Moparts

Got a call from my local Dodge dealer

Posted By: resqguy

Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 03:02 PM

I bought two (new) cars from them over the past decade and the guy asked if I still liked my 2016 Challenger. I told him the story that I had traded it 5 years ago because I thought gas prices were going up (they didn't) and It would effect my long commute. Anyway, he asked if I would be interested in another Challenger, I said yes.

After the call I got to thinking about why a dealer would be making cold calls in a time when low mileage used cars are so scarce, if non-existent. I'm getting the feeling that the '70s might be making a comeback where low mileage performance cars could be had for cheap as gas prices head through the roof. In our discussions the sales guy was still asking big money for his Challengers and I was thinking that he might suspect a crash coming so he is trying to "sell high".

Just curious if anyone else had gotten a cold call from dealers or if this was just an isolated case.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 03:15 PM

Local dealers here are on radio and TV constantly .. will buy anything , no matter the miles or year .. and one guy wants to buy street rods, hot rods muscle cars .. anything they can steal from yah
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 03:23 PM

Mostly getting emails, some including offers. My little brother sold his low mileage 2016 Maxima (it had became his spare car, he decided was tired of it taking up garage space) back to the Nissan dealer leaving a few thousand on the table by NOT taking Carmax's offer. realcrazy No savvy. FWIW, Carmax and Carvana offer the best prices since they're essentially "tote the note" lots. They can finance amounts the bank won't touch without substantial down payments giving them margins regular dealers drool over.

Since the dealers have little new car business they're trying to entice trading so they'll make more money and fill the salesman's time. My salesman says he making more money than ever without the pre-covid deep discounts. Says he'll give good customers a few hundred dollars off sticker, but NOT thousands anymore. I'm glad we're not in the market.

FWIW, I bought the 2016 300S with 2,086 miles, now at ~ 23,000 miles, in April 2018 for $29,000 and change, the last offer I got from Carmax was near that.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 03:58 PM

I believe they’re trying to place orders for Challengers & Chargers before FCA shuts down the production line. Isn’t the 2023 model the last year before the big changes?
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 04:14 PM

The only reason I ended up with my TRX truck is they gave me an unreal amount trade in (more the it was new) for my like new 13k mile 96 F250 4x4 manual trans power stroke diesel ford truck. I asked for 5k more then they first offered and they didnt hesitate.

So the whole system is all mixed up these days it seems.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 04:26 PM

Anything with a hellcat in it at least is still very unobtainable, don't see prices coming down. 2022 Order banks have been closed for weeks. Maybe this time next year stagflation will set in, right now it's just inflation and high demand.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
Local dealers here are on radio and TV constantly .. will buy anything , no matter the miles or year .. and one guy wants to buy street rods, hot rods muscle cars .. anything they can steal from yah
now Jerry would neeeeever do that ....would he? smile
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/03/22 11:37 PM

Is it still going on where a high volume dealer has better chance of getting the good cars or orders through quicker? Maybe that's why they were trying to get you in a new Challenger or someone had one ordered that they they were backing out of or the dealer knew they could get a better price for?

The last time gas prices went high it didn't do much for people trading in their bigger cars but it did slow down sales. But this time around who knows. With the price of used cars through the roof they'll probably come down to reality but will they drop much beyond that? And who knows what'll happen with values with the push for EVs.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/04/22 09:55 PM

A sales rep from a local dealer I've had my wifes 2016 Chrysler 200 worked on.

Called about 6 months ago and wanted to buy her car.
I told him 16k and he could have it (same price i paid for it in 2017 )

He said he couldnt go guite that much. But said he could get close if i was interested in upgrading.

Told him no thanks.
Posted By: Wagonmaster

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/08/22 11:52 AM

GF's daughter wrecked her car. Went looking for a replacement. Looking for Accord or Camry. Her choice. I couldn't believe the astronomical prices on these cars. Went to look at a supposedly decent 08 Accord. Had 281K, ragged interior, stick shift and the A/c was inop. The guy wanted 5K for the car. With a straight face. Said "go find another, this new, at a better price." He was right. Wound up with a 98 Montero - 198k, in need of a battery, tires, brakes and a cat. Still cost 1.5k to buy it. I am glad my 2 are paid for and in decent shape. Upped the value on my Hagerty policy.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/08/22 03:03 PM

I am sure I could sell the 21 1500 I bought last year ( especially with only 4100 miles ) for more than I paid for it but then what would I have to tow with? I took my D150 to a cruise the other night and past several dealerships of different makes and I couldn't believe how empty the lots were except for few used cars and trucks.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/08/22 04:35 PM

makes me glad my "bus" ['99 caravan] runs like new, and i have a big stash of parts for it "just in case"......... biggrin
beer
Posted By: kcarfanatic

Re: Got a call from my local Dodge dealer - 05/08/22 05:46 PM

.......With a straight face. Said "go find another, this new, at a better price." .......

A 14 year old bomb is "'new"???
© 2024 Moparts Forums