Moparts

Jessie Combs movie

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Jessie Combs movie - 10/28/22 05:11 PM

There is a new movie on HBO Max about Jessie Combs. I never heard of her prior to her crash, but as I aspire to become a land speed racer, I paid for a 1 month subscription and watched it. I don't like to go negative, but all I have to say is that the so called race car was an unsafe price of junk. Steering broke, chutes failed, engines won't shut down, no cage. I feel horrible for her mom.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/28/22 05:29 PM

You might think there would be a mechanical fuel shut off lever in that thing. Haven't seen the movie. Sounds like the lever would have come off in her hand if she tried to shut the valves down.

Saw a trailer for it somewhere and some of the dialogue as she was on the run... Akin to a plane hurtling towards earth and not much you can do. Sad deal all around.

Posted By: topside

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/28/22 08:34 PM

She was a gal who could seemingly do anything she wanted to do, including fabrication.
I recall reading abut that LSR car long before she got into it, and it seemed pretty sketchy, with builders and crew who I'd be a bit leery of.
They'd had a lot of grief with the thing, and I was a bit taken aback that she'd climb into it.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/29/22 02:15 AM

I would've thought there would be a some sort of sanctioned tech inspections before attempting a LSR shruggy
definitely sad if what is being said is true. As far as the movie? depending on who did it it's not unusual for them to hype things, again shruggy
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/29/22 05:49 AM

I contacted SCTA, SO CA Timing Assoc. and BN I(Bonniville Nationals Inc.) about running a car at Bonniville years back, their technical and safety standards are way high up there.
Me thinks these people did that run on their own with no sanctioning bodies approval. work If so shame om them down
I don't know what happened to her or the car, what did?
Hopefully she survived it luck

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/29/22 06:18 AM

Cab, they ran it in the Alford desert, without any sanction. The car was a jet plane with the wings removed. On her final run, the front wheel hit something and broke causing a severe vibration. Apparently it would not respond to the controls. She did all the right process to shut down the engines, but they kept going until she crashed in a ball of fire at about 575 mph. Sadly, she did not survive.

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/29/22 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
I would've thought there would be a some sort of sanctioned tech inspections before attempting a LSR shruggy
definitely sad if what is being said is true. As far as the movie? depending on who did it it's not unusual for them to hype things, again shruggy

I think their "sanctioning body" was the Guinness Book of World records. No safety rules.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/29/22 03:07 PM

I didn't even know she died if it wasn't for a memorandum they put at the end of a show i was watching. Tried to research what happen but google results where slim on any details. Sad she didn't make it. I watched a few shows they had on the land speed record years ago. I would like to see a new show on it. It was interesting to watch them try to break the speed of sound on land for the first time.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/30/22 11:33 AM

i like the movie. i wondered why the front wheel breaking caused the thing not to slow down.. did it take out the throttle controls? the parachutes were burned so that thing was still under power when she was trying to slow down.

its a shame that motorsports tv never promoted her over the years for her accomplishments. putting her on all girls garage, overhauling and those type of shows were an insult i think.. you never really heard about her racing accomplishments or anything. hell even the movie i think should have gone more into the things she had accomplished over the years.. it did some but they could have done so much more.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/30/22 12:32 PM

She and her accomplishments were well known in the desert SW where events such as “Baja 1000” and “King of Hammers” are premiere in the off roading world. She was also the first female grand marshal at the Sturgis Bike rally and has probably led 1000’s of women to get their own scoot and create things in the garage. It’s a shame she’s gone for sure…..

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/30/22 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
She and her accomplishments were well known in the desert SW where events such as “Baja 1000” and “King of Hammers” are premiere in the off roading world. It’s a shame she’s gone for sure…..

but weren't well know out of that area as they should have been...

She was also the first female grand marshal at the Sturgis Bike rally and has probably led 1000’s of women to get their own scoot and create things in the garage.

i learned that in the movie. she was a great pioneer for women.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/31/22 03:30 AM

What movie? Link, please if available luck
Pictures of here, if possible, please luck
I had not heard or saw anything about her and her racing until this posts blush
I used to help Linda Myers back in the early 1970s, ( Iwas the crew chief, mechanic and test driver) her and her Husband owned one of the original pink Panther street hemi Mopar drag cars. wrench

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/31/22 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What movie? Link, please if available luck
Pictures of here, if possible, please luck
I had not heard or saw anything about her and her racing until this posts blush
I used to help Linda Myers back in the early 1970s, ( Iwas the crew chief, mechanic and test driver) her and her Husband owned one of the original pink Panther street hemi Mopar drag cars. wrench

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22687772/

https://www.motortrend.com/features...-combs-documentary-speed-record-hbo-max/

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/31/22 10:30 AM

[I had not heard or saw anything about her and her racing until this posts

yea they really did a dis-service to her while she was alive. that stuff should have been promoted, instead they just threw her on all girls garage and overhauling. she did do some fab stuff on that 4x4 show early on but it was more minor from what i remember. i think that tv really missed the boat with her.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Jessie Combs movie - 10/31/22 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
I don't like to go negative, but all I have to say is that the so called race car was an unsafe price of junk. Steering broke, chutes failed, engines won't shut down, no cage. I feel horrible for her mom.

The Wall Street Journal movie review section did a review of the movie 1 to 2 weeks ago.
They said the movie was well made,
but the record attempt “car-airplane” was not
well designed,
well constructed,
or de-bugged.

I have not watched the movie.
© 2024 Moparts Forums