Moparts

Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads

Posted By: vinnyd76

Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 01:12 AM

Anyone recently ship cast iron heads? I’m looking for recommendations on shipping companies.

Anyone have a good experience using uShip or equivalent for large/heavier items?
Posted By: old_racer

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 02:45 AM

last year I sent a pair of cast iron max wedge heads from wi to delaware via ups in two separate boxes , about $30 a box. worked ok
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 03:00 AM

I've shipped an 833 iron transmission with UPS about 15 years ago. It weighed 135 pounds and I think I charged $150 to make a crate and ship it. I shipped another one with Fastenal and just strapped it to a pallet and it only cost me about $60
I have heard Fastenal recently raised their rates though.

Gus beer
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 01:49 PM

If you haven't shipped anything using UPS or FedEx recently, be prepared for some BIG price increases...
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
If you haven't shipped anything using UPS or FedEx recently, be prepared for some BIG price increases...

That’s what I was thinking. I shipped an aluminum intake to a customer and it’s getting crazy.
Posted By: roadntrack

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 03:08 PM

I shipped a '906 last year via UPS
No problem with it...
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 04:15 PM

See if the head will fit in any of the flat rate options out there.

FE, UPS and USPS all have these options IIRC.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by roadntrack
I shipped a '906 last year via UPS
No problem with it...

It's not that they can't do it. It's that the cost to do it has increased dramatically over the last couple of years.

I bought a pair of tires from a guy early this year and he only lives about a 4-hour drive away (Northern VA to western PA). When we talked price, we both estimated it was gonna be maybe $25-30 each to ship them. Turns out t it was well over $100 for the pair, basically double what we'd expected.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/22/22 07:07 PM

A lot of the shipping companies changed at the start of the year I think it was that they charge extra when packages are over a certain dimension. I don't recall what the specfics are off hand, but my wife sells porch leaner signs online. They a 1x10" board that is 48" long. There's a $15 surcharge on everyone she ships due to them being 48" (I think anything over either 24" or 36" automatically gets charged an extra $15 regardless of how much it weighs).
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/23/22 01:07 AM

I've used Fed Ex Ground, UPS, Greyhound bus and Fed Ex Freight for car parts including sending a driver side door for a 1965 Dart 270 two door hardtop in a windshield box that I got for free from a local body shop up
I ship it to a guy up in Canada by Greyhound to a small town in either MI or IL, CRS.
I used a bunch of small empty cardboard boxes I had to act as insulators in the box between the door and big box on both sides to keep it from moving around, that worked well up
Shop around to get the best rate and best shipping company scope up
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Recommendation for shipping cylinder heads - 08/23/22 03:38 AM

Fed Ex here. Sent some off last year with no issues.
© 2024 Moparts Forums