Moparts

Are you watching the Mecum auction?

Posted By: rdrnr6970

Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 12:41 AM

Mecum auction starts tonight are you watching?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 12:52 AM

Not a chance
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Not a chance

I’m sure they are devastated.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by Sniper
Not a chance

I’m sure they are devastated.

And I am sure I don't care either.
Posted By: BH27G1B

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 02:11 AM

I check the results daily and will be going there tomorrow.
Posted By: topside

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 04:29 AM

I record them and then FF through a lot of it.
Seemed to be 1/2 commercials today, but there were a few Mopars.
Some interesting cars to come...
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 11:06 AM

Some ridiculous money paid for some of those cars/trucks last night. I do have to say that it's nice to not listen to the B-J broadcasting crew, though. Also won't miss Steve Davis lecturing the crowd that they haven't bid a car up enough.

I enjoyed hearing Frank Mecum arguing with sellers about removing their reserves.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 01:27 PM

I watched last evening , I enjoy it! I like seeing some of the rare stuff like the 51? burgundy Studebaker . It was cool seeing the black 92 D150 short bed /standard cab , nice truck ! a lot like mine only mines 2WD , you just don't see that many of them... I tend to hold on to my vehicles... my Dart I've had for almost 40 years and my D150 almost 30 as I bought it new, I know life styles change, finances etc. but I look at a lot of the vehicles on there and think " if I owned it I would never sell it ".
Posted By: wingman

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 01:38 PM

If I'm channel surfing and I see Mecum or B-J I always stop to see what's rolling by. What "car guy" doesn't like to look at beautiful cars?

Some of you guys are wound a little too tight and need to relax. If the announcers bug you that much just turn down the volume....

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 01:42 PM

Wound too tight because I prefer this announcer crew to the old one? shruggy I still watched B-J every year. I just happen to prefer Mecum. I find Steve Davis to be obnoxious, but it never kept me from watching.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 01:53 PM

My wife taped it for me last night i was paying bills in my office. eekMy wife enjoys Mecum as much as i do,but she cant handle the bidding guys voice!LOL! drive
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 03:39 PM

I enjoy going to check out the Mecum auctions when near me in fall and I drive down to Indy to see their auction in May.
The one here near Chicago is no great shakes with around 1000 cars, but Indy is pretty incredible with 2000 cars. Kissimmee is even bigger so it must be overwhelming attending it!
You see cars you never see except at museums at their big auctions.
I’ll sometimes take a break when I attend and sit and watch the bidding and stage antics but can only take that for so long. I can check the results later to see what the cars bid up to!
If nothing else, in winter there’s not much better to do than watch the auctions…
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 04:48 PM

I was there on Thursday and watched some good buys and some stupid buys, they always get worse as the day goes along and people imbibe. Lots of nice cars there, and my favorite 69 Dart Swinger of all time is there, I wanted to check it out in Steven Juliano's collection in 2004 but he had just sold it to buy the building his collection was in. Once again I cannot afford it, but got to check it out closely this time! boogie Of course right behind it was the yellow Hemi Dart, I could have stayed in that room all day! But it IS the coolest car show you will ever attend with 3,000 cars of every type good and bad, and I highly recommend going down to Florida in the winter to see it! The car I brought down for a client goes tonight, T193... drive

Attached picture 69 Sswinger show car.jpg
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 05:18 PM

A 1974 318 auto challenger, nothing too special, brought $38,500? Really?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by topside
I record them and then FF through a lot of it.

Me too. FF through MOST of it for me.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 07:18 PM

I just pay the five bucks or whatever for motortrend and see no commercials. Worth every penny to get all that content.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 07:47 PM

In my case, it's not only the commercials I FF through but the endless Corvettes, Tri-Fives and Camaros et all.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
I just pay the five bucks or whatever for motortrend and see no commercials. Worth every penny to get all that content.

I just stream it on the Mecum website...
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/13/22 10:34 PM

$44 grand for a SE 383 2 BBL

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-485556/1971-dodge-charger-super-bee/
Posted By: 65pacecar

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 12:02 AM

Some strong prices, the survivor 70 Bee 383 car pulled big money. Some nice MoPars from a collection will be interesting to watch along with some really rare C1 Corvettes. Loved the 67 Hemi R/T that went for around $110K, nice looking car.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 01:37 AM

Prices are extremely high on alot of cars..67,000 for a 70 AMC machine ouch!
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 01:58 AM

The red with red interior 1968 GTX was a decent buy from what I can see of it

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-486837/1968-plymouth-gtx/
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 02:28 AM

I DVR all of it and watch on line at work when I can! BJ too! I prefer Mecum though.
KID

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 04:02 AM

Darn it, the Challenger Drag Pack car only bid to $150K, haven't got the call to come back down and get it, but I am heading that way anyway this weekend...

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by gtx6970

Missed it. What’d that one go for?

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 05:21 AM

I think that's the most $100K cars - and the most really nice ones - I've seen at a Mecum on Thursday.
Also, the most '69 Z28s I've seen on one night...
Those super-low-mile pickups were amusing; the Dodges did better than I expected.
Really liked the '67 R/T.
Looks like a solid & strong market, especially considering the premium due on top of the winning bid.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 01:34 PM

Prices not withstanding...There have been some nice vehicles this week. up drive
Posted By: Florida_70Bee

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 03:12 PM

The 21,000 mile original 383 70 Super Bee shocked me selling for 100K.

I was thinking it would go for around 75K.
The combination of low miles great color (Plum Crazy) and nice options (bucket seats console automatic) got people to spend the money.

That would have been a great companion in my garage to the red Bee.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 03:14 PM

I think people are snagging up what they can with in many ways our society has a uncertain future and our cars one day will be worth far more on the black market then they are currently, make anything illegal and the price to play goes up.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 04:59 PM

Yes, prices sure seem up there ! Wonder if those with the $$$ have saved because of the pandemic ?? Maybe putting government $$ in the bank ?? . . .

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 05:09 PM

Out of control inflation is a big driver. Put those shrinking in value dollars into a hard asset like a car, house or gold is a wise strategy in this type of environment.
The guys spending the big money on cars probably made too much to qualify for the stimulus handouts so it's doubtful that is where the money is coming from.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 05:58 PM

I am DVRing it as some stuff needs fast forward.
The one real disappoint is the do not have a chassis camera like they had at Barret
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 06:41 PM

I was watching tis morning and the price of 70's trucks were higher than some muscle cars, and those trucks looked stock! shock

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 07:02 PM

Chris Jacobs and a couple other announcers were trying to be funny with their acts and getting immotional while talking/showing the trucks.Nice trucks but there not like some of the other iron running around Mecum.They were annoying.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 09:39 PM

Wow! 69 Daytona 440-4 automatic……..$320,000

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/14/22 09:53 PM

Wow! 69 Daytona 440-4 automatic……..$320,000

With wrong Magnums and tires too.
The V code Superbird after it had the right tires… for the Daytona, and didn’t look too great under hood, but sold for $220K.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

Missed it. What’d that one go for?

And from what I could see that car was well bought. Hopefully a dealer didnt buy it . But my money is one did. Only to be seen here soon at a much higher price . Good color combo

And I saw the 1970 Bee SOLD at over $100k, THATS nuts ,,,,IMO
Posted By: TJP

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 03:46 PM

I watched a few minutes last night and prices do seem outrageous. reminds me of the dot.com bubble where people made millions over night and drove the prices into the stratosphere. But when the money ran out the market came back to reality.
I kind of wonder if this Covid thing might be fueling a similar spike as A LOT of companies and people have an made an astronomical amount of $$, throw the bitcoin thing into the mix and we may be seeing history repeat itself. Time will tell beer
Posted By: moparx

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 05:59 PM

maybe since i had $1269.23 in my charger when it was rebuilt back in late '71 or very early '72, i should hurry up and scoot it down there to sell ! boogie
ah............fer git it.............i guess since it's been around this long, it might as well stick around for a day or ten more. biggrin
beer

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 06:23 PM

Tommy ISO’s from engine dragster from 1970 with a KB hemi just sold for $70,000. If that’s a functional engine that was a bargain!

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 06:38 PM

And Grandpa Munster’s Dragula gets $430,000. That’s NUTS!

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 07:23 PM

Looking forward to the Hirohata Merc. Also, Frank Mecum just told someone “You be quiet” during the F40 auction. argue laugh2

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 07:30 PM

Hirohata gavels at $1.95 million. I don’t see it.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 08:20 PM

Is it on TV Sunday?
Does not come MotorTrend or at least the TV guide does not show it
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 09:31 PM

This is probably the last big hurrah for muscle car prices and old guys flush with cash are giving a final go.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21
This is probably the last big hurrah for muscle car prices and old guys flush with cash are giving a final go.

I’ve been hearing that for over 20 years.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 10:20 PM

Only 20? To hear the forum pundits expert market forecasting, the market should have dried up around the turn of the century and all hemi and wing cars sold for scrap metal and later sold back to us as Toyota’s a generation ago!
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/15/22 11:25 PM

I just want it to be over. whiney
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/16/22 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340

Only 20? To hear the forum pundits expert market forecasting, the market should have dried up around the turn of the century and all hemi and wing cars sold for scrap metal and later sold back to us as Toyota’s a generation ago!

And only the elite full documented Hemi and 6 pack car would be going up in value.

And California was supposed to fall into the ocean too.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/16/22 05:10 AM

I watched more Friday than Saturday. I saw lots of big money being thrown around Friday at 2-3 and again in prime time. Saturday I watched it in the background and the bidding seemed much lighter. Kinda strange.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/16/22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by autoxcuda
Originally Posted by Mastershake340

And only the elite full documented Hemi and 6 pack car would be going up in value.

