Moparts

I hate these this time of year

Posted By: GomangoCuda

I hate these this time of year - 10/05/22 08:27 PM

We have a big chestnut tree and I just cleaned up this whole trailer of the darn hard prickly hulls it drops. My wife picket up a bucket of the nuts and the critters got the rest.

Attached picture IMG_20221005_153132531_HDR.jpg
Posted By: TJP

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
We have a big chestnut tree and I just cleaned up this whole trailer of the darn hard prickly hulls it drops. My wife picket up a bucket of the nuts and the critters got the rest.

CHECK THIS OUT smile

Also Amazon has some possibilities "riding mower bagger" or lawn tractor bagger attachment beer

Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 02:33 AM

Well...nothing's free.
The wash tub from an old washing machine make a really good burn barrel.
offtopic
But in my opinion, there should be a larger effort to resurrect the American Chestnut tree.
Please read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_chestnut
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 11:04 AM

i agree, stuff that drops from trees can be somewhat of a pain to pick up before mowing.

i have 5 black walnut trees in my yard. every other year they drop a rather large amount of junk on the yard in fall. the other years it isn't as bad as the previous year.
i usually just mow over them, but doing this messes up the spindle bearings in the mower deck and sometimes bending the blades requiring regular replacements.
i post free black walnuts on craigs list and facebook marketplace. occasionally i get takers. there are so many, they pick up about 30% of them and quit and they don't come back. at least it's better than nothing.

Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 11:40 AM

Nuts are good, Folks should be harvesting them not being upset.

If you dont want to eat them go plant 3-4 together here and there in some decent soil that gets wet and poof mother nature gives you a tree for your effort. They may not produce in your lifetime but most have kids and grand-kids.
Posted By: klunick

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Well...nothing's free.
The wash tub from an old washing machine make a really good burn barrel.
offtopic
But in my opinion, there should be a larger effort to resurrect the American Chestnut tree.
Please read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_chestnut

Ever watch that TV show where they take apart old log cabins. Finding Chestnut wood is like hitting the lottery!! If I remember correctly, the stuff doesn't like to rot.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 05:34 PM

We live in central Oregon on the east side of the Cascade mtn, range at 4300 Ft. above sea level, our lot has a bunch (15+ maybe) of pine trees that drop pinecones and pine needles year round rant down
I feel your pain whiney
I have had around 15 pine trees removed since moving up here in 2005 and I'm thinking about removing several more sawzall devil boogie
I hate stepping on pinecones at night and twisting my ankles whiney shruggy
Posted By: Neil

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 05:54 PM

Many locust trees around here and the leaves are too small to rake. They find their way into everything and only a leaf blower really works to clean them up.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/06/22 06:17 PM

Don't look at the bad side of fall, look at the good side of fall.

It's too cold for all those summer pests. No more outdoor nuisances like Ticks, mosquitos, flies, and bicyclists in french shorts.
Posted By: moparx

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/07/22 02:55 PM

there are still a couple of those pesky by-cycle dudes wizzing past the house yet. and they are wearing those shorts as well.
it will take a good snow to remove them from the road for a month or so..........
beer
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/08/22 03:37 AM

I only hate this time of year because as the days get colder and shorter it sinks in how much stuff you still have to get done before winter comes. You don't have the leisure to put stuff off for another week anymore or else you run out of time.
Posted By: HarryM

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/08/22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
I only hate this time of year because as the days get colder and shorter it sinks in how much stuff you still have to get done before winter comes. You don't have the leisure to put stuff off for another week anymore or else you run out of time.

Boy, isn't that the truth!!!!! frown
Posted By: Moparite

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/08/22 03:17 PM

Turning the clocks back is the worst! Get out of work and it's dark. down

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/08/22 05:22 PM

i thought that clock turning was done away with by congress ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: John Brown

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/08/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
beer

Senate passed a bill. Don't think House ever did anything with it. Must not have been enough slush funds in it.

LINKY --> bill-to-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent-passes-senate-3-15-2022 <--
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/08/22 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by John Brown
Originally Posted by moparx
beer

Senate passed a bill. Don't think House ever did anything with it. Must not have been enough slush funds in it.

LINKY --> bill-to-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent-passes-senate-3-15-2022 <--

They are to busy ruining this great country, rather than passing the legislation a majority voted for! whistling

Re: I hate these this time of year - 10/09/22 03:22 PM

yeah, it just figgers.............. mad flame down
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums