Moparts

Daylight Savings Time may become permanent

Posted By: DaveRS23

Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 12:40 AM

www.dailywire.com/news/u-s-senate-approves-bill-to-make-daylight-savings-time-permanent

boogie That's okay with me!
Posted By: TJP

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 01:04 AM

I certainly hope so as I find it asininely backwards biggrin
Posted By: A12

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 01:22 AM

So will the clocks stay as they are right now (today) or will we "fall back" one hour (on November 06, 2022) again and stay that way?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 01:51 AM

It sounds to me like it stays the way it is right now. Nov will come and go without a time change, if it passes the House and biden signs it.
Posted By: A12

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
It sounds to me like it stays the way it is right now. Nov will come and go without a time change, if it passes the House and biden signs it.

up up boogie boogie up up
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 12:50 PM

If enacted, it becomes effective in 2023. One more round of clock changes if the legislation is approved as currently written.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 01:22 PM

Just wondering how much 'pork' will be added to the bill before it gets to you know who?
Posted By: wingman

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 01:43 PM

There's only so much daylight regardless of what the clock says--especially in the wintertime.

It comes down to do you want to be driving to work in the dark or coming home in the dark?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 01:51 PM

So technically time will then change in AZ…. Guess we’ll be on mountain time permanently then. Living on the western time zone had us living 1/2 the year on mountain time, half on pacific if you were planning things on the other side of the river smile
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
There's only so much daylight regardless of what the clock says--especially in the wintertime.

It comes down to do you want to be driving to work in the dark or coming home in the dark?

Exactly , here in the northeast it will mean in January the sunrise won't happen till after 8AM before it starts getting earlier .

I'm all for stopping the nonsense of changing the clocks back and forth but they should maybe make it a half hour from what the real GMT is and call it good ??
Posted By: 340727dart

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 03:25 PM

How about we just leave the clocks alone and stay on standard time?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 03:25 PM

i'm all for making it permanent ! up boogie
but if it gets signed into law, why wait until next year ? shruggy
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 03:31 PM

I've always said split it by 30 minutes and make it permanent!!!!

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 03:37 PM

i have sait that as well Larry.
at this point, i just don't care, KEEP IT THE SAME, YEAR ROUND !

and FINALLY, someone listened ! but i got both eyes on my back, as i'm SURE the general populous will get SHAFTED somehow or other with this bill ! whistling panic
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

and FINALLY, someone listened ! but i got both eyes on my back, as i'm SURE the general populous will get SHAFTED somehow or other with this bill ! whistling panic
beer
Yeah, at this point just I'm the same if they just get it done!!!

Another thing that's a tangent but what in hell with the 9/10th's with gas prices and can we get rid of that? What other retail product is priced with at 9/10th's?!!!!
Posted By: wingman

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 04:21 PM

beer

Because there are millions of software updates that will have to be made, schedules to be changed, etc. Will take some time.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

beer
Yeah, at this point just I'm the same if they just get it done!!!

Another thing that's a tangent but what in hell with the 9/10th's with gas prices and can we get rid of that? What other retail product is priced with at 9/10th's?!!!!

I'm with you guys, fix it and leave it. After all my life advocating for DST I think splitting the difference would be the way to go. Whatever fixes it year round I'm good with.

The practice of tacking 9/10 of a cent on the end of a gas price goes back to when gas cost only pennies per gallon and was a tax imposed by state and federal governments. Gas stations added the fraction of a cent on the end of the price instead of rounding up the price. Back then, a full penny would have been a budget-buster for customers. The federal tax was implemented in 1932 as part of the Revenue Act of 1932 and was supposed to expire in 1934 eyes I'm pretty sure there's a civil war era tax that was supposed to expire at the end of it's intended purpose, to the best of my knowledge they're still collecting it.

I've ALWAYS read it rounded up, my wife just leaves off the .9 One of my buddies wanted to make an issue of my rounding it up. I told him to go down and buy one unit (gallon), come back and show me the change you get.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

When I had to file state taxes on my prior business, all extra taxes over the taxed amount had to be turned in as tax revenue. i.e. you can't charge somebody 9/10th of a cent so the tax has to be rounded to a full percent and the state/feds keep that other .1 percent.

Effectively making the 9/10ths of a cent a full cent tax without calling it that. It was also illegal in that state to pay the taxes for the consumer for the a similar reason. The laws create the most revenue possible for the government.
Posted By: HemiSportFury

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/16/22 11:38 PM

beer

Because there are millions of software updates that will have to be made, schedules to be changed, etc. Will take some time.
Just watch. The IT guys will turn this into another Y2K.

