Moparts

LOST 2 IN FLORIDA

Posted By: ph23vo

LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 08:54 PM

BACK WINDOW BUSTED ON DAYTONA..MAN THATS A TOUGH ONE...BOTH CAN BE RESTORED BUT MUST BE NEUTRALIZED FAST

Attached picture BIRDYDAY.jpg
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 09:02 PM

Why? Why? Why?
Posted By: A12

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 09:11 PM

Where the heck were they parked or stored??????
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Why? Why? Why?

Probably to get out from under two cars that were bought at a way too high of a price.

Never understood hurricanes. Unlike Tornados and other destructive weather, there is a period of time beforehand that people are alerted that hurricane are coming.....like a week +.

I'm surprised that with high dollar items insurance companies are not making people protect the insured assets that are high dollar in areas that will sustain damages.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Where the heck were they parked or stored??????

I agree. Look at that picture. This is beachfront property. They knew it was coming

Although, some of these people live in multiple residences. Maybe they weren’t there or lost time trying to get there.

The prices of these high end muscle cars like wing cars have been shifting to the very rich that aren’t very invested into the hobby. So these cars are merely toys, decoration, fancy objects like an expensive painting or boat.

Possibly this carelessness could effect the rest of of our collector car insurance rates. They seem to be rising faster then regular car insurance.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 10:53 PM

For cars like that, I don't care if your vacationing in Europe. You call a towing company, you call a locksmith or a trusted neighbor with a key to get in, and you have the cars towed to a secure storage facility that is outside of the hurricane zone. So it costs a couple thousand dollars. That's what you have to do to protect cars like this. When you are the overseer of important, historic vehicles like this, you have a duty to protect them.
I remember reading something from haggerty insurance that says they'll even cover the cost of moving your car if it is insured with them and a hurricane or other natural disaster is imminent.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:03 PM

I know in FL Hagerty requires the vehicle to be stored inside, they may be out of luck if they weren't.

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:07 PM

Info

Seems like someone underestimated

This a people when one person has a lot of cars. Something happens to property/building and all cars suffer the fate

Attached picture CF0EE09B-5367-4E98-9738-817CB3AF52BD.jpeg

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:27 PM

That sucks. I know there was an incredible amount of water.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:38 PM

That is terrible man.
The storm track changed pretty quickly.
A lot of the projections had it coming into Tampa area where I live.
It broke off southeast early Tuesday AM.

Not sure of the particular circumstances but I feel bad for the owner.

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:39 PM

I'll remember this day when we get a blizzard up here and some Floridian Moparts member starts bragging about Florida weather and my Mopar is tucked away in a nice warm safe garage. wink Too soon? Sorry if so and I'll delete it.

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
That is terrible man.
The storm track changed pretty quickly.
A lot of the projections had it coming into Tampa area where I live.
It broke off southeast early Tuesday AM.

Not sure of the particular circumstances but I feel bad for the owner.

Yes that's true that "a lot" had that projection but several had it in the possible paths of other places that shouldn't have second guessed it. I would have never, ever thought it could do what it did to those wing cars but still live and learn I guess. Mother Nature is a "bad @$$ B!t(h" for sure seeing that. Hope and prayers for all of the people in its path.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:51 PM

Nothing is safe when Mother Nature has a fit.

Foolish humans still think they can protect things from her.

The weather reports up to a day before still didn't have any idea how the storm was going to track. The possible storm tracks covered roughly 600 miles of possible land entry. How far do you move stuff, just in case, and in what direction would you take the stuff?

My brother in law lives 30 miles south of the place the storm hit landfall. The predicted storm serge was suppose to be 3'-4' high (a beach front house), he didn't get hardly any storm serge, but places south, and north of him got blasted.

The home of the winged cars appears to be several feet above the sea level. If the storm serge was predicted to be 4' -6', it probably shouldn't have even reached the house. The cars were on lifts, raised 6' high. They should have been reasonably safe.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I know in FL Hagerty requires the vehicle to be stored inside, they may be out of luck if they weren't.

I read that they were in the garage. In the photo, there are garage doors at the front & rear of where the cars were parked, & when the garage doors gave way, the cars were blown out. It's believable to me. It's a damn shame. This house is right on the water - imminent danger. When you live in Florida, it's not if a hurricane is ever going to hit you, it's WHEN it's going to hit you.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/29/22 11:57 PM

The title line of the Facebook, Twitter or whatever screen shot above says they were "Tributes". That's bad enough to lose cars like that, but hopefully they weren't real ones.

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/30/22 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

I read that they were in the garage. In the photo, there are garage doors at the front & rear of where the cars were parked, & when the garage doors gave way, the cars were blown out. It's believable to me. It's a damn shame. This house is right on the water - imminent danger. When you live in Florida, it's not if a hurricane is ever going to hit you, it's WHEN it's going to hit you.

Check up there in autoxcuda's post with the 4 cars on and under the 4-post lifts the two cars outside were on the raised lifts and washed and blown off when the water got that high shock talk about storm surge.

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/30/22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by A12

Check up there in autoxcuda's post with the 4 cars on and under the 4-post lifts the two cars outside were on the raised lifts and washed and blown off when the water got that high shock talk about storm surge.

I heard as high as 10 feet in some areas. Some flooding where my sons live and that's north of the track. That storm was huge.

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/30/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by A12

I notice the house to the left seems to be built on pilings. And front door to house one right seems like second floor.

And the livable dwelling of the house the wing cars were in is elevated too

There was a house recently built in Ventura that was the first one next to the sand. The city made them put all livable space in the second floor. The electric panel was to be in the second floor too (exception to regulation made). BUT the garage was on 1st floor. Never hurricanes here. They have stupid Tsunami signs posted. I don’t think there’s a record of one in 200-400 years of recorded history of California.

Seems like a lot of indicators to not put anything valuable exposed to ground level.

Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/30/22 12:56 AM

The "cone of uncertainty" got them again. My wife really wants to move to Florida, and we are heading down there for vacation on the 7th of October. VACATION and visiting are the only reason I will EVER go to Florida! Tornadoes have very small paths, blizzards are usually not a big issue, but I have no desire to live around hurricanes and wildfires... tsk
Posted By: TJP

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/30/22 02:07 AM

iIt's unfortunate but it would appear as thought the owner could afford the loss even if they weren't insured which I doubt. I do have a favorite saying I use myself,
"Lessons paid for are best remembered" pity
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 09/30/22 12:17 PM

If the ocean side didn't have another garage door but a solid wall, would the outcome be the same . And if the lift was secured better and deeper into the concrete,would that of held it better..would like to see how the lifts held up.
Posted By: moparx

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/01/22 05:36 PM

wonder what happened to the two that were under the lifts ?
beer
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/01/22 06:57 PM

Here's the owner talking about it:

https://youtu.be/Kbf2LfBlqis
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/01/22 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by autoxcuda

I notice the house to the left seems to be built on pilings. And front door to house one right seems like second floor.

And the livable dwelling of the house the wing cars were in is elevated too

The codes in the Florida hurricane flood zones now require the living space to be elevated. I think it is 12 or 14 ft now. The space underneath can be enclosed, but the walls have to be designed to wash out so that the force of the moving water doesn't knock the structure over. Also you can't put your electric service panel in the lower area and you can't have any openings into the sanitary sewer. So the ground level is supposed to be considered a disposable, temporary space for garage or recreation room or something that could disappear in a hurricane.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/02/22 02:39 AM

Guess he stayed put and didn't want to "leave" his cars!
NOW his cars will be "leaving" him.
Posted By: beatgoeson

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/03/22 12:20 AM

That's a 12 Million dollar home. Fixing those will likely be small potatos for that owner.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/09/22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Guess he stayed put and didn't want to "leave" his cars!
NOW his cars will be "leaving" him.

Yeah.....leaving to go to a restoration shop and get fixed good as new. I'd say the dude has the money to do it out of his pocket and not even file insurance.
Posted By: srt

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/13/22 03:10 AM

WAG that the storage rack was not properly connected with substantial anchor bolts and maybe no footing to retain anchorage.
Storm surge and tidal action worked debris through the garage doors and acted as battering ram on the uprights. There is no sheer designed into the straight legs and with the weight of two cars up high repeated back and forth tidal action may have worked it to failure.
It would be interesting to know how high the surge was there and to have a look at the steel members, the fasteners, the garage doors (were they simple plywood to enclose a balloon foundation to locate home above flood level) and also the attachment to the slab (that appears to still be in place).
It does suxx, I've had to leave our home on several instances with sprinklers running as wildfires approached. Fortunately left no vehicles behind and never had a loss.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/13/22 03:20 AM

Storage racks were not designed for tidal forces but would be a simple upgrade. Bet the owner fixes the problem this time. There are a lot of situations where guys could add a lot of strength to their racks by fastening them together or to the walls. Doesn't take much, just some steel straps or angles and then they'll ride out an earthquake or flood.
Posted By: srt

Re: LOST 2 IN FLORIDA - 10/13/22 05:04 AM

Properly sized members, plates and fasteners supplemented by gussets and proper footings would be a good start..
Bolting it to the structure introduces a new situation that could be properly designed. Certainly owner knew the risk of leaving them behind.
I've looked at different lifts and "racks" The budget models generally are not steel shapes, rather fabricated or bent shapes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums