Moparts

Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 03:18 AM

I see some incredibly high hammer prices at the BJ Scottsdale auction. It would seem to be a gold mine for some of the sellers.

How much does it cost? I looked at BJ's website, and they were pretty secretive about it.

I Know there is a commission as a percentage of sale price, how about entry fee, and how much extra to get it placed on a good day and time, clean up, other costs?

Does BJ try to scam the sellers with a bunch of hidden costs? Has anyone sold a car there?

Thanks, Joel
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 11:43 AM

The big problem with Barrett Jacskson is you have no control over the car once it is in their auction. I know a guy who LOST $30,000 on a car. He could not just keep the car or bid on it to try and keep it. The bidding assistant just said “ well, I’m sorry. I thought it would bring more money.” He even tried to sue them but their contract is air tight. You get what you get. Yes, he even had to pay all the fees and commissions.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 02:34 PM

u sign a contract in a 'no-reserve' auction... the fees are clearly spelled out- i don't understand the problem... as to not being able to buy it back, i'm sure a friend could bid n buy it back for you...
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 03:31 PM

If you are a gambler Barrett Jackson is the place for you. Some times you hit a home run. It's guaranteed that a few people this past weekend are not happy.
It's no reserve for any car they value under 500K.
Yes they charge more per day to reserve a number as it gets to the Saturday big day.
I've sold a few cars at Mecum but never at BJ for 2 reasons. BJ is no reserve and they hold the money for 21 days.
In most cases at Mecum you walk away with a check the day the car sells.
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
The big problem with Barrett Jacskson is you have no control over the car once it is in their auction. I know a guy who LOST $30,000 on a car. He could not just keep the car or bid on it to try and keep it. The bidding assistant just said “ well, I’m sorry. I thought it would bring more money.” He even tried to sue them but their contract is air tight. You get what you get. Yes, he even had to pay all the fees and commissions.

If he didn't plan ahead to have someone bid on it, that makes zero sense. Plenty of sellers have bought their own cars back.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
I see some incredibly high hammer prices at the BJ Scottsdale auction. It would seem to be a gold mine for some of the sellers.

How much does it cost? I looked at BJ's website, and they were pretty secretive about it.

I Know there is a commission as a percentage of sale price, how about entry fee, and how much extra to get it placed on a good day and time, clean up, other costs?

Does BJ try to scam the sellers with a bunch of hidden costs? Has anyone sold a car there?

Thanks, Joel

Since when do you sell anything?

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 04:08 PM

Usually never Jeff. As you know.

But I have now spent over 6 weeks going through my dad's stuff and I haven't even touched 20 of the 21 cars he left behind. I have 27 cars in my own collection, I'm over 60, and the market is hot. I'm not saying anything's for sale. If I was smart I'd be selling right now.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 09:13 PM

With the prices from the last couple of auctions . . .OMG !! I never knew that a square body, nothing special GM 1/2 ton could sell for so much money !!! . . has the world gone crazy ?!?!?!?
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Usually never Jeff. As you know.

But I have now spent over 6 weeks going through my dad's stuff and I haven't even touched 20 of the 21 cars he left behind. I have 27 cars in my own collection, I'm over 60, and the market is hot. I'm not saying anything's for sale. If I was smart I'd be selling right now.

Your Arizona to MN. Corvair trip was great to follow on the HAMB, that car looks like a keeper. Good luck if you decide to sell the rest of his collection.

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 01/31/22 10:24 PM

65'r, I'm Glad you liked the Corvair story. It was good therapy for me to get his car back in running condition after his death and drive it home. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-dads-car-attempting-2000-miles.1244124/

Oh, I couldn't sell all of my cars though. I really like every one of them. Each one has its own story and its own personality, and its own special meaning to me. Maybe I could sell about ten, and then roll the money from them into one car. That would reduce space requirements, reduce maintenance and projects, and improve the overall quality of the collection.

The Barrett-Jackson thing seems like it might be a little bit too much hassle though. But who knows? You bring the car there, pay the fees, and it's over with.

