Moparts

Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun?

Posted By: Powerflow

Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 05:13 PM

The tires on my spare daily driver (an old Taurus wagon) have dry-rotted so I need to replace them. I'm trying to stay as inexpensive as possible and found the ones made by Sailun are at the low end of the price scale. They are Chinese (no surprise). Has anyone here had experience with this brand? Any other budget-priced brands out there? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks...
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 05:28 PM

I think they are made by Krispy Kreme...but the standard Krispy Kreme donut would last longer.
Posted By: 69hemibeep

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 05:37 PM

Due to supply chain problems I had to put them on my motor home, I got the last 6 tires in the Phoenix area at the time in that size.. That said all I know thus far is they balanced ok and they seam to be round LOL
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 06:38 PM

Whats the cost for a set, and whats the tire size?

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by moparjim79

The size is P215-60R16 and I was quoted $120.00 each including mounting, balancing, and disposal. The least expensive Cooper (from the same tire shop) was $145.00 each.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 08:21 PM

At Work We have had the same life out of cheap Chinese tires for one ton vans and even some big trucks as we have had with super expensive tires.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 08:31 PM

I don't know
https://www.samsclub.com/p/falken-215-60r16-99t-epzii/prod24961166?xid=plp_product_3
sam's has falken tires for 91 bucks and 20 to install, so 111 for each one. saves a few bucks.

membership is free right now
https://samsclub.official-coupons.c...irCstcFkLroiKQ_ql2GM5OjwRlxoCq-sQAvD_BwE

so you save 40 bucks and at least I have heard of this brand.
not saying it is better.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Powerflow

The size is P215-60R16 and I was quoted $120.00 each including mounting, balancing, and disposal. The least expensive Cooper (from the same tire shop) was $145.00 each.

I'd spend the extra $100 for the Coopers but that's just me. Good luck!
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by Powerflow

I'd spend the extra $100 for the Coopers but that's just me. Good luck!

Not a huge Cooper pooper fan, but I would have to agree
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/08/22 09:29 PM

There are other cheap tires that don't fund the Chinese military. Just go to Walmart and buy the cheapest set that AREN'T made in China.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 12:19 AM

I believe more shopping around could be good for you, but I do understand wanting to buy tires from a local guy you know.

If your going to stick with your local guy, I'd pay the extra for the Coopers as well. Maybe you should ask him what he recommends, he has likely sold more tires recently then I have ever bought. He has apparently sold the Chinese tires before, but maybe he is just trying to get you the lowest price he can find your size tires in. Just because he offered, it doesn't mean that is what he would recommend. If you trust him, trust him on this as well.

Tires are going to get tougher and tougher to get over the next couple of years, investing in better quality might be a good idea these days.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 01:29 AM

The late model wrecking yards around here have nice sets of 4 for $200 +/-. Sometimes basically new take-offs. IF you have someone that can mount and balance them.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 04:29 AM

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=215%2F&ratio=60&diameter=16#allTitle

Has been about 100-120 bucks around here to get a set mounted. Who knows with inflation or living in the NE.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 06:18 AM

Plenty of used tires out there too...
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 10:59 AM

I sent you a PM.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 11:44 AM

Tires, like AN fittings, aren't the area to skimp.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 12:18 PM

It has been a few years but I bought some China made tires for my daily driver. I drove the car quite a bit of miles so I bought the cheapest one I could find at the time. The tires were barely a year old and the tires were cracking badly in the treads. Kinda like the cheap car small trailer tires do. The tire place would do nothing about it and since I was close to the mileage warranty mileage any way I just bought new tires elsewhere.

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 01:17 PM

At this point it looks like I'm going with Sam's Club (thanks to Andrewh for reminding me about them).

Thanks to everyone for their ideas.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 02:47 PM

I like Kumhos (Korean) for low priced tires. Likely will run them on both A-bodies due to price and performance.

As for used, my son wanted to get some smaller wheels back on the 2005 Grand Cherokee he just bought as somebody had put 22's on it. He found a set of 2021 (slightly different offset) 17's (same as original diameter) with OEM Michelins for $400. They were on Craig's List.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 03:19 PM

We get our tires at Sam's
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/09/22 09:57 PM

I like Kumho also, Check Amazon
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/10/22 12:48 PM

For 14" tires you pretty much have to accept what's out there because there isn't a whole lot out there.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/12/22 11:56 AM

Do NOT buy Capitol tires, put a set on my Ram for a trip from Maryland to Idaho, 3 of the 4 developed huge bubbles and belt separation. Only 2 made it back to Maryland, had to limp back with the 3rd one, GARBAGE!
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/12/22 12:29 PM

I use two pickups with 22 foot deck over aluminum trailers to deliver locally , they run about 350-400 miles a day , I bought two new trailers from EBY last year , spec'd 14 ply , Sailun brand came on them from factory , they did not wear very well .. IMO

I have replaced all of them on both trailers
Posted By: A12

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/12/22 12:32 PM

These Coopers are also at Sam's Club https://www.samsclub.com/p/215-60r16-evo-tour-60000/prod22422146?xid=plp_product_25

I went to Tire Rack and looked at all of the tires in your size and the ONLY tires Made in USA were the Cooper brand.

Me I would put tire quality always ahead of price regardless. You and your passenger's safety in my opinion is worth more than a few bucks savings. You probably spend more time in your spare "daily driver" than your other vehicles that have better tires. Just my twocents twocents (I spent the extra twocents to post this message grin )

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/12/22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by A12

I checked the Sam's website and these tires are out of stock in a 150-mile radius of my local branch. I'll go there in the next few days and see if I get better news in person.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/12/22 05:53 PM

Put a set of the Sailun on my wife's Escape ... she wanted cheap tires ... ,they absolutely SUCKED in the snow , total waste of money.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/13/22 09:56 PM

DO NOT buy Douglas tires at Walmart. got almost 15K out of them on my 06 Town and Country then they were bald! eek
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Need Inexpensive Tires...Anyone Hear About Sailun? - 04/13/22 11:50 PM

I bought a set of cheap tires for my wife's car once. Never again. Really poor traction in nice weather (though it was fun for about 20 minutes when the tires would break loose when the little turbo spooled up). It wasn't much fun when you couldn't leave a traffic light without breaking the tires loose though.
When the first winter weather hit, those cheap, junk, tires were pretty useless. I bought a new set the next spring, the old cheap tires were about 1/2 wore out (all 4 tires, not just the drive wheels). Those tire probably only had around 8,000 miles.

Don't buy cheap tires on something you intend to drive. It doesn't take long to figure out why they were cheap.
© 2024 Moparts Forums