Moparts

B17 crash with video

Posted By: stumpy

B17 crash with video - 11/12/22 09:01 PM

I don't think there are many remaining. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/r...ow-at-dallas-executive-airport/3123720/. In air crash https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/b-17-in-horrific-mid-air-collision-at-dallas-airshow
Posted By: A12

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/12/22 09:14 PM

Damn it almost looked kamikaze like, WTH was that!!!!

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/12/22 09:17 PM

Looks like the king cobra pilot over flew his abilities. Stupid terrible accident.
The B17 involved. https://airplanes-online.com/b17-flying-fortress-4483872-texas-raiders.htm
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/12/22 09:50 PM

SICKENING.. WOW
Posted By: topside

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/12/22 09:58 PM

Man, I hate stuff like that.
The report I saw said the B17 was in the P39's blind spot.
Looked like he didn't know the B17 was nearby and basically flew into it.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/12/22 10:31 PM

That's two B17's destroyed in 3 years. The Collings foundations "909" Crashed in 2019 due to lack of maintenance on the magnetoes. I rode on the 909 a year prior to its crash, so that was a little scary when it went down.

NBC adds music the the crash video? What's wrong with those idiots?

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/12/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by topside

I don't see how the P63 didn't see the B17?? I think the P63 may or may not have seen the B17 but went across the back of it and just above it and got caught in "prop wash", lost lift and went right on top of the B17. Sad, sad, very sad for all of those on board. Godspeed all.

When you see it from another angle it looks like a direct cross of flight paths and not the B17's error. IMO
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 12:25 AM

A couple decades ago the wife and I were in Galveston at the Lone Star Flight Museum when a B-17 came in to land. They let us go out to the tarmac and were about 50 feet away when it taxied up, what an awesome feeling! I hope it wasn't this one, but in any case RIP Texas Raiders and the fine men flying her... angel
Posted By: crackedback

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by A12

I don't see how the P63 didn't see the B17?? I think the P63 may or may not have seen the B17 but went across the back of it and just above it and got caught in "prop wash", lost lift and went right on top of the B17. Sad, sad, very sad for all of those on board. Godspeed all.

When you see it from another angle it looks like a direct cross of flight paths and not the B17's error. IMO

low wing airplane P63 with b17 where pilot has no visual? Banking left, big blind spot

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by crackedback
Originally Posted by A12

low wing airplane P63 with b17 where pilot has no visual? Banking left, big blind spot

Yes I see that now. frown
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 04:11 AM

angel

Attached picture 43-11719 P63 Kingcobra.jpg
Attached picture 44-83872 B17 Texas Raiders.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 06:45 AM

Prop wash from a bigger airplane causes turbulence behind it and a little to the sides of them and may lead to loss of the control by the trailing aircraft. The wingtip vortices turn into circular air forming the vortices, NOT GOOD tsk
The P63 looks like it was flying a lot faster than the B17 when it hit the B17 so maybe he did lose control confused
I knew medical Dr who lost his life due to getting in too close while landing behind a medium size passenger commuter jet landing at Ontario, CA years ago in his small single engine Bonanza. The standing rule is two minutes between aircraft landing on the same runway, any closer can cause turbulence and problems on maintaining control of the smaller aircraft.
Larger airplanes have to follow the same rules also.
I have experience it when following a friend of mine in a King Air SP350 in my much smaller Piper Comanche single engine landing in San Fernando Valley at Van Nuys airport, I let my plane get lower than him and got into his turbulence when crossing behind him to get line up with the runway, I climb up to be above him and made sure I landed further down the runway than him to avoid more turbulence shock, Once learn you make sure it doesn't happen again, I had been taught about wake turbulence and following distances but didn't do it correctly, he was landing from the west landing to the south and I had approach the airport from the east and was landing on the same runway less than 2 minutes behind him realcrazy I got lucky, thanks be to God up bow
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 06:56 AM

Or another possibility is the fighter pilot had a medical event and passed out. I’m sure through the investigation they’ll find out what happened. Our B17 here in Mesa flys over my house all the time.
Posted By: Remy-Z

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
NBC adds music the the crash video? What's wrong with those idiots?

If it’s the same footage that I saw last night, they are probably trying to hide the voice of the kid who is asking if it was part of the show.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 05:07 PM

It's going to be hard to determine what happened. Not much left. https://youtu.be/XHfXnb0TRFk
Posted By: Dabee

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/13/22 05:24 PM

I agree with Cab on the turbulence issue. Having inflight refueled hundreds of times off a HC-130 I have experienced prop turbulence. But in this case I don’t believe turbulence was the issue as fighter appears to be approaching from above the B-17 and impacts fuselage from above and just behind the wings. Also it spy he brother formation as he is turning inside of the other aircraft in the formation. I have flown in numerous air shows during my 25 years flying in the Air Force. I know for a fact the before those guys fly there is a before flight briefing were the position of every aircraft in the formation, speed, each turn / maneuver is disused in detail so everyone knows what each aircraft is doing. I’m leaning more towards he had a medical issue and passed out.

Attached picture AA30735F-BAAD-4711-BEC2-684BD3FFE7C2.jpeg
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/14/22 01:44 AM

Terrible incident - sickening to watch. Condolences to all the family members.
Posted By: TJP

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/14/22 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dabee
I’m leaning more towards he had a medical issue and passed out.

IMO it would seem something went terribly wrong with either the aircraft or pilot pity angelangelangelangelangelangel frown
Posted By: 360view

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/14/22 11:45 AM

Very sad.

It is also very sad that during WW-iI combat operations there were many, many collisions like that.

In the movie “Memphis Belle” remember when they let the reporter shoot at a German fighter and that fighter crashed into a B-17 cutting it into?

On P-63 and Airacobra the engine to propellor shaft ran right between the pilots legs and there were numerous deaths where an imbalance either in engine, shaft or propellor killed or injured the pilot.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/14/22 02:58 PM

The CAF here in Mesa had a memorial. Lots of vintage WWII aircraft flying all day. They did the missing man formation yesterday morning.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/14/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 360view
Very sad.

It is also very sad that during WW-iI combat operations there were many, many collisions like that.

In the movie “Memphis Belle” remember when they let the reporter shoot at a German fighter and that fighter crashed into a B-17 cutting it into?

It was the co pilot.
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/15/22 06:20 AM

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/15/22 04:28 PM

That's a real good explanation of what might have happened.

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/15/22 07:23 PM

Instant after crash.

Attached picture AA147277.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/15/22 11:04 PM

If its any consolation, everyone died quickly ... probably before the pilots could even say "what the hell was that"
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/16/22 01:37 AM

When bad things happen my mind goes into hyper overdrive, everything slows way down before the bad part starts happen shock
The OH Sheet moments last a long time to me realcrazy shruggy
Posted By: Stanton

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/16/22 03:49 AM

I think that's where the point of "you life flashing before your eyes" comes from. I think we've all had those moments.
Posted By: 360view

Re: B17 crash with video - 11/17/22 12:19 PM

I grew up in a town with lots of railroad employees and have heard stories about what it is like to sit and helplessly watch for 10 to 30 seconds knowing your locomotive is going to crash into a car or truck ahead at a “grade crossing” ( road/track junction)

I remember one elderly railroad engineer at a Barber Shop talk about first as a young sailor seeing Kamikaze planes bearing down on his ship, then being in a locomotive that hit a lowboy tractor trailer hauling a bulldozer high centered at a grade crossing. After living through these “ waiting for the blow” moments he said that the “near misses” where vehicles barely just avoided the loco nearly caused his heart and blood pressure go beyond bearable.
© 2024 Moparts Forums