cool

Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/16/22 07:30 PM

Please explain why if you know?
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/16/22 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Please explain why if you know?

If you watched the entire video it's kinda explained.
Jump to the 4:50 mark and they explain what's going on with the property.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/17/22 06:47 AM

There were a bunch of holes in the blast, 6 to 8 of them blew the tamp on top of the explosives out the drill hole, the ones that had grey smoke shoot straight up.
I would like to know which type and size explosives they used, lots of differences in the size of the rocks blew up to the surface work
Posted By: 360view

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/17/22 11:52 AM

Well, not the worst design of fuse timing, but a really skilled blaster would have timed the sequence of explosions to “heave” the rock fragments out of the pond onto one side where excavators could have scooped it off level ground quicker and at less labor and equipment cost - or just left the rock pile there at minimum cost.
Posted By: A12

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/17/22 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 360view
Well, not the worst design of fuse timing, but a really skilled blaster would have timed the sequence of explosions to “heave” the rock fragments out of the pond onto one side where excavators could have scooped it off level ground quicker and at less labor and equipment cost - or just left the rock pile there at minimum cost.

Thought there was mention of using the rocks to "pave" the road up to the pond? That's going to be a chore for even some ancient Romans building that road wink shock blush biggrin
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/17/22 03:17 PM

That sure loosened things up! Now it'll be interesting to see if it holds water.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/17/22 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
There were a bunch of holes in the blast, 6 to 8 of them blew the tamp on top of the explosives out the drill hole, the ones that had grey smoke shoot straight up.
I would like to know which type and size explosives they used, lots of differences in the size of the rocks blew up to the surface work

Me too. It was mentioned in the video that there were "15 pounds per hole," which to me sounds like a lot...but that depends on the type and "burn rate" (deflagration) of it.
At the 25 second mark of the video the truck with the orange placard is the explosive laden truck. It appears to have a large tank, which would indicate a liquid explosive(?), but that doesn't make sense to me as it appears to be too wet for that.
But then there's this (from the gopher thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzApW0WsVfs&ab_channel=JACKTHEDRAGONOKEEFFE
I don't know...but I am certainly curious.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/17/22 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by A12

Thought there was mention of using the rocks to "pave" the road up to the pond? That's going to be a chore for even some ancient Romans building that road wink shock blush biggrin

Not if you use a crusher to turn those rocks into gravel.
Posted By: Andyvh1959

Re: Blasting a pond - 11/27/22 01:34 AM

Why is blowing something up so satisfying to watch? I still watch the Mythbusters episode where they blow up a cement mixer truck, and I STILL get the same charge watching the truck blown to nothing.

So,....after they get the pond cleaned out, full of water, stocked with fish,...will they use explosives to "fish" like the old joke about the guy dropping dynamite into the water.
© 2024 Moparts Forums