Moparts

newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed?

Posted By: Andrewh

newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 06:16 PM

so one of my kids is getting ready to start driving.
there are no real cheap cars anymore, but I started looking at cars that are cheap to fix, just due to layout and common parts etc.

mostly this leads to fords.
full size from 1995 to around 2011ish
the mercury and Lincoln cars with the 4.6 v8.
since that engine is pretty common so parts should be easy to source since they put them in mustangs too.

looks like 2001 and up are the way to go as some stuff got fixed that were problems before.

I figured that worst case a drop out engine and rebuilding the soft parts up front would make it a decent daily driver.
I originally thought I would give it to the kid, but I think I would rather they have all the airbag stuff, and I will give them my 2016 sonata to drive.
barring insurance being crazy to add them.

I have been seeing these full size fords for around 6 to 8k.
figure another 2k for a new motor if needed, as most have nearly 200k miles on them.
maybe another 1k for a suspension rebuild up front.
so worst case maybe 11k total.

anyone see a flaw in my plan?

It is true for around 16k we could probably pick up a subcompact new. but those little squish boxes seem like a poor choice. then I would give that to the kid. stripped down version of course.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 06:50 PM

anyone see a flaw in my plan?

Putting $11k+ into a 12+ year old car that's worn out and has 200k plus miles on it. If you're willing to spend $11k or more on something like that and giving them your Sonata, why not buy the kid a 5-6 year old Corolla or Civic? You'll spend a little more, but they're also cheap and easy to own/maintain, and you'll have a few years before you have to start chasing the constant wear/breakage that will occur with the 95-2011 Fords you're referring to.

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 06:55 PM

well, 2 to 3 k of that was to replace all the parts that might have worn out was the plan.

at the point I would buy a 5 year old corolla or honda, it is within a couple of k of a sub compact new.
I mean that is where I am kind of now in my thinking, but 4k instead of 2k or so.
if that makes sense.
Posted By: Neil

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 07:28 PM

Box styled Jeep Cherokees last a long time if you can find one that is not totally used up, or has been turned into a rock crawler.

Posted By: moparjim79

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 07:30 PM

The majority of the rebuilt engines average $3500, not 2k. Then what if the trans lets go? There's another weekend and close to 2k. What about the rear? Another weekend and several hundred if your doing all the work. Tires are expensive as heck now too. I personally would go the rear drive v8 platform because the comfort and maybe mods down the road. The price of fuel may play into things for you as well.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh
well, 2 to 3 k of that was to replace all the parts that might have worn out was the plan.

at the point I would buy a 5 year old corolla or honda, it is within a couple of k of a sub compact new.
I mean that is where I am kind of now in my thinking, but 4k instead of 2k or so.
if that makes sense.

The only 2 subocompacts you're getting for $16k are a Chevy Spark (if you can find one) or a Nissan Versa. Versa has a ton of safety features for it's price point, but the Civic and Corolla are still better cars with better track records.

I'm in a similar situation. Younger daughter starts driving in less than a year. Used car prices are high. The 6 year old, $3,700 Civic I bought for my older daugher in April 2019 and put $2,500 into would be a $7,500 car today, and still need $2,500 worth of work. We're trying to decide whether to buy my wife a new car and give my wife's car to my daughter, buy my daughter a new car (Civic or Corolla), or bite the bullet and overpay for a similar used Civic/Corolla that we bought for the older one, only at the higher price point of today. Not an easy call.

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 07:50 PM

that is true, but my job has a couple of kickbacks if I pick up a new all electric car.
it drives the final price down on the few I found into the 14-16k range.
but it would be something like a leaf or bolt.
along with texas and .gov kick backs on 1 or both I forget. which also may not be there when I am ready to buy.

honestly if I could find an old m-body or r-body with working A/C I would take that all day long, lol.
I know what goes wrong on those and can fix them in my sleep.
but the lack of safety features for the kids would drive me to newer cars.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewh
that is true, but my job has a couple of kickbacks if I pick up a new all electric car.
it drives the final price down on the few I found into the 14-16k range.
but it would be something like a leaf or bolt.
along with texas and .gov kick backs on 1 or both I forget. which also may not be there when I am ready to buy.

honestly if I could find an old m-body or r-body with working A/C I would take that all day long, lol.
I know what goes wrong on those and can fix them in my sleep.
but the lack of safety features for the kids would drive me to newer cars.

