Moparts

Where would you sell a muscle car?

Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 01:10 AM

Where would be the best place to try and sell my car. I was thinking about ebay due to not really knowing what to ask. But not to thrilled with some of their new policies. Where have you had good results? Where to stay away from? Thanks
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 01:48 AM

if when I decide to sell.
it will probably be Bring a Trailer. seems to get the best response right now
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 02:41 AM

Depends on the car and the price range. If it is an average car that you figure might sell locally then just advertise it locally. If it is a special car that might need a bigger audience then advertise it nationally. I sold my Duster last summer on Craigslist. It sold in 24 hours for $25,000.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 03:52 AM

Mecum's Kissimmee auction in January sure seems to bring good money.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

I'm just wondering how much a seller actually nets after the fees, commissions and whatnot.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 01:40 PM

Great question, I wonder if anyone has solid info on say a car one expected to get 50k for and one for 100k. How does it all break down and how much added is put on the buyer?

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel

I'm just wondering how much a seller actually nets after the fees, commissions and whatnot.
Posted By: biggE

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 01:41 PM

Research pricing on your car by looking at closed auctions on ebay and past auctions from Mecum and Barrett Jackson. Once you come up with a price list it on Cars Online, Hemmings and sites like Moparts
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 02:26 PM

I don't know the specifics, but a friend of mine sold a '60s vintage Corvette through a private consignment guy and was very happy with how it turned out.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 06:16 PM

Be sure to get a reserve wherever you list. I talked to a guy about a 69 rr that went on BaT. He was told the estimate was over 50k, and they really wanted him to go no reserve. Maybe even got a fee cut. Car only brought in the 30s.

Always a lot of smoke and mirrors with a live auction, so I’d want one there as well.

These days I’d try the free or low insert fee route before I committed to selling with a third party that will want a big cut. You’ve got places like mopar sites, cl, YouTube, faceybooky, cars on line, and more.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/16/22 10:30 PM

If you have an honest and desirable Mopar muscle car, try selling it here with no fees. You may be able to get around some taxes as well. You could do a feeler in the WIW section.
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/17/22 12:02 AM

I use to like www.carsonline.com but now you can't even call them to make a change on your ad. There online edit section doesn't accept your email address when you originally signed up with.
Something has changed with their website.
I think they've gotten too big for their britches.
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/17/22 12:07 AM

A million details missing to properly answer.

Without all those details, I'd say bring a trailer. I've sold a couple no reserve and was happy with the result.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/17/22 01:45 AM

Sold one through a Mopar group on FB. Smooth and FREE. Gone in less than 36 hours wink
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/17/22 04:35 PM

It all depends on what you're selling. If it's something normal and not overly high value do it locally. Otherwise these days I'd probably use bring a trailer.
There still seems to be a lot of stuff on ebay that's sold for higher prices but there's also a lot of re-listings.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/17/22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Depends on the car and the price range. If it is an average car that you figure might sell locally then just advertise it locally. If it is a special car that might need a bigger audience then advertise it nationally. I sold my Duster last summer on Craigslist. It sold in 24 hours for $25,000.

Yep^^ I sold a 72 Cutlass Convert a couple years back on Facebook Marketplace. It was sold(for my asking price) delivered and paid for in cash in 24 hrs.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/18/22 11:06 AM

I sure miss the old website Hemi.net . Only thing on there was cool Mopars. Only took a couple minutes each day to look at new postings. I bought my 70 Hemi Charger on there back in 2001. Still regret not buying the 71 Hemi Super Bee road test car that was on there for $42K back then.
Posted By: RichP

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/18/22 12:41 PM

Try looking up Gotmusclecars... sells very high-end rare cars!!! Private collectors looking to buy or sell privately....

FB Gotmusclecars or gotmusclecars.com
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/25/22 02:28 AM

Facebook Marketplace or one of the many Mopar sites on Facebook. Everyone I know searches there. Bring A Trailer seems to garner really good prices but not sure what their fee scale is. We just bought a 70 Challenger T/A on Hemmings Auctions today. Fees were steep but vehicles seem to bring good money there too.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/25/22 02:39 AM

Car show with a for sale sign on the window.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/26/22 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
It all depends on what you're selling. If it's something normal and not overly high value do it locally. Otherwise these days I'd probably use bring a trailer.
There still seems to be a lot of stuff on ebay that's sold for higher prices but there's also a lot of re-listings.

Mine was over 60K 3 years ago. the buyer sent a 5K deposit overnight. When it cleared I overnighted the title. he sent the remaining $$. When it cleared he had it picked up. having an established business may have helped as well as a clean background if he checked. I did check his wink
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Where would you sell a muscle car? - 05/26/22 07:43 PM

Bryan Durdle has a Facebook group called 1970 Coronet Club. There are always serious buyers on that site. B-Body Mopar is another good one. Be prepared for a few idiots with no cash to chime in and be dolts, but I have known of cars to move fast to guys who really desire our model.

BTW, I would already own your car by now if I'd had the dough. A remember you looking to sell in the past. I've been drooling over that thing for years. Best of luck if you decide to go that route.
© 2024 Moparts Forums