Moparts

ELECTRIC BILL

Posted By: 440lebaron

ELECTRIC BILL - 05/18/22 02:46 PM

woke up last night 3 am, walked around house, noticed 10-15 led lights on, night lights, cable box, multiple clocks, internet rouutor flashing, refrigerator cycling. wondering if i shut off power at night?? surge when turned on in am?? save any money??
Posted By: second 70

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/18/22 02:49 PM

No
Posted By: TJP

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/18/22 02:57 PM

LED's consume so little power it would likely not even be noticeable. But the repair bill for repairing device like your computer, refrigerator etc. will far out weigh any savings. In addition the fridge may have to run longer to get back to temp and stay there which again woul d likely negate any savings. And I thought i was a Tight A-s LOL beer
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/18/22 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
LED's consume so little power it would likely not even be noticeable. But the repair bill for repairing device like your computer, refrigerator etc. will far out weigh any savings. In addition the fridge may have to run longer to get back to temp and stay there which again woul d likely negate and savings. And I thought i was a Tight A-s LOL beer

Agreed. MANY years ago I read the refrigerator was good for ~ $30 / month.

If you need to save money, get a budget. It's amazing how well you can live if you're in control. And amazing how well a couple of high school kids will be able to retire with virtually no planning. Just fund the 401K / IRA to the max, it's easy after a proper budget. I wish to h*ll I'd learned that before I turned 33, we'd already been retired several years.
Posted By: VL21

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/27/22 05:11 PM

MANY years ago I read the refrigerator was good for ~ $30 / month.

I have a friend in Vermont, just the other day we were talking on the phone about my electric bill taking a fairly large jump, and he mentioned his bill was $87 last month.

This is with 3 freezers and a refrigerator, electric water heater, burns wood for heat, grows a few beef cows and a garden (hence the need for freezers), lives alone on 100 acre farm his grandfather originally bought around 1927 or so.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/27/22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by VL21

I have a friend in Vermont, just the other day we were talking on the phone about my electric bill taking a fairly large jump, and he mentioned his bill was $87 last month.

This is with 3 freezers and a refrigerator, electric water heater, burns wood for heat, grows a few beef cows and a garden (hence the need for freezers), lives alone on 100 acre farm his grandfather originally bought around 1927 or so.

probably getting his electric from a utility that generates from water power - here on long island we generate with nat gas n oil ..... our price about 27cents per kwh... prob the highest in the land...
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/27/22 09:21 PM

If you leave chargers and stuff like that plugged in when you're not using them, it wastes electricity, but probably not enough to make a difference on your electric bill. On your fridge, if you clean the dust off of the coils when they get dusty so it operates at peak efficiency, that will help the electric bill. In it don't stand there with the door open.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/27/22 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by massdaytona

probably getting his electric from a utility that generates from water power - here on long island we generate with nat gas n oil ..... our price about 27cents per kwh... prob the highest in the land...

It's up all over...

[Linked Image]

Or

Time Of Use Rates: (1st two pictures are Summer usage, 2nd two are Winter usage)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/27/22 10:58 PM

Over 50 years in my shop, it has 3 phase power. 12 machines from 5 to 30 HP, 25 florescent 8 ft lights, fridge, electric heaters for office. Averaged 10-12 hours a day other than weekends, the largest bill ever was $79, good bargin I think. Central VA.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 01:38 AM

Just reupped my electric plan. 11.3 cents kw/h delivered
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 01:59 AM

My beer fridge is 34 degrees…… it’s around 100 in the garage. Probably not doing my bill any favors.
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by autoxcuda

It's up all over...
[Linked Image]

Or

Time Of Use Rates:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WOW eek

That looks like you would get a $400+ bill for just a 1000KW
1000KW here where I live in PA is still only around $125...
And that's current... after the rates jumped 23% & then another 7% last summer.

You guys are getting raped. shock
Posted By: bobby66

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 03:52 AM

"Electric Bill" would be a pretty good name for a band. boogie
Posted By: second 70

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 02:34 PM

Wow that sucks. Our KW is $.0988 winter and $.1139 summer.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 02:43 PM

Them are some crazy prices, I use about 1500 KWH a month.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 04:18 PM

Not sure how to figure all the extra charges so I divided the hours into the bill and got $.14 an hour. 13 items added up
Posted By: moparx

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 06:05 PM

i figure since i can't take "all" my money with me when i croak, i'll just "donate" it now to all the worthy home ownership costs i can run up. biggrin
beer

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/28/22 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Runner2go

It's up all over...
[Linked Image]

Or

Time Of Use Rates:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WOW eek

That looks like you would get a $400+ bill for just a 1000KW
1000KW here where I live in PA is still only around $125...
And that's current... after the rates jumped 23% & then another 7% last summer.

You guys are getting raped. shock

What are you doing to run up a 1000kwh usage per month?

That’s what 4500 sq ft homes with large sprawling swimming pools hit hot summer months here. Pools take a lot of power
Posted By: VL21

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/29/22 12:50 AM

So today I got my Duke Energy ebill. I used 678 KWh, ran the AC all month (up/down as to work sched), all LEDs, seldom cook, electric water heater set on 130<, live alone, old geezer, seldom have more than a couple lights on.

Energy chg rate 8.379 cents/kwh
Fuel adjustment chg 4.469 cents/kwh
Asset securitization chg .234cents/kwh whatever that is
Local taxes and local franchise fee chg $21.14 like I have any choice of where my power comes from
I have something they sold me a few years ago called Home wire, sort of an insurance policy for out of pocket repairs, or if I want a switch replaced, fan wired, etc

For the privilege of being a Duke customer, it seems there is a base, "customer" charge, $12.45

This is my second year of their energy averaging thing, my bill will be the same all year, so I'm not sure how that affects the above numbers, not sure I will do it again at renewal time, in the meantime I'm keeping things chilly here.

Monthly bill til next April will be $152.13

Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/29/22 03:50 AM

LOL.......wait till ya'll start plugging in your cars!! Gas will suddenly become cheap and electricity will be more $$ than ever!! Shocker!!!
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/29/22 11:18 AM

[quote=Runner2go][quote=autoxcuda][quote=massdaytona][quote=VL21]

That’s what 4500 sq ft homes with large sprawling swimming pools hit hot summer months here. Pools take a lot of power

not true - our house is 2200 sqft, and my usage from feb 24-april 27 was 2899 kwh 47 per day, or $11.46 - there are '2' of us in the house, heat with oil , add another 1k a month in the cold months - and that 47 a day will only go up once the central air goes on.... (it already has) ... it seems that $$$ goes out a lot faster then it comes in...
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/29/22 05:36 PM

not true - our house is 2200 sqft, and my usage from feb 24-april 27 was 2899 kwh 47 per day, or $11.46 - there are '2' of us in the house, heat with oil , add another 1k a month in the cold months - and that 47 a day will only go up once the central air goes on.... (it already has) ... it seems that $$$ goes out a lot faster then it comes in...

I use 32000kWh of electricity per year....My house (1300 sq ft) and shed (2000 sq ft) are both total electric (no pool). I have been on the Budget payment plan since I moved in 32yrs ago. My monthly payment has increased from $98/mo to $340/mo. I just had a 29kw solar array installed (powered up 9 days ago). In that time I have generated 1200kWh of power. So if things go as planned my monthly bill to the elec company drops to $50ish
In the summer months I uses 1000-1500 kWh
In the winter months up to 5000kwh

Posted By: Sniper

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/29/22 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing

I use 32000kWh of electricity per year....My house (1300 sq ft) and shed (2000 sq ft) are both total electric (no pool). I have been on the Budget payment plan since I moved in 32yrs ago. My monthly payment has increased from $98/mo to $340/mo. I just had a 29kw solar array installed (powered up 9 days ago). In that time I have generated 1200kWh of power. So if things go as planned my monthly bill to the elec company drops to $50ish

And how much is the payments on that solar setup?

You ain't saving anything if it's more than your electricity would have cost you from the utility.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/29/22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by W.I.N. racing

I use 32000kWh of electricity per year....My house (1300 sq ft) and shed (2000 sq ft) are both total electric (no pool). I have been on the Budget payment plan since I moved in 32yrs ago. My monthly payment has increased from $98/mo to $340/mo. I just had a 29kw solar array installed (powered up 9 days ago). In that time I have generated 1200kWh of power.(consumed 250kWh for a net produced of 950kWh) So if things go as planned my monthly bill to the elec company drops to $50ish

And how much is the payments on that solar setup?

You ain't saving anything if it's more than your electricity would have cost you from the utility.

Well I am capable of doing simple math... so yes it is less costly per month and after a finite amount of time drops to $0.00/mo ... my electric consumption is steady (year to year) but my cost continue to rise.

Re: ELECTRIC BILL - 05/29/22 07:03 PM

Different climates in different parts of country.

This IS what one 4500 sq ft home pulls in Camarillo CA… low of 800 high 1200. No solar panels. Gas heat, gas pool heat.

It’s one of the mildest climates in the country.

I’m in a hotter climate (17-20 deg hotter peak summer). And 1300 sq ft home with high of 650 last year, but 930 in record heat month year before. I have old A/C, 1970 casement windows, lousy 1970 insulation. Lows in Oct, Jan, Feb
© 2024 Moparts Forums