Moparts

passenger side brake pedal for drivers ed?

Posted By: Andrewh

passenger side brake pedal for drivers ed? - 12/12/22 03:07 AM

any one every buy one of those passenger side brake pedals to use to teach your kid to drive?
any recommendations for one?
they vary wildly in price from 60 bucks to 800 dollars.
not sure it is necessary, but I figure it doesn't hurt to have one.
at 500 it is a deductible.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: passenger side brake pedal for drivers ed? - 12/13/22 03:52 AM

If I didn't trust a kid to stop I'd start them in a driving school first. If it's there you're going to distinctively use it and that'll cause other problems trying to teach them to drive.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: passenger side brake pedal for drivers ed? - 12/13/22 04:41 AM

A buddy of mine is a rural carrier for the USPS, and put one in his Forester so he can drive it from the right side. No idea what brand it is, but take a good look at how it mounts, and make sure it's solid. I'd imagine some of the cost differences are there.

He now has a RHD van he uses, instead of having to hook up the pedals each day.
Posted By: topside

Re: passenger side brake pedal for drivers ed? - 12/13/22 04:32 PM

No reason in my mind for a 2nd brake pedal, unless the OP is teaching the kid in a parking garage.
Just find a big open space and work them into it - I'll assume they've seen you operate a car and watched your inputs ?
My 1st driving was about age 12 in Mom & Dad's '57 Sport Suburban, when we were visiting friends in a rural area.
Dad just had me run it around slowly at first, and then we hit some 2-lane roads.
Year or two after that, he'd bought a little car with a 4-speed, and had me run it around our suburban block soon as I had the clutch/throttle interaction down in the driveway.
Pretty much all he told me was not to wail away at things, but be smooth & purposeful & observant.
Nowadays, I'd put a kid in a high-performance driving school pretty soon, to learn control & where the limits are, given modern traffic...
Posted By: usp4u

Re: passenger side brake pedal for drivers ed? - 12/14/22 01:07 PM

saw this on ARFcom the other day.
© 2024 Moparts Forums