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/01/22 02:04 AM

If you want barrett jackson and you're selling muscle cars, I'd contact David Wise. BJ has him go over the cars they sell. I don't know anything about your collection, but I think having him come in and authenticate what you have with one of his reports and speak to him about the best way to go about it would be smart. Especially if you have 10 cars. Especially if they know there could be more if things go well with the first 10.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/01/22 02:21 AM

I believe tallzag or his brother took a 70 Charger r/t V-code? there a few year ago.

Was disappointed and disenchanted.

Could have sold it for the little more net money at home. Without the trip hassle.

He was a first timer. No history with them. One car.

Got lousy selling time.
Posted By: ricomondo

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/01/22 03:41 AM

I believe the fees are the same as Mecum; 10% buyers fee (in person), 12% online or phone.
There's also a sellers fee. BJ is a NO RESERVE auction as mentioned.
Mecum you can set a reserve, and if it does not sell, as you've seen they mark it "the bid goes on" and then into another corral and you still could sell while it is in the bid goes on area. Still would be subject to the same fees.
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/01/22 03:46 AM

One of the guys who restored my Challenger drove a Corvette onto the bidding platform Saturday night. He did a lot of the work on it. The car sold for 650,000. He is a tremendous metal crafter.
Local UPS route driver, restores vettes and take them to BJ about every year.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/01/22 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ricomondo
I believe the fees are the same as Mecum; 10% buyers fee (in person), 12% online or phone.
There's also a sellers fee. BJ is a NO RESERVE auction as mentioned.
Mecum you can set a reserve, and if it does not sell, as you've seen they mark it "the bid goes on" and then into another corral and you still could sell while it is in the bid goes on area. Still would be subject to the same fees.

Iirc if you list no reserve at Mecum, the sellers premium is 5% instead of 10%.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/02/22 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by McCandlessboy
If you want barrett jackson and you're selling muscle cars, I'd contact David Wise. BJ has him go over the cars they sell. I don't know anything about your collection, but I think having him come in and authenticate what you have with one of his reports and speak to him about the best way to go about it would be smart. Especially if you have 10 cars. Especially if they know there could be more if things go well with the first 10.

Won't dispute what your saying but I will say I have seen A LOT of perfumed pigs come from BJ in the last 20+ years (40-50+ if not more). Only a few needed little beer

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/02/22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

Won't dispute what your saying but I will say I have seen A LOT of perfumed pigs come from BJ in the last 20+ years (40-50+ if not more). Only a few needed little beer

Of course. I'm speaking more to very recent years. My collection is hyper specific, 55-61 mopars. I've been contacted numerous times, providing TSB's and other things to help them authenticate certain things. They're taking it very serious now. No auction house is perfect, but I've seen a change the past few years especially with BJ. I can't comment on mustangs, vettes, etc. I don't do muscle cars, so I can't be of help there. I do know on this era of cars, Wise has more info than anyone to help authenticate things. I was impressed.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 02:54 AM

Just got back from B-J and have only been there one time in the last 10 years, had a booth there for 5 years as a vendor. NEVER, I will repeat, NEVER sell a car at B-J, the car we took there this year did $115K and we wanted $150K and still had to pay the fees and commissions. If I ever sell a car at auction again it will be Mecum, and Dana buys a good percentage of the cars there too...LOL

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by TJP

Of course. I'm speaking more to very recent years. My collection is hyper specific, 55-61 mopars. I've been contacted numerous times, providing TSB's and other things to help them authenticate certain things. They're taking it very serious now. No auction house is perfect, but I've seen a change the past few years especially with BJ. I can't comment on mustangs, vettes, etc. I don't do muscle cars, so I can't be of help there. I do know on this era of cars, Wise has more info than anyone to help authenticate things. I was impressed.

Dave has kicked a few cars out of B-J for being faked, I didn't catch up with him this year but it is always interesting to see what he says about the cars being auctioned there...

