Moparts

B-29 FIFI's new home

Posted By: FM3AAR

B-29 FIFI's new home - 07/31/22 03:41 AM

Incredible footage thumbs

Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: B-29 FIFI's new home - 07/31/22 05:43 AM

Great-----Thanks for posting. Pilot seemed to have a slight worry look on his face, but very understandable being what's in charge of.
Most of that outside videos were so nice, seemed you were viewing some simulation pc game or such.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: B-29 FIFI's new home - 07/31/22 02:58 PM

Amazing pieces of engineering and history.
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: B-29 FIFI's new home - 07/31/22 03:24 PM

Beautiful aircraft for sure.
Looks like she's in Rochester Minnesota today. https://www.airpowersquadron.org/rochester-mn
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: B-29 FIFI's new home - 07/31/22 04:46 PM

It would be interesting to know how many hours both of those pilots had in the B29 work
I've been flying small airplanes since 1989, I have instrument rating and a commercial license for single engine Hi Po airplanes. My airplane got total on the ground during in a hailstorm in 2006 shortly after moving here to Bend, there were no hangars available to buy or rent within 50 miles of our airport, so it was parked and tied down outside.
I hadn't flown it more than 20 hours the previous two years and of course it was under insured realcrazy
Flying can be terrifying in bad weather and very boring in long cross country flights in good weather up
That flight was a very short flight ferrying it to a nearby airport for a show, so they never got up very high. It was good to see the scenery in TX, very pretty country. up
All the preflight and before and after check list help make the pilots operate and fly the airplane safely, as long as they use them work
Posted By: 340727dart

Re: B-29 FIFI's new home - 07/31/22 07:44 PM

Fifi and Diamond Lil, a B-24 Liberator, were at the old Eaker Air Force Base last November.
I paid to take a ride in the B-24 to honor a deceased friend of mine who was a B-24 flight instructor during WWII.
The waist gunner .50 cals were mounted and we were able to handle them in flight. You had to really hold onto the weapon's handle to keep the barrel from whipping back and slamming into the fuselage.
I couldn't imagine being 19 years old, at 30,000 feet, freezing your canoles, and trying to hit Messerschmitts diving in on you at 400 mph, all while straining to fight the wind resistance on your weapon.
The Greatest Generation indeed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums