Moparts

anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrap a car?

Posted By: A12

anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrap a car? - 11/07/22 08:20 PM

Could it be any worse than a cheap car cover that only last a season or two. Not concerned about the paint at this point just looking for severe weather protection. Just wondering if anyone has done this?

Attached picture car boat wrapped .jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrapped a car? - 11/07/22 10:45 PM

Not the whole car, but when I worked at the GM dealership new Camaros and Vettes came off the delivery truck with white plastic like that stuck on the top surfaces. We had to pull it off and sometimes polish out any spots where it came loose and chattered on the paint during the ride. I think the whole wrap would be better so long as it does not come loose anywhere where the wind could get under it.

I've just used a fabric car cover with a cheap tarp tied down over it to keep water from getting into the car cover. shruggy
Posted By: topside

Re: anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrapped a car? - 11/07/22 10:47 PM

Shrink wrap - seems like the "family size" version of the protective wrap I've seen on new cars being transported.
What about the underside of the car, is that something to consider ?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrap a car? - 11/08/22 05:12 AM

Bad idea if a car is being kept stored outside. Holds moisture in.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrap a car? - 11/08/22 11:36 AM

Alotta boats around here get wrapped,but I've never ever seen a car get wrapped.I don't think it's a good idea.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrap a car? - 11/08/22 11:42 AM

I have one of these It's not supposed to be used for outdoors but you can. I got a car cover to put on so the paint doesn't get marked up and then put a tarp over the bag. The tarp helps keep the sun from damaging the bag. You can buy moisture absorbing things from them to keep the moisture out or buy a few damp rids and put them in there. I have been looking for a decent outdoor 100% water proof bag but it doesn't exist. Someone should make one that doesn't cost $500+.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrap a car? - 11/08/22 02:07 PM

In the past we used a "car in a bag" deal that you literally push the car into, then leave a bunch of desiccant bags (5 lbs each, maybe?) in it, then extract as much air as possible and clamp it closed for the duration.

Did it work? Yep

Was it a big PITA? Yep

No way I'd just cover a car w/ that type of material w/o expecting "bad things" to happen during the storage, though.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: anyone ever vinyl boat storage wrap a car? - 11/08/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Bad idea if a car is being kept stored outside. Holds moisture in.

Yeah boats can take the moisture. With a car you could end up with rust starting all over the place.
© 2024 Moparts Forums