Moparts

selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter?

Posted By: Exit1965

selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/10/22 02:39 AM

Here in northern California we have a big problem with catalytic converters being stolen from cars.

Meanwhile, about 15 years ago I bought a Magnaflow cat from Summit for my 4 banger Nissan daily driver, and ended up selling the car. So I have this small cat converter here, brand new in the original box.

Given all the thefts and the thieves selling them, I'm not even sure where to go that's legit that I could sell/recycle this thing. Anyone know?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/10/22 03:15 AM

The only thing is that aftermarket cats are not worth anywhere near as much as factory cats are. I sell mine to a local high end scrap dealer that buys tons of cats. He keeps all his customers information on file. I get a couple hundred for a factory cat and the aftermarket ones are only worth about $40-50. Look for someone who buys brass and copper scrap they might buy the cat from you.

Gus beer
Posted By: topside

Re: selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/10/22 03:26 AM

If it says "Magnaflow" on it, it should be obvious to people that it's not OEM, and you might do better selling it publicly, but maybe not.
I'd sure want to mention Magnaflow & have the receipt, just to avoid problems.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/10/22 03:40 AM

Schnitzer is right down the road from you....
OEM converters require the vehicle registration. Aftermarket units do not.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/10/22 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kern Dog
Schnitzer is right down the road from you....
OEM converters require the vehicle registration. Aftermarket units do not.

Thank you, I'll check with them.

I also see that the converter is still available for like $116. So might be better off putting it on ebay for $75 and see what happens, as long as that's not illegal, I'd note it's not a California cat.
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/10/22 07:48 PM

Anyone know what a couple V8 Toyota cats would sell for? They're attached to the manifolds and one of them is cracked. If I can get close to the amount for a set of headers I'll do the trade.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/11/22 12:23 AM

I parted out a 2004 Camry. The legit recycler offered almost $700 for the pair but my sister who owned the car lost the registration....hence the reason for parting out the car.
A local middleman paid $450 for the pair.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: selling a (non-stolen) catalytic converter? - 08/11/22 03:43 AM

I sold the cats from our old 2002 Sebring Limited convertible after parting it out. I out them on Craig's List and did get a guy who sells used cats (yeah, not legal). He gave me decent money and I was happy that they were not going to be scrapped.
© 2024 Moparts Forums