Moparts

They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)?

Posted By: Dart 500

They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/20/22 04:29 AM

Posted By: topside

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/20/22 04:26 PM

Yeah, some years back; he was leading the field on a parade lap, and just stayed out there, circling the track.
It was great, and obvious he was going to stay on track as long as he could.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/21/22 11:27 AM

I was at that race. He was really enjoying himself!
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/21/22 12:08 PM

I've wondered if old school Nascar stuff could be competitive with some updating. Nothing major, just a thorough blueprinting of the chassis (especiallytires andshocks), better ignition, modern roller cam and lightweight valve train. Maybe some minor aero tweaks.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/21/22 04:02 PM

Nascar was destroyed by all the rules put in place in the early 70's after a Dodge Daytona broke the speed record witch it held for 12 years.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...-daytona-takes-automotive-heritage-award
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/21/22 09:08 PM

12 years? I thought it was closer to 20 before Elliott broke the record.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/22/22 03:00 AM

How many of the current drivers could even drive the old cars?
I remember several years ago when Dale Jr took one of his old man's cars for a few laps, and commented on how he couldn't believe how badly it drove and handled compared to the modern stuff. If I remember right, he stated how sore his arms were fighting with the car for those few laps, and that was still back when he was still driving. The kids they call "drivers" today would never make it 500 miles in the old cars.

Different cars, different drivers, different drive trains, and a different time. Its probably better if we just keep wondering.
Posted By: moparx

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 08/22/22 08:24 PM

today just ain't the same as it was when i grew up, in so MANY different ways. runaway
beer
Posted By: JD340

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 10/19/22 09:40 PM

I was REALLY waiting for him to drop the hammer and fly by the pace car! drive
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 10/20/22 12:10 AM

Very cool footage, particularly the overhead shots. Yeah, I'd have opened her up a little!
Posted By: Andyvh1959

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 11/27/22 01:59 AM

Very very cool. Maybe NASCAR should have a 60s/70s vintage series. Old body styles with new chassis underneath. Imagine seeing a Belvidere, or a Ford 500 or Galaxy, a Torino, a Pontiac Tempest, an Olds or Buick. I would love to see tribute cars like Coo Coo Marlin, Fred Lorensen, Wendell Scott, Richard Petty, Cotton Owens and others, their name in big letters above the side windows.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 11/27/22 03:35 PM

Isn't it amazing how small that car looks compared to the modern cars! And one thing is for sure, it NEVER looked that good when it was new... work
Posted By: poorboy

Re: They black flagged Petty in his hemi NASCAR? (vs new cars)? - 11/28/22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Andyvh1959
Very very cool. Maybe NASCAR should have a 60s/70s vintage series. Old body styles with new chassis underneath. Imagine seeing a Belvidere, or a Ford 500 or Galaxy, a Torino, a Pontiac Tempest, an Olds or Buick. I would love to see tribute cars like Coo Coo Marlin, Fred Lorensen, Wendell Scott, Richard Petty, Cotton Owens and others, their name in big letters above the side windows.

It might look cool, but I have to wonder if by the time you got done stretching the old bodies to fit over the modern chassis if the old cars would still look as cool. These modern NASCAR cars are huge compared to the stuff from the 60s.
© 2024 Moparts Forums