I believe the last two years of M body production had airbags. Of course that would make them at least 30+ year old airbags eek

Dodge Darts are cheap (last version not the A body ones, lol)
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 08:02 PM

Just flipped 300K on my Pontiac (Toyota) Vibe. (well sort of...odometer quits at 299,999..LOL). Runs like a top, cheap to fix. Would drive it anywhere
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 09:44 PM

I love those Fords. Reliable, RWD, V8, easy to fix and not too bad on gas either. if your kid likes them it can get them interested in working on them because if you buy a normal Crown Vic or Grand Marquis etc you can get the dual exhaust and other goodies off a police package and if you get a police package there are any number of parts you can get off of other ones to make them nicer even as simple as rims.

It should be kind of obvious but put some guidelines down and get something that your kids like because they'd be more likely to treat it better then a car that they're stuck with that they hate.
Posted By: topside

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 09:56 PM

Lots of advantages to an older car that still has parts support and is simpler/cheaper to repair, and finding the nicest one you can for the money.
FWD or RWD depends on where you live; my FWD car was simply better in snow when I was commuting 126/day on mixed roads.
Best safety feature is a good high-performance driving school so they learn control, dynamics, paying attention, and to not panic.
Not to mention firmly establishing a "no phone when driving" rule.
To learn the value of money & material things, a used car is better IMO. As in "want better? earn it" life lesson.
There's also something to be said for depreciating assets, meaning minimizing them, which is also a valid and useful life lesson.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 10:27 PM

Not exactly new but C3 corvettes are pretty cheap and reliable. Basic 350 to fix, parts everywhere. If he takes care of his stiff it would be worth at least what you put into it on a few years. Of course a 16 YO on a Vette is another concern.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 65pacecar
Not exactly new but C3 corvettes are pretty cheap and reliable. Basic 350 to fix, parts everywhere. If he takes care of his stiff it would be worth at least what you put into it on a few years. Of course a 16 YO on a Vette is another concern.

lol, I tried that idea on the ol' lady, when my son turned 16, telling her "no back seat". It didn't fly, I wonder what insurance for a teen boy and a C3 would cost
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 10:49 PM

I think your plan is pretty solid, giving your kid the newer, safer car to drive and the 4.6 cars you are looking at are probably decent choices (tough for a Mopar only guy to say).
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/23/22 11:00 PM

You're overthinking it. Its his first car, it will probably get destroyed, find something cheap, that isn't a 20 yr old taxi cab.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 03:22 AM

2.4 Auto darts with under 100k miles are easy in the 8-9k area.

Some 2.4-s have oil burning issues but not all. the 2.0s are good also, the 1.6 turbo and manual are all junk by 100k.
Some well taken care of 2.4-s (auto) are now past 300k miles.

My main reason to buy the first one is my wife is frail and the Darts have 10 air bags and a very good crash rating.

If needed they are simple to work on.

Just an example off the web.

Attached picture Screenshot 2022-09-23 at 21-15-56 dodge dart amissions test ready - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle.png
Posted By: A12

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 05:00 AM

Andrew, does your area get snow and would front wheel drive (or AWD) be a better option?

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 10:50 AM

like 1 week a year we get ice.
Jan or Feb time frame.
so snow really isn't an issue. When we do get the ice storms the city shuts down, so no one drives anyway.
except stupid 17 year old me spinning out and having to drive the wrong way on an empty street with a cop driving my way on the correct side of the street.

The other reason I was going to take the older car, was if it doesn't work that day, I can work from home without it being a big deal, vs the kid missing school or whatever.

I recognize that she might kill what ever I give her, based on my destructive past, and while a beater might be better, safety is more important.
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 12:29 PM

Another option is an S-10; Dakota or Durango all can be found pretty cheap and they are pretty durable. V6 Ram may be an option too.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 01:28 PM

Last spring I found an 03 Chev Monte Carlo SS 2 nd owner for about 4k. I have less than 6k in it it's been a great car. 3.8 gets 23 mpg. Avoid anything that doesn't have a 3.8. Their out there. Buicks, Olds.

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 03:38 PM

I stick with your Sonata or Mr. P has a good suggestion. A newer Dart! Lots of safety features, inexpensive, she'll probably be happy with that and maybe take better care.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 06:29 PM

No Hondas Toyotas or Hyundai's for me even if for free.
My wife drives a Durango that's about a month from turning 300k, if need be it'll be getting another 360 magnum just like what's in there now unless it suddenly rots into the ground before that point.

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
No Hondas Toyotas or Hyundai's for me even if for free.
My wife drives a Durango that's about a month from turning 300k, if need be it'll be getting another 360 magnum just like what's in there now unless it suddenly rots into the ground before that point.
I understand that sentiment and I share it, but he already has a Sonata.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead

Some 2.4-s have oil burning issues but not all. the 2.0s are good also, the 1.6 turbo and manual are all junk by 100k.

How come on the turbo cars? Rode hard approach for most of them? Or is it a bad design, like to lose head gaskets type stuff?

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 09:53 PM

I would also consider a "grandparents" type car line like a 1998 - 2004 Oldsmobile, Buick and the Mercury and Lincoln like you say.

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by A12
I would also consider a "grandparents" type car line like a 1998 - 2004 Oldsmobile, Buick and the Mercury and Lincoln like you say.
That ain't what the grandparents on this forum drive laugh

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by A12
That ain't what the grandparents on this forum drive laugh

laugh2 laugh2 up
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/24/22 11:53 PM

A bit of both, beat and lots of flaws. The manual trans and the dual clutch autos? are full of problems and puke by 100,000 and most are a 3-4k fix. However id love to find a 20k mile one to mod a bit but there just are not any around. Mods are so limited to the 2.4 mostly by the PCM and they have the muilti air brick but I cheated with one and offset ground the 2.4 crank and added a bit of compression for my altitude and it adapted well. Then the next hurdle is the six speed auto trans, great for oem power but near its limit as is. Its a Korean trans used by a few other import cars of the time.

But left untouched they are a great setup and although slow they are fun to drive... the tq of the 2.4 makes them feel faster then they are.

Originally Posted by crackedback

How come on the turbo cars? Rode hard approach for most of them? Or is it a bad design, like to lose head gaskets type stuff?

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/25/22 01:00 AM

My son inherited his grandfather's '98 Olds Intrigue when grandpop passed away frown . Grandmom didn't drive so my son got it. Low miles, always serviced and regular oil changes, tune ups and lubed. When he got his driver's license we put a nice Alpine audio system with Bluetooth and some Kicker speakers, and he drives it 50 miles a day, five days a week back and forth to work, 3.8 V6 with plenty of power and 25 MPG on regular gas, ABS, traction control and air bags. "Grandparents" car, not hot rodded or abused, well maintained and garage kept by non-smokers. smile

Attached picture 1106111545aA.jpg

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/25/22 01:42 PM

I looked for some of the older buicks, but they aren't really out there anymore for cheap.
the dart's are still in the 12 to 14k range here apparently.
only 2 under 10k were a salvage and the turbo.

I saw that coparts lets you advertise un wrecked cars, and browsed a few there.
some interesting cars under 10k there.
lexus ls430, also a 20 year old car, was kind of interesting.
some hail damaged vehicles, under 10k that also might be good too.

noticed a few cop cars, but realized the back seats were terrible. which could be good or bad, lol. Since they aren't allowed passengers or 1 person only till they turn 18.

pickups are not my thing and are apparently expensive to insure for a teenager.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 09/26/22 03:01 AM

A bit of both, beat and lots of flaws. The manual trans and the dual clutch autos? are full of problems and puke by 100,000 and most are a 3-4k fix. However id love to find a 20k mile one to mod a bit but there just are not any around. Mods are so limited to the 2.4 mostly by the PCM and they have the muilti air brick but I cheated with one and offset ground the 2.4 crank and added a bit of compression for my altitude and it adapted well. Then the next hurdle is the six speed auto trans, great for oem power but near its limit as is. Its a Korean trans used by a few other import cars of the time.

But left untouched they are a great setup and although slow they are fun to drive... the tq of the 2.4 makes them feel faster then they are.

Anything really bad with a manual trans car?

TIA for the info.
Posted By: moparx

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 10/01/22 04:00 PM

anyone for a minivan ?
my 99 short wheelbase caravan cost me $400 with a bad transaxle. the transaxle cost me $100 [with a 2001 caravan wrapped around it]
both had 140k on their clocks. after transaxle swap, i added new wheel bearings and brakes on all four wheels, plus another couple of trinkety things, and so far, it has been almost 40k of super reliable miles.
gas mileage is around 26, city or interstate, doesn't seem to matter.
plus, it will haul almost anything a pickup will ! boogie
beer
Posted By: JD340

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 10/19/22 08:46 PM

I've daily driven a 99 300M for the past 5 years now. It has never let me down. Other than routine maintenance a new rad a few years ago, it has been trouble free. It's a tank in the snow too, but that doesn't sound like a huge issue for you. up
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: newerish daily driver, cheap to fix if needed? - 10/19/22 09:27 PM

Put in your budget on a classified site and search off that, you'd be surprised at some of the deals that can be had. I did a $3000 search not long ago and was shocked at what was available
© 2024 Moparts Forums