Moparts

62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love

Posted By: Mastershake340

62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 01:46 PM

I find this an interesting YouTube channel. Adam’s car interests and collection focuses on a lot of the big 3’s full size and 4 doors of the 60s and 70s. This video features a coworker of his’s 62 Fury and goes into a lot of details of the design hits and misses.

Posted By: bobby66

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 03:11 PM

I love those things! up
Posted By: topside

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 03:16 PM

Me too - I've always liked them and would love to have a Savoy 2-door.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 03:20 PM

i like them as well, but prefer the B-body dart of 62.
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 03:22 PM

I would rather have a 70 Coronet
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 07:09 PM

Without a doubt one of the ugliest cars Mopar ever built. What were they thinking? I'd buy a FORD before I bought one of those (and that's just one step above walking).
Posted By: 4x4 Roundup

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 08:01 PM

As the "finned" era was ending, the big three appeared to be searching for styling direction. All three made some big mis-judgements and there were several one year only cars. To me the '62 Plymouth looks about as good as the GM,s & FoMoCo's. twocents.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4 Roundup
As the "finned" era was ending, the big three appeared to be searching for styling direction. All three made some big mis-judgements and there were several one year only cars. To me the '62 Plymouth looks about as good as the GM,s & FoMoCo's. twocents.

You have got to be kidding me.

Attached picture 1962-chevrolet-impala.jpg
Attached picture 1962-ford-galaxie-500.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/30/22 11:27 PM

The 62 Chevy and Pontiacs look better than the Plymouth, imo.

The Pontiacs look as long as an aircraft carrier out back, but the styling is decent for the era. Like the bubble top roofs on all of them, but all that glass has to be toasty on a hot day.

1962 Dodge styling is more 'out there' than the Plymouths were.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 02:18 AM

Considered very ugly for many years but now some people are starting to like them again. Kind of like Edsels. Edsels were considered too ugly to even own for most of my life but lately I see them starting to pop up at hot rod runs and stuff. Same thing with some Studebakers and Ramblers. Stuff that we used for target practice when I was a kid are now starting to have some popularity.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 02:42 AM

I liked the video because the owner who I believe said he’s an automotive designer gave a lot of insights on the design Exner developed for the car.
I’m starting to broaden my automotive interests beyond anal details like what are the proper head markings for a bolt holding a 70 E body parking brake cable in place type stuff to overall history of what was going on in the automotive industry from the 50s through the 80s and even to some extent until today, so I’m really eating up videos like Adam’s. Car design evolves and there are so many pieces of the puzzle going on through the years like the economy, pop culture, government regs, and the top executives and designers over the years.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Considered very ugly for many years but now some people are starting to like them again. Kind of like Edsels. Edsels were considered too ugly to even own for most of my life but lately I see them starting to pop up at hot rod runs and stuff. Same thing with some Studebakers and Ramblers. Stuff that we used for target practice when I was a kid are now starting to have some popularity.

They're like fungus, they grow on you. thumbs My second car was a nothing special crew cab 62 Dart 440. I've been looking for another one but the ugly doesn't seem to have affected the prices on any I've found.

Kevin.
Posted By: Dartforforty

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 03:07 PM

62 Savoy low 10 second quarter mile car

Attached picture 81DB78B7-38D5-4AF9-B90F-FB4137519CC2.jpeg
Attached picture 4FEEFAF5-BB1E-4783-A157-EE47CCA749DD.jpeg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 05:56 PM

I owned a 1962 Plymouth Fury two door hardtop that had a 361 single four barrel engine in it when I bought it along with a complete Max Wedge exhaust system on it work
it was double ugly haha
1962 was the first year Dodge and Plymouth converted to uni body construction, it was the first year De Soto weren't made also shruggy
It was the first year Mopar made and sold the Max Wedge engines in the Dodge and Plymouth lines also boogie
I ended up buying and racing two 1963 Plymouth Max Wedge Belvederes, a hard top and a sedan that ended up setting the NHRA A/SA record several times after I sold it the second time. That was a really god car, I won a lot of races wit it boogie

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 05:59 PM

interesting top on the intake manifold.
it would be nice to see what was done internally, compared to the factory casting.
beer

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 06:03 PM

Cab, have you ever built a 440 and used the crossram maxi intake for street use ?
you may have discussed this before, but i don't remember.
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 05/31/22 07:24 PM

I love them! They definitely grew on me and I appreciate the unique styling of Virgil Exner and you can keep those slab sided boring Phords and Chebbies.

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/01/22 06:36 AM

I've ran them on street cars with 426W and 440 short blocks with the M.W. top end with the 1964 750 CFM Carter carbs up
If you get the right cam installed correctly they perform very well boogie up
The bigger the C.I you make the more power you will make with that top end up devil boogie
My first M.W. car I bought and ran had a smaller than stock cam in it due to the owner letting some one else talk him into a new cam when they were freshening the motor after he had spun a rod bearing in it with the stock air sucking swinging stock oil pickup and stock oil pan.
I replaced that oil pan and pick up with a 1966 to 1969 street Hemi pan and oil pickup and added the windage tray, work good, lasted a LONG TIME up
They will outrun most stock street hemi cars without much effort boogie devil up
Good cars up
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/01/22 01:03 PM

My very good friends ‘62 he has owned from @‘67 that he bought from a friend who I believe was the original owner…this car rocks and is a blast!

Attached picture D953D89C-0B9A-439C-A321-F8F2FBE99073.jpeg
Attached picture FA104C91-1E63-422E-82E1-0648485D9EA6.jpeg
Attached picture DFA56A70-735B-44F1-9C88-7488C7F52BF8.jpeg
Attached picture A4E5DB34-5AE0-45B1-B76D-2261F95BC2FA.jpeg
Posted By: GY3

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/01/22 03:15 PM

A '62 Plymouth Savoy is on my bucket list.

Light weight, no frills and big power with the Max Wedge setup.

My '63 330 would find a new home if I could find the right '62 to drop my drivetrain in.
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/03/22 04:11 AM

My latest acquisition, I've had it for ~6-8 months. Plan leaving the body/paint as is but dropping the 413 I have in it.

Attached picture Fury.jpg

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/03/22 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by shakerjoe
My very good friends ‘62 he has owned from @‘67 that he bought from a friend who I believe was the original owner…this car rocks and is a blast!

Love this car!!!
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/04/22 05:47 PM

Here's one I should have kept: https://www.volocars.com/vehicles/11852/1962-plymouth-savoy

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/04/22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
My latest acquisition, I've had it for ~6-8 months. Plan leaving the body/paint as is but dropping the 413 I have in it.
Love it!
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/04/22 06:39 PM

I agree, that's nice. Based on their asking price (WAS$39,998 NOW $38,998) I have to think it sold a while back.

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/05/22 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by TooMany62s

Awesome car. That would be an amazing car to drive around causing havoc grin
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/05/22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Stinson

I agree, that's nice. Based on their asking price (WAS$39,998 NOW $38,998) I have to think it sold a while back.

Yeah it sold several years ago. I have no clue where it is now.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/05/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX

Dad bought a white Fury 4 door hard top with red interior demonstrater in 62. Ended up being my car in 67-68 for 5 years till I t-boned a 59 Chevy wagon at 60 mph. So flexible you found the open a door when changing a tire.
Posted By: VL21

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/05/22 05:50 PM

At 31-63436 the '62s were the first year we had ... after having been a Simca dealer, Chrysler offered us a chance to move up, we sort of backed into a Chrysler Plymouth franchise.

I have thought for years they were pretty desperate, our 62 Plymouths were um slow sellers, The nearest Chevy dealer was pumping out full size Chevies as fast as they could get them in.

But I fell in love with our 300 demo car, a black/red interior 2dr, what a nice car that was. Dad liked it so much he kept it to himself for a long time.

The 63s came in early, so we hid them at our camp property outside of town, and I washed and sort of prepped a few of them, one of the first was a red Belvedere HT, what a redesign job! And of course they ruined the 300s. Though I liked the 64.

BUT, I loved the 64 Plymouth, and have had I think around 17 of them, in most all flavors except 6cyl and max.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/05/22 07:47 PM

Yeah people today might say they like the '62 but I would've hated being a Mopar dealer in 1962 and have to sell against the much better looking Chevy and Ford cars! Kind of like trying to sell '57 Fords against the '57 Chevy!
Posted By: 440newport

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/05/22 11:41 PM

Yeah people today might say they like the '62 but I would've hated being a Mopar dealer in 1962 and have to sell against the much better looking Chevy and Ford cars! Kind of like trying to sell '57 Fords against the '57 Chevy!

Ford actually sold more cars in '57. whistling
The Chevy certainly more iconic today though. I was never much of a Ford man but always liked the '57's.

Attached picture 57s.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/06/22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 440newport

The Chevy certainly more iconic today though. I was never much of a Ford man but always liked the '57's.

57 Ford 2 door sedan has tremendous looks.
Posted By: Jer

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/06/22 03:25 AM

A friend of mine sold this convertible recently. He had a matching red coupe but sold it several years ago. He sort of lost interest in the cars when his wife passed as they'd hit the local shows. The new owner loves the car and treats it as well as Pat did. Except he drives it on occasion.

I picked up this four-door recently. It was being rebuilt, then ended up being sold and used as a parts car to a guy who was, surprisingly, restoring a black over red Fury convertible. I bought the remains as it's such a solid car and nice runner. No clue when I'll ever get to it. I need a passenger fender, so if anyone has one....

Attached picture zPatRCar36.JPG
Attached picture zPatRCar37.JPG
Attached picture Transformed_62Fury54.JPG
Posted By: John Brown

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/06/22 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Originally Posted by 440newport

57 Ford 2 door sedan has tremendous looks.

Have owned numerous 57 Chev two door sedans... and I agree, 57 (and 58) Ford two door post cars are awesome looking.
Posted By: topside

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/06/22 03:14 PM

See, this is why we don't all have red Camaros, or whatever...
To my eye, the '57-'58 Fords and Mercurys are some of the ugliest things ever created.
Gratuitous and disjointed shapes, lines & details, and the '57 Ford headlight area has always looked weird to me.
In that period, the '57 Mopar styling was well-received.
There was a lot of weirdness going on with '58-'60 GM designs, too, and Chrysler's stuff in '61 is still odd to me.
Fact is, we don't all see shapes & details the same way, or correlate the details of vehicle designs as a whole entity.
But the debate is amusing and fun, and adds spirit to the hobby.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/08/22 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

1962 was the first year Dodge and Plymouth converted to uni body construction,

That would be 1960.

1962s developed a bad reputation based on folklore. Rumor is that a Chrysler exec caught wind of GM downsizing its cars, so the corporation went on a crash course modifying what already was planned. To boot, Exner was recuperating from a heart attack, so he wasn't really involved with the downsizing. Nonetheless, he was blamed.

And it's this story why the 1962s stand out in many people's minds, but the truth is that the 1961s were truly the ugly ones. The contrast between the Chrysler Corporation and GM and Ford is even more profound, yet history has a way of turning things upside-down because a 1961 Plymouth has got the kitsch factor in spades.
Posted By: TJP

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/08/22 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
i like them as well, but prefer the B-body dart of 62.
beer

Me too up drool

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/08/22 03:24 PM

As God is my witness I'd take a '62 Plymouth over any Ford or Chevy including '57 Chevy or any other including a Vette or any other you can think of and that's no lie. I LOVE MOPAR.

Re: 62 Plymouth, the car you hate to love - 06/09/22 05:59 AM

I'm almost positive that the 1960 Dodge Phoenix had a full frame, not unibody tsk
Are you thinking of the 1960 A bodies being the first unibody Mopar's?
I agree on the 1961 B bodies being uglier than anything I can think of other than Joe Biden and Nancy P puke
© 2024 Moparts Forums