Moparts

Does this look sketchy to you?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 03:53 AM

A guy devised this to level the camper because the fridge needs to be level. I think it's too much stress on the driveline. Maybe if he used chocks to hold it, then put it in park it would be better. What do you think?

Attached picture img_3_1666238639767~2.jpg
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 04:15 AM

Not sure I see where the stress on the driveline is. The truck thinks it is on level ground. Almost looks like you could leave it in neutral and it would just sit there. shruggy
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 04:17 AM

It looks to me like the ramps are very steep, More that the driveway behind the rear wheels. So it would be trying very hats to roll down the ramps.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 04:21 AM

As long as the ramps don't slide it looks OK to me. shruggy
Posted By: A12

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
It looks to me like the ramps are very steep, More that the driveway behind the rear wheels. So it would be trying very hats to roll down the ramps.

No because at the same time the truck would have to be trying to roll UP the driveway, hill or incline grade. The truck as stated doesn't know where it is only gravity and "the shadow knows" wink
Posted By: 360view

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 12:08 PM

First thought would be about “chocks”

Rear wheels should be chocked.
Front ramps should be redesigned so that the wheel can descend into a dip of a few inches for security, and the underside of the ramps should be “grippy” with a rubber like tread.

OSHA, MSHA or US Military would not consider that good engineering.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 12:25 PM

The top board of the ramps should lay over the top of the vertical member. The wood should be in "shear" , not the bolts holding it together.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

iagree I'd at least chock the rear wheels.
I also agree w/ kerndog on the ramp design. Not how I would have done it, but if it works...
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 12:56 PM

The only stress is on the front suspension - pushing up at about a 30 degree angle. But no more stress than hitting a pothole would cause. The ramps must be fixed to the driveway 'cause there's no way you'd drive the truck up those otherwise. I sure wouldn't crawl under the truck like that though !!!
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kern Dog
The top board of the ramps should lay over the top of the vertical member. The wood should be in "shear" , not the bolts holding it together.

I'm no engineer, but that's the same thought I had. The way those ramps are built look like a disaster waiting to happen (to me).
Posted By: burdar

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 01:38 PM

It's hard to tell in the picture but I think it's designed that way already. He just has the outer 2 vertical members running past to sandwich everything together. The inner ramps that are supporting the weight are sitting on top of the verticals. But it's hard to be 100% without a better picture.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 02:21 PM

If it was a Cummins truck it would crush those puny ramps... runaway
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 03:15 PM

Does the fridge not work because of the propane?
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 03:36 PM

Yes, they need to remain level.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 05:59 PM

maybe it's just me, but i would have made those ramps out of steel, welded together, with rubber gripper strips bolted to the bottom.
definitely chock the rear wheels, and if that would be a semi-permanent parking spot, i would think seriously about sinking some anchoring points in the driveway [front and rear] to chain the truck fast so it couldn't possibly move in either direction while up in the air.
of course that's just me thinking.
your mileage will vary.
beer
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 06:34 PM

It doesn't matter if the refrigerator is level unless you're using it, right?

Are they planning to live in that or something?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 07:31 PM

I think putting the parking brake on real hard before putting the tranny into park should work okay work shruggy
Posted By: mopowers

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 08:44 PM

It looks like a great thought experiment. If the truck in the photo was in neutral with no brake applied, which way would it roll? Or would it stay stationary?
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 09:27 PM

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a refrigerator (not to mention the potential for disaster). I probably would have just found a way to level the fridge, or just put my cold stuff in the fridge inside the house... work
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChryCoGuy
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a refrigerator (not to mention the potential for disaster). I probably would have just found a way to level the fridge, or just put my cold stuff in the fridge inside the house... work

iagree up
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 09:44 PM

You really have to cool down a propane refrigerator before you put food in it. I am sure it is a temporary situation while they pack the camper for a trip.

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I think putting the parking brake on real hard before putting the tranny into park should work okay work shruggy

up up And especially after that "Parking or Emergency" brake catfight argue you would think no one would have an issue with it holding. Yes it would be extra safe blocking the rear wheels or putting wheel chocks there but both the parking/emergency and trans PARK mode should hold it no problem.

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 67vertman

You really have to cool down a propane refrigerator before you put food in it. I am sure it is a temporary situation while they pack the camper for a trip.

Great point as they don't look like they are too portable or intended to be used anywhere but temporarily in their driveway.

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 10:47 PM

I'm looking at them differently "those are the biggest front wheel chocks I have ever seen, no chance in my mind of that truck rolling down the driveway with those chocks!" laugh2
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 11:30 PM

"Romance in the Lance" might be a little sketchy ifn you catch my drift.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/20/22 11:59 PM

I always run my LQ fridge on house current or 12V before leaving on a trip so it is cold when I put food in it, then turn it to propane when I am ready to leave. But I generally think with common sense in advance... work
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/21/22 12:42 AM

I see that and cringe but from a physics standpoint it is valid.

Creepy looking but valid.

I would think that extended time on the ramps would deform the front control arm bushings though.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/21/22 01:58 AM

The way the front ramps are built is questionable to me. I would think they are a pretty aggressive lift on the front, and the build construction could be better. I suspect putting the truck on those front ramps is pretty nerve racking, simply because of the angle, my concern would be of just one ramp sliding. One ramp sliding just a few inches would cause some serious shift in the weight distribution.

That 1st step out of the cab, once its parked would be exciting, and getting back into the truck to move it wouldn't be much fun either.

I must admit, I've seen much more sketchy camping set ups then this one. Those people can take sketchy to a whole new level.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/21/22 02:03 AM

Ramps aside, the truck is more level than it would be if parked in the existing driveway. One should see some of the hills in San Francisco that people have parked o for years twocents
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/22/22 12:47 AM

Seems it would be MUCH simpler to level the refrigerator inside so I'm guessing it's for more than just the that. But it's hard to tell how sturdy those ramps are but they appear to be fairly well built. I don't see a problem as long as ramps are sturdy and parking brake is set.
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/23/22 06:02 AM

Pretty much impossible to level the fridge inside. Most RV fridges are built right in. My only issue would be those ramps. It does appear that the load-bearing section is in shear.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Does this look sketchy to you? - 10/23/22 10:43 AM

My second thought has little to do with engineering,
it is the truck owner should call his insurance company and ask
“Will my policy pay if anything goes wrong with this parking set up?

Better know in advance than risk it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums