Moparts

Car tittle question for PA

Posted By: 71sat440

Car tittle question for PA - 04/27/22 02:01 AM

My mother passed away April 6th. One of my cars from high school was still in her name because it was taken off the road back around 96,

I have at least two other cars I want to do before that one, how do I tittle it? If I tittle it are they gonna have a problem since its been unregistered so long?

Can I just tittle it and leave it sit as it has been for years without doing anything else to it?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Car tittle question for PA - 04/27/22 04:04 AM

The executor of the estate will have to fill out a form releasing the title to you. You will probably have to take it and a copy of the death certificate to hour DMV and they will title it in your name.

At least that is what I had to do as the executor of an estate.
Posted By: scannman70

Re: Car tittle question for PA - 04/27/22 04:44 PM

You will need the Title, The Death certificate, and who ever is executor to go with you to Penn Dott Notary.

They will not care how long the car has been sitting, there are no back fees like other states.

And they don't care what you do after the title is in your name.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Car tittle question for PA - 04/27/22 07:04 PM

Probate Court if isn’t willed.
Posted By: EWJ

Re: Car tittle question for PA - 04/28/22 11:03 PM

In NJ, the executor of the estate can sign over the title. With the title signed over and the POA document, you can then transfer title over. No need for the executor to go to the DMV/MVC with you. However you must have the original POA document with you: no copies are allowed, regardless if the copy is notarized.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Car tittle question for PA - 04/29/22 04:08 AM

The last time I dealt with this I had a letter from the executor saying I bought the car, a copy of the POA and might have had a copy of the death certificate I can't remember now. But it was as straight forward as any normal transfer. Another time the executor signed the title and the license office had no problem confirming through their system that the person was deceased and the executor was the right person.

Of course you still need to hear from someone who's actually dealt with this in PA before drive
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Car tittle question for PA - 04/29/22 02:54 PM

Living in Pa I can add this. When my mother passed away in 2009 (my father died years earlier) there was me and my two sisters. My sister was the executor of the Will. Neither sister wanted or needed moms low mileage Chevy Malibu so I offered to buy it. We found a fair price and I paid each sister 1/3 of its value. We then went to the local place that always did my title transfers and I was handled in about five minutes. I’m sorry but I can’t remember if I had to pay taxes on it or not but I don’t think I had to.
© 2024 Moparts Forums