Couple of questions: If we stay on Daylight Savings time all year, what happens to the hour we lost? Do we all just lose an hour of our lives?

Concerning the 9/10ths and gas tax, when will EVs start paying for the roads they drive on? This one is a real issue and the politicians aren't so dumb that they don't know this. They want us to buy the cars first and then will figure out how to tax us.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by HemiSportFury

Concerning the 9/10ths and gas tax, when will EVs start paying for the roads they drive on? This one is a real issue and the politicians aren't so dumb that they don't know this. They want us to buy the cars first and then will figure out how to tax us.

They aren't dumb, once you buy it and then they lay the tax on you then you are stuck.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 04:21 AM

beer

Just watch. The IT guys will turn this into another Y2K.

Couple of questions: If we stay on Daylight Savings time all year, what happens to the hour we lost? Do we all just lose an hour of our lives?

In Indiana at least, EV's pay through the nose in license plate fees every year. That's because they don't pay fuel taxes.

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 04:05 PM

"In Indiana at least, EV's pay through the nose in license plate fees every year. That's because they don't pay fuel taxes."

how is this tag fee calculated ? average fuel consumption of X brand,Y model, times Z average miles driven per year by the average citizen ?
or just an arbitrary number picked out of the sky by a governmental genius ?
beer
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 04:30 PM

I hope it passes. Always Seemed to prefer daylight savings time.

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 04:33 PM

beer

i never thought about that angle. thanks for pointing that out. up
and as was mentioned, probably another Y2K moment for some folks. laugh2
beer
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 04:50 PM

beer

i never thought about that angle. thanks for pointing that out. up
and as was mentioned, probably another Y2K moment for some folks. laugh2
beer

I don't know about mainframes, but for windows all they have to do is delete the applet that tells it to change the time on whatever date it is. Everytime they've changed the DST implementation date, MS and all the linux distros incorporate the change into their regular updates. Our Durango and 300 get their time from the GPS satellites, I think? No idea what's involved with that.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by John Brown

In Indiana at least, EV's pay through the nose in license plate fees every year. That's because they don't pay fuel taxes.

Define pay thru the nose. According to this site, it's $150/year not quite thru the nose and doubtful it covers it's share of road usage.

https://www.myev.com/research/inter...e-extra-fees-to-own-an-electric-vehicle.

When I lived in Indiana there was a excise tax each year on vehicles, one reason I never went back.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR

Exactly , here in the northeast it will mean in January the sunrise won't happen till after 8AM before it starts getting earlier .

I'm all for stopping the nonsense of changing the clocks back and forth but they should maybe make it a half hour from what the real GMT is and call it good ??

No one thinks out that far. They only think of the immediate positives and not the potential negatives. Sun rising at 8AM in the winter will be super depressing for me.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 08:00 PM

If we stay on Daylight Savings time all year, what happens to the hour we lost? Do we all just lose an hour of our lives?

Finally when you say ... there's an hour of my life I'll never get back ... it's actually true
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 08:33 PM

If we stay on Daylight Savings time all year, what happens to the hour we lost? Do we all just lose an hour of our lives?

Finally when you say ... there's an hour of my life I'll never get back ... it's actually true

Not really…we’re all going to live an hour longer.
Posted By: VL21

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/17/22 10:02 PM

]

No one thinks out that far. They only think of the immediate positives and not the potential negatives. Sun rising at 8AM in the winter will be super depressing for me. [/quote]

I grew up in a small town in Vermont, in a north/south valley.

In winter time, the sun was setting for us around 3:00 pm, man those days dragged by. An extra hour of daylight in the afternoon would have been nice, though the days would have still been short.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/23/22 01:52 AM

Id love it to be lighter longer in the evening, more time to do stuff outside. I don't care if it's dark a bit longer in the morning.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/23/22 11:04 AM

Elderly people with Dementia do not adapt well to the time change twice a year.

I have seen this myself, and Hospice workers agree it causes widespread problems.

This is on top of serious problems at nursing homes on the 11 PM to 7 AM shift where frequent staffing absentee problems result in the lights being left on and widespread noise from a few patients leading to most patients never getting “deep sleep.”

Lack of sleep is one reason 50% of nursing home residents die within six months, and 80% die within a year.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Daylight Savings Time may become permanent - 03/23/22 11:25 AM

doesn't matter to me either way. i don't have any problem with the time changes.
i remember when J Carter extended DST during the gas crunch in the 70's.
i didn't care for waiting for the morning school buss in the dark .it made things colder than they should have been. it sucked sitting in sub 0 temps with no sun.
© 2024 Moparts Forums