Moparts

URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!!

Posted By: SportFuryS/23383

URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/21/22 07:20 PM

You heard that right, $1.00 5 QT oil at Home Depot. It is Pennzoil 5 QT High Mileage 10W/40. I saw this on another forum I'm on and thought are you kidding is this a joke, but sure enough I went there this morning and brought it to the cashier and they said it is indeed $1.00. There were 5 on the shelf and needless to say I grabbed all 5, the total give or take came to about $5.35.

**It's a great deal, don't wait on this. Just one at Walmart costs $15.00-20.00**

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/21/22 07:41 PM

NOTE- It is the conventional oil NOT the synthetic!
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/21/22 07:46 PM

Not for that price around here.$4.98 a quart and $16.97 for 5 qts.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/21/22 08:26 PM

Couple weeks ago local HD had Castrol Syntec full synthetic for $7 per 5 quart jug for 10W-30. For that, I will run it in my lawnmowers. It did not last long.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/21/22 11:13 PM

16.97 here, checked in person, manually at the cash register.
Worth a look as this is the kind of thing I usually run in my tractor …
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/21/22 11:21 PM

These photos show an engine that was subjected to Pennzoil over and over again........

Attached picture 1970 383 sludge 1.JPG
Attached picture 1970 383 sludge 3.JPG
Attached picture 1970 383 sludge 4.JPG
Posted By: MadMopars

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
These photos show an engine that was subjected to Pennzoil over and over again........

Original owner? What was the duration between oil changes?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 03:58 AM

Back in the 80's my old business partner had a buddy who was a retired GM engineer & he was wrenching for people out of his garage. He always called Pennzoil "black death." From your photos, I see exactly why!
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 03:18 PM

Yep! Early 80s I worked at a shop that had bulk Penzoil that we put in every car that came in. I got it for free so I put it in my car as well. In 50k miles my engine looked like this one. Never again. I won't buy that stuff regardless of price.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Back in the 80's my old business partner had a buddy who was a retired GM engineer & he was wrenching for people out of his garage. He always called Pennzoil "black death." From your photos, I see exactly why!

I have heard stories like that about Quaker State but not Pennzoil. I have run it many thousand miles with no problems.
Posted By: second 70

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by pushbutton
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

I have heard stories like that about Quaker State but not Pennzoil. I have run it many thousand miles with no problems.

Back in the 70's and 80's we found the multi grade Quarker State would do that but not the straight weight. Pennzoil seemed to almost always wax up.
Posted By: moparx

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 04:37 PM

it was quaker state around here as well. pennzoil had a good rep.
of course long spans between changes, only changing the filter every other oil change, short trips not getting the engine up to temperature, plugged up breather systems, all contributed to the engine pics Barry posted. it didn't matter what oil was used. i got many engines like that back in my junkyard ownership days.
guys used to "unsludge" engines by draining the oil out, then dumping in 5 or 6 quarts of diesel fuel or kerosene, running the thing for "x" amount of time, draining the stuff, then adding new oil.
beer
Posted By: TJP

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 04:59 PM

iagree Although their racing oil was good. I tried castrol in a 83 or 5 Mazda as it was on sale and money was tight. Within two oil changes (2500 apart) I could see varnish forming when I took the fill cap off the valve cover. I went back to valvoline and have been using it since twocents popcorn
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 05:34 PM

used Pennzoil in a Chrysler 300, started it up and a ticking noise started right away, drained it out and put in another brand..no more noise...never bought that stuff again at least for my cars.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 05:48 PM

You guys realize that the 80's were 40 years ago?
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 06:06 PM

It's only been asked once, so I'll second it. What were the change intervals on these sludge bombs?
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 07:17 PM

Back in the 90s I heard a lot of stories about Quaker State oil gumming up the works due to having a lot of wax in it or something.
Therefore I avoided it and used Pennzoil in my 5.9 Ram, changed oil and filter every 3000 miles, and never had any issues with the engine. I owned the truck 13 years and it had maybe 105,000 miles when I sold it.
I didn’t do much in the way of short trips in it. I’d hazard a guess that cars used for a lot of short trips that don’t get warmed up fully are a lot more prone to getting sludged up, along with not changing the oil enough, and brand of oil may be a factor but not the main cause of the problem.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 07:38 PM

What if you use a Fram filter along with your Pennzoil or Quaker State oil?

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Breaks the fourth seal of Revelation and unleashes death upon the world. Or so I've been told.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 07:52 PM

What if you put the car on a treadmill before you change the oil?
Posted By: ek3

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 08:35 PM

quaker state ..........i was alive back then and using them all. (paraffin-based) oils loaded with wax. when i saw alaskan t/a's post i laughed. more engines died at the hands of that junk than covid! you could
change that oil every day and it would sludge up whatever you put it in !up

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 09:04 PM

Is Pennzoil and Quaker (the cheap stuff) still paraffin based?
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/22/22 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by MarkZ
Is Pennzoil and Quaker (the cheap stuff) still paraffin based?

I think those problems went away long ago. IIRC, Pennzoil 10w40 had the worst reputation at the time. FWIW, that was the oil I used at the time, I never observed any problems or sludge from it but I'm a bit of a maintenance nut. I have increased the oil change schedule on the newer stuff up to ~2500, 3000 miles so I'm getting a bit less obsessed these days... but now that I work from home the 300 gets an oil change every year whether it needs it or not... wrench laugh2
Posted By: mr_340

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/23/22 02:20 AM

Breaks the fourth seal of Revelation and unleashes death upon the world. Or so I've been told.
LOL!

I know some guys from college that work at SouthWest Research Institute in San Antonio and they are telling me Pennzoil is a top quality oil now. They test oils at SWRI. Another friend used to work at the Mobil oil lab in Dallas and he told me not to use 10W40 as it has a lot of viscosity improvers (VI) in them and they break down to 10W30 pretty quickly.

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/23/22 02:22 AM

laugh2

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/23/22 02:23 AM

laugh2 laugh2 panic ozbbq
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/23/22 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
You guys realize that the 80's were 40 years ago?

work Seems like it wasn't a day over 33 years. laugh2 Damn, I was in my 30's back then. Actually seems like two forevers ago.
Posted By: moparx

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/23/22 05:24 PM

hate to tell you pups, but it seems just like yesterday !
and so do the 60's and 70's ! biggrin
beer
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/24/22 12:29 AM

Yep, it was always quaker state here that did that sort of sludge stuff.
I'm a believer in timely oil changes and also sticking with one brand.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/24/22 01:54 AM

Is the special still on?
Posted By: ek3

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/24/22 01:57 AM

i have owned 4 new rams since 2011.. i put over 150,000 miles on each or more .... . moble 1 extended performance with 1 qt of valvoline 20-50 hi zinc flat tappet oil. never had any issues. i changed the oil @ 15,000 miles always! all 4 have broken exhaust manifold bolts just after the warranty was out ! only 1 had the bad lifter issue and it was over 150k miles and i beat the hell out of it. never added any oil between changes ever!

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/25/22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by GMP440

Is the special still on?

I believe so, it would be on until the store completely runs out
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/25/22 06:09 PM

In all my years of shoppin' at da depot, no matter the store, I can confidently say that they are not expediters at restocking shelves. YMMV.
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: URGENT, This Is No Joke! $1.00 5 QT Oil At Home Depot!! - 01/29/22 01:57 AM

wave Hi Sport Fury , out of the 4 Home Depots near me , Only 1 would Honor the $ 1 per jug . . The other 3 were $ 16.97 . drive Just responding for the other Members per my experience . Still ended up with 4 , up Mabe after this Blizzard they will restock the shelves . snowblow thank you , Ronnie
© 2024 Moparts Forums