars to be exempt from the crash tests, the number of production models per year would be so small, the cost of such vehicles would have to be pretty crazy to cover the costs. Then you would need the stamp of approval from the original manufacturer before you could copy the bodies. Don't see that as happening.

I dont think it would be that large of a hurdle. What money is Plymouth currently making for Stellantis? Its pretty easy for them to license out the design and collect. Aren't the challenger bodies from Dynacorn licensed? Also this 300 car rule, is that for the entire company or each model?

making them EV would be the easiest way to get it off the ground but I dont see people lining up for original muscle cars without the V8's
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/20/23 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500

I dont think it would be that large of a hurdle. What money is Plymouth currently making for Stellantis? Its pretty easy for them to license out the design and collect. Aren't the challenger bodies from Dynacorn licensed? Also this 300 car rule, is that for the entire company or each model?

making them EV would be the easiest way to get it off the ground but I dont see people lining up for original muscle cars without the V8's

A smart guy would make a modular chassis that could be easily adapted as to rack and wheelbase and mount many styles of bodes on it, sort of like the old VW Beetle based kit cars.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/20/23 06:09 PM

Revology makes new old Mustangs. Look pretty cool but WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY outta reach of a mortal like me. I'd take a 68 Fastback KR

Revology Mustangs

Attached picture small 68.jpg
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/21/23 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy

Well they’re doing it.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/21/23 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead

Just wondering how cheap they could build a 1960's spec car with no regard for emissions or safety. I know the bodies they do are around 10K, but thats the cost after the middle man gets involved. They also make dirt cheap blocks, cranks, heads etc. I think they could build a whole car for 15k, but possibly as low as 5K.

Mahindra already did this. Not road legal and got sued for copyright infringement. Surprised Songsan didn't try a '69 Camaro.

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/21/23 11:14 PM

Speak of the devil

https://charge.cars/

Attached picture 326001138_1471560226700252_3212283519712205714_n.jpg
Attached picture 326236546_569370894754468_9159816116741000105_n.jpg
Attached picture 326220253_130220339927549_4213049216371914058_n.jpg
Attached picture 326155178_873942080538985_425025223466388271_n.jpg
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Muscle car knock-offs - 01/22/23 01:43 AM

The little 'snowflake' in the grill says it all. laugh2
© 2024 Moparts Forums