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Just got back from B-J and have only been there one time in the last 10 years, had a booth there for 5 years as a vendor. NEVER, I will repeat, NEVER sell a car at B-J, the car we took there this year did $115K and we wanted $150K and still had to pay the fees and commissions. If I ever sell a car at auction again it will be Mecum, and Dana buys a good percentage of the cars there too...LOL

that u didn't get your number is bj?s fault.... now that's funny
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 12:05 PM

Just got back from B-J . . . the car we took there this year did $115K and we wanted $150K and still had to pay the fees and commissions.

What car did you sell?
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 09:13 PM

........., the car we took there this year did $115K and we wanted $150K and still had to pay the fees and commissions.........

So what you are saying you bought back your own car??? 20% of 115k is 23k.
Posted By: tallzag

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 09:57 PM

Yes my Dad sold a 1970 Dodge Charger V Code car at BJ a few years ago and it was not a great experience. First time seller and the car was definitely short gaveled. Can't remember the numbers but you are guaranteed a certain amount of time on the block and it was not given. Not much you can do about it as they have iron clad contracts and everything is no reserve. They did get good money for stuff this year however and this was a few years ago.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by tallzag
Yes my Dad sold a 1970 Dodge Charger V Code car at BJ a few years ago and it was not a great experience. First time seller and the car was definitely short gaveled. Can't remember the numbers but you are guaranteed a certain amount of time on the block and it was not given. Not much you can do about it as they have iron clad contracts and everything is no reserve. They did get good money for stuff this year however and this was a few years ago.

Was your car in TV ?

We only really talk about the ones that make TV. Could the fake sales we see on TV just entice people to list their cars that actually sell and get commissions on?
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/03/22 11:00 PM

Only a god damn fool would sell their car on live TV for the whole world to see( IRS) . I know a guy who sold an "R" code car a few years ago and had to make quarterly payments to the U.S. Treasury for the capital gain. If he had sold it privately who would know?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by tallzag

Years ago there was a lawsuit about not being given the agree upon time on the block. I never heard an outcome. Pretty interesting you’d be guaranteed a set amount of time and it be on their own video as to how long you got. Not sure if your car was on tv, the one(s) in question supposedly were.
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 05:18 AM

Changing the subject slightly, I think if you are decent with a camera and don’t mind interacting as a seller I think Bring a Trailer is the go to right now, decent well presented cars are doing very well there as I have been following all the Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars for quite a while. $99 to list a car is all it costs to list for the seller and 5% for buyer. I will be listing and representing a friend of mine’s’69 Road Runner very soon.

Attached picture 1548CF08-5379-4FF1-A757-F8C4638756D3.jpeg
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 05:31 AM

BaT is a neat site, but mopars are soft on there. Be sure to get a reserve.

I talked to a seller about a car and it turned out he’d been waiting a few months for his BaT slot to come up. It sounded to me like BaT pushed him hard to go no reserve. Several people I talked to felt this was a 50k car. I ended up not pulling the trigger and snatched up a local car. I saw the auction a few weeks later and it went for something like only 36k.

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by formula_s
Only a god damn fool would sell their car on live TV for the whole world to see( IRS) . I know a guy who sold an "R" code car a few years ago and had to make quarterly payments to the U.S. Treasury for the capital gain. If he had sold it privately who would know?

The TV part had nothing to do with that.

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by massdaytona

Wasn't my car but one I took there, and it WAS B-J's fault, they had no bidder assistants in the Muscle Lounge and there were three people trying to get the BA's attention! On Saturday there were lots of BA's up there... mad

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 06:34 PM

Wasn't my car but one I took there, and it WAS B-J's fault, they had no bidder assistants in the Muscle Lounge and there were three people trying to get the BA's attention! On Saturday there were lots of BA's up there... mad

then i stand corrected...
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 09:19 PM

How much more $ would it have cost them to sell the car with a Saturday spot?

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/04/22 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

How much more $ would it have cost them to sell the car with a Saturday spot?

By the time they wanted to sell it there were no Saturday prime time spots left, but I don't know the answer anyway what the prices are for prime time.
Posted By: mkdart

Re: Who has sold at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale? Cost of selling? - 02/06/22 02:15 PM

Joel,Just read the story about the Corvair trip,Loved it!!
You are up there with Mopar Billy at story telling skills.

Thanks, Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums