Moparts

We have a winner!! Who would have thought!!

Posted By: blewbyu

We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 03:15 AM

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-486955/1986-jeep-grand-wagoneer/
Posted By: BloFish

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 10:52 AM

Not me laugh2
Posted By: wingman

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 01:13 PM

Kinda cool and well done.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 01:28 PM

Fools and there money.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 01:29 PM

Prices are outta control! eekWhen these prices crash,and they will,theres gonna be alot of sad investers twocents.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 01:41 PM

Part of me thinks it would be funny if Bill Gates started going to these auctions along with a portable car crusher in the parking lot. See if these greedy folks could stomach getting there asking price just to see it go straight to the crusher.

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 01:59 PM

Kind of funny. I've been on this site since 2003 and watching the auction shows and reading the magazines since long before that. We have all been talking and wondering about when these "crazy car prices" will crash and forecasting the death of the car hobby.

I guess I'll keep waiting for it to happen but I'm starting to wonder.....

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Part of me thinks it would be funny if Bill Gates started going to these auctions along with a portable car crusher in the parking lot. See if these greedy folks could stomach getting there asking price just to see it go straight to the crusher.

I'm not sure how someone asking for a certain price and someone else agreeing to pay that price is "greedy"? That's how auctions work (and have always worked)--the highest bidder gets the item, and the seller is trying to get the best price he can.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/14/22 02:18 PM

If I got what I wanted, I don't care what the new owner does with it. As I tell wifey all the time, our name isn't on the title any more.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 02:42 AM

I sold my 1963 415 HP M.W stocker, 2 door Belvedere sedan in late 1988 for $11,500.00 which I thought was top dollar. The new owner raced it for one year in the Good Guys Nostalgia SS class and sold it at the end of the year after semi restoring it, it was a original real M.W. SO CA rust free car, for $33,000.00 to a guy back east (Joe Aluise SR) that owned a trucking company that hauled container freight up and down the coast, he had 750 diesel tractors that could haul those containers. His family raced it and added an aluminum front end and bought several high compression legal motors from several of the better east coast Mopar engine builders at that time.
They set the record in A/SA several different times and made that old car fly bow
My point being some people with a lot of money will buy what they like bow up
ONLY in America boogie up twocents
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 04:34 AM

vintage Jeep Grand Wagoneers have been HOT for some time - it's not a coincidence that you can go into a Jeep dealership today & spend north of $100K on a new one
scope like this one for $124K (how many years until woodgrain makes a comeback?)

Attached picture 124 grand wagoneer.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 05:38 AM

There is a company in Colorado that restores and updates these things. They sell for north of $100k and there is a waiting list. A long waiting list.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 05:50 AM

I happened to be at my Chrysler dealer when they got their first Grand Wagoneer. $104K and it was sold before they got it backed off the truck. shock
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 10:57 AM

In like 05-2008 or so you could score a pretty nice Grand Wagoneer for about $5K around here. I remember looking at one in PA that had less than 100K miles on it, original owner, garage kept, looked mint and it was like $4500. I probably would have been smart to grab one back then lol.
Posted By: TJP

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 03:37 PM

There has been a strong interest in them for them for years. i have had several approach me about restoring one. I don't really understand the interest but then I'm sure there are those that don't understand mine wink
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 05:52 PM

Not my style but that was one really nice looking restoration. Kudo's to the people who did it and the new owner should be proud of it.

Still, if I was filthy rich and it was my style, I still do not think I would buy it at that price. Mostly because I feel like I have learned the value of a dollar and that would be a frivolous purchase for my hard earned money.

I have wondered though, how much money would I have to have before $75K and up cars, Ferrari's and Lambo's etc. would become a purchase I could justify as reasonable. I just do not see it happening for me but for everything there is a price.
Posted By: moparx

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 06:09 PM

(how many years until woodgrain makes a comeback?)

you mean "plywood sided" ? laugh2
that's what we called woodgrain stuff way back in the late '60's - early '70's..........we still do today.........
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 06:23 PM

Wow! It is nice but i wouldn't have guessed that kind of money. For that money you'd think it could at least be a three barrel carb laugh
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/15/22 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee

If I got what I wanted, I don't care what the new owner does with it. As I tell wifey all the time, our name isn't on the title any more.

That is really sad. From here, it looks like all you cared about was the cash.
You obviously don't see us as caretakers of these classics.
I think that we are.
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: We have a winner!! Who would have thought!! - 01/18/22 03:52 AM

I happen to really like those things, but...I'd have to swap in a GenIII, because that stock AMC 360 would feel like one hardcore slug after a couple decades driving Hemis, LS's, and Tritons in pickups. Give me a stock 5.7, and I'd drive that sucker anywhere.
© 2024 Moparts Forums