Moparts

Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet

Posted By: HotRodDave

Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 07:06 PM

And keeps going!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWMSc1TkDAI
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 07:25 PM

YAWN...... Like any newer tech doesn't go through growing pains. Id not classify a 3mph lift the tall and rotate a plane a crash. Great click bait though.

And more vids from the same youtube poster....

Attached picture Screenshot 2022-04-23 at 13-21-13 Tesla on Autopilot Crashes Into $3 Million Jet.png

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 07:45 PM

I know they learning but how they gonna program it not to run into a jet, stop, then hit the "gas" and try to keep going? Looks like a video of my wife driving it.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 07:56 PM

Pretty clear though they have a ways to go.
Posted By: A990

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 09:04 PM

From the comments, it was using a "Smart Summon" feature. Looks like operator error caused this not the car.

"This incident involved Tesla’s “Smart Summon” mode. As the owner/driver, you are supposed to be within line of sight of the car. You hold a button on your phone and watch your car leave it’s parking space and come to you. If you ‘See” anything that would impede it’s travel, you release the button and the car stops. The car uses the lines in the parking lot, etc.

In this case, the driver/owner did not stop the car by releasing the button on their phone. I have no idea where they were, of course, or even if they were watching the car, as required. But this is an airport ramp - no lines! So the car was, in my opinion, “free wheeling!”

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 10:18 PM

So the programming in the car defaults and says I don't see no lines lets just guess how to get wherever we're sposed to go!

Reminds me of Blinken in the watch tower "guessing no one is coming"
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 11:24 PM

The owner summoned the car with the call feature. Though, it should have seen a plane...
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/23/22 11:50 PM

Some real fine equipment we got here. I suppose our shark might just eat it..................
Posted By: TJP

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 01:23 AM

maybe the "Auto Pilot' was looking for a Pilot whistling stirthepot
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 02:17 AM

The owner summon thing is a bad excuse. The car should still be using it's sensors to know that there's something in it's way and stop.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 02:25 PM

You would think the car would've saw the plane It's all possible the forward facing camera and/or radar is aimed toward the road not up high enough to see the tail of the plane. Still something ain't right here. If the car can park itself and back out of a spot to come fetch you it sure should be able to avoid something the size of a plane even if the operator isn't smart enough to tap or release a button on a phone!
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 03:31 PM

It had no lines to follow, the computer was not programmed for that scenario so it fell back to line of site to find owner. You people are trying to put human brains i the car, nothing but a machine, amazing what it can do! Blame the programmer!
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
You would think the car would've saw the plane It's all possible the forward facing camera and/or radar is aimed toward the road not up high enough to see the tail of the plane. Still something ain't right here. If the car can park itself and back out of a spot to come fetch you it sure should be able to avoid something the size of a plane even if the operator isn't smart enough to tap or release a button on a phone!

I think this is the problem. A few years ago a Tesla on autodrive didn't see an 18 wheeler crossing a road and drove under the trailer doing about 55 or 60. The impact didn't phase it and it continued on for a while before it ran off the road and hit a pole. Apparently the computer was overwhelmed with information it didn't understand after the accident and kept going until the overwhelming data /confusion or chasis damage caused it to fail and wreck.

The driver was decapitated and died instantly. He had previously posted videos of his autodrive avoiding wrecks and touted how great the autodrive was on youtube.

Autodrive and driver-less are misleading names, it should be called driver assist. Well more accurately lazy person excuse to be irresponsible.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 04:25 PM

Musk regularly lies about the capability of the self-driving and similar technology of his vehicles. Not surprising that he does so, but surprising so many of the cult members believe it, sometimes with disastrous results.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by IMGTX
Originally Posted by Dcuda69

I think this is the problem. A few years ago a Tesla on autodrive didn't see an 18 wheeler crossing a road and drove under the trailer doing about 55 or 60. The impact didn't phase it and it continued on for a while before it ran off the road and hit a pole. Apparently the computer was overwhelmed with information it didn't understand after the accident and kept going until the overwhelming data /confusion or chasis damage caused it to fail and wreck.

The driver was decapitated and died instantly. He had previously posted videos of his autodrive avoiding wrecks and touted how great the autodrive was on youtube.

Autodrive and driver-less are misleading names, it should be called driver assist. Well more accurately lazy person excuse to be irresponsible.

programmers suck. I say that working in the field. not auto drive but doesn't matter.
it is my understanding that the truck trailer was white, so it didn't see it via the camera.
Why lidar didn't catch it is a question, if they even have it.
as to not stopping after a wreck like that, the question is, what sensors are in the pillars if any, and if they sheared off with little effort, it wouldn't trip a g sensor, so nothing happened according to the sensor or computer.
none of this is shocking, or a surprise.
dev's don't think of how it really works, just how they are told to code things.

the joke is
a wife asked the husband(read developer) to go to the store and pick up some milk. See if they have eggs and if so bring home a dozen.
so he comes back with a dozen gallons of milk.

This isn't a joke with dev. it is what they do. Very few think beyond what they are told the code should do. And none of them think beyond their little bit of code.
I don't know any straight up dev guys that could tell you how the software works as a whole. only the part they coded.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 05:15 PM

Who would be considered at fault if it ran someone over while self driving and driverless?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by RTSrunner
Who would be considered at fault if it ran someone over while self driving and driverless?

lol, just like real life, it depends.
were they crossing a 4 lane highway?
did they jump out from behind a parked car on a 45 mph street.

were they standing in an empty parking lot with nothing else around them and a tesla just ran them over?
Posted By: 360view

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 06:22 PM

Are auto insurance companies already factoring Tesla’s capabilities/dangers into rates?
(asking seriously)

Is there any way to know if a Tesla is on Auto Pilot
if you are passed by one,
or pass one on the Interstate?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 07:16 PM

Can't replace human drivers - stop trying.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Can't replace human drivers - stop trying.

I dunno about that, a lot of human drivers need to be replaced. They don't drive any better.

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by RTSrunner

Self-driving - the person in (or supposed to be) behind the wheel.
Driverless - The company that owns the vehicle, at the moment, would be primarily responsible. There's going to be a total mess behind the scenes regarding who ultimately pays, but to protect consumers, the insurance company for the owner of the driverless vehicle would make the payouts to the vicitims of the at-fault driverless vehicle.

Are auto insurance companies already factoring Tesla’s capabilities/dangers into rates?
(asking seriously)

Is there any way to know if a Tesla is on Auto Pilot
if you are passed by one,
or pass one on the Interstate?

Teslas are very expensive to repair, and that is factored in to rates. With regard to the self-driving features, that's less clear because this technology is so new and constantly evolving, that insurers aren't saying a word about how they are rating these vehicles with regard to that technology.

In my job, I'm heavily involved in the discussions regarding liability/subrogation aspects of autonomous vehicles. Most insurers are lobbying to keep things simple up front, as I noted above. Person behind the wheel/person responsible for the vehicle is the at fault party, and they/their insurance pays. If the loss was ultimately the result of a programming or technological issue, the insurers will almost certainly be going after the manufacturers via subrogation or lawsuit to force the OEM's to reimburse for the settlement and claims costs. The OEM's (Musk in particular) will undoubtedly push back.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 07:34 PM

It would be interesting to see what the repair bill that Tesla owners insurance will get for his lack of attention when using the summon feature with his phone.
My clubs Cirrus SR20 hit a bird putting a small crack in the composite material on the leading edge of a wing and the repair bill was around $5000.
I’ve hit birds with aluminum skinned wings and it just leaves some blood and gore to clean up, unless you hit something big like a goose.
Composite material on airplanes is really expensive to fix.

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 07:38 PM

I'm going to bet that the owner of the Tesla has either $100k or $250k in property damage insurance coverage. The auto summon feature is absolutely going to jack up rates for Tesla owners IF there is coverage provided while using that feature. Don't be surprised if at some point, it's excluded from coverage. Tesla is selling insurance themselves, and of course, they will cover it, but if you own a Tesla or any other vehicle that has this type of technology, don't be shocked if you are on the hook for damages/injuries caused when using the summon feature. Insurers are looking at exclusions like that when they re-write their policies for submission to the state Departments of Insurance for approval.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/24/22 09:45 PM

Developing smarter cars only results in dumber drivers.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Tesla on auto pilot crashes into jet - 04/25/22 01:08 AM

I used to work with programmers at Motorola, probably 80 of them in the division I was a part of (IDEN more commonly known as NEXTEL). Some of the most un-common sense people I have ever been around. If they couldn't figure out a bug they would make it a feature...LOL.. runaway
© 2024 Moparts Forums