And California was supposed to fall into the ocean too.

We still have hope about California...
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/16/22 03:46 PM

Any numbers on the S273 1961 conv ? just curious , I didn't think the 61s brought that kind of coin . twocents thanks , Ronnie

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/16/22 04:40 PM

I watched Friday and a lot on Saturday but got bored watching all the Corvettes and " foreign " cars . I like a nice early 60s Vette but after awhile they all seem alike and there were so many of them. The TV coverage seemed a little odd: the 70 Hemi Cuda convertible sold for 2.4 million but they never mentioned it again including when they mentioned the top sellers of the day. They had a reporter out in the staging lanes talking about a 57 Rancharo , I wanted to see it on the block but they never showed it or the early green 59? El Camino that accompanied it, I like these type vehicles and wanted to see them up close on the block. I did see the 70 Black LS6 El Camino ..Wow!! what a sale price! Definite lack of Mopars on Saturday , the 68 Hemi Dart was sort of underwhelming .Although I am a die hard Mopar guy I do like Chevelles and there were some nice ones , the red 70 W30 442 was really nice! All in all it was a fun thing to do watching on a Saturday when its was 17 degrees outside.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/16/22 04:47 PM

They showed the green 59 cross the block.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/16/22 05:12 PM

I must have been on a bathroom or snack break smile
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 04:39 PM

Could someone please provide a link to the 70 383 Bee? Just want to see the car...

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 06:49 PM

Go to mecum.com, click on sold lots, and there's a search feature. It was # T183.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-486909/1970-dodge-super-bee/

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 06:54 PM

Go to mecum.com, click on sold lots, and there's a search feature. It was # T183.

Beautiful car but still hard to believe a 383 automatic Superbee even if perfect would ever be worth $110K!
Posted By: Droop69

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 07:04 PM

The bias towards GM cars makes me want to puke. Just annoyed with the whole TV coverage thing...
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 07:04 PM

"This Super Bee’s factory-applied, original enamel has been metered"

Does anyone know what "METERED" mean ??? shruggy work

I've never heard that term used when describing a cars paint ????? shruggy

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by kidmopar

It’s using an electronic paint thickness gauge/meter to measure thickness. In this context, presumably to determine that it really is original paint without any respray areas.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 07:10 PM

maybe someone found a bare spot next to a painted surface and measured the mil thickness of the paint applied ? shruggy
beer

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 07:12 PM

It’s using an electronic paint thickness gauge/meter to measure thickness. In this context, presumably to determine that it really is original paint without any respray areas.

you are most likely correct sir ! i forgot about those gauges............ spank
beer
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/17/22 09:07 PM

THANK YOU !!!!! bow

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 01:50 AM

Yeah, we call them "mil gauges" - at one time they were spring-loaded & magnetic and resembled a tread-depth gauge.
Hard for me to believe that Bee was original paint - maybe it never saw sunlight ?
IIRC, they didn't say what the mil thickness was...
As far as the GM thing, GM sold many times more cars than Chrysler, so some of that is just reality.
I don't mind that there's more GM than Mopar at auctions, but I admit I FF through most Chevelles, Vettes, exotics, and of course the goofy stuff.

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 03:16 AM

For FC7 to survive 50 years untouched it had to be stored indoors from day one
Posted By: formula_s

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 03:35 AM

Back in the day purple Mopars shed their paint in large chunks. There was a 340 Duster near me that was re-painted black after just 3 years.
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 02:28 PM

Thanks, amazing car - and prize.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 03:00 PM

We need the sheriff from the movie Used Cars,because these price are too fu*kin high! Someone needs to be really blowing the sh*t out of high prices! Lol!

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 05:02 PM

No kidding !!! . . ..OMG, Chev 1/2 ton, 4wd short box trucks going at $100K ?!?!?! WT . . ?!?!?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu8wssjb3CA

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 05:55 PM

When these prices CRASH!And i believe they will these cars/trucks will be more affordable for the rest of us. up twocents

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by chargervert
We need the sheriff from the movie Used Cars,because these price are too fu*kin high! Someone needs to be really blowing the sh*t out of high prices! Lol!

"Look out Sheriff Lucky ! It's High Prices !" ..............KABOOOMM !!!!!! ...................."Well we sure blew the $hit out of that motherfu*er !!!"
"Come on down to New Deal Used Cars, where we blow the $hit out of High Prices !"
beer
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/18/22 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by rdrnr6970
Mecum auction starts tonight are you watching?

Nope, just makes me wish I had kept some back in the 70's when we'd buy them cheap, run the xxxx out of them, sell them even cheaper and repeat as needed.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/19/22 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by chargervert

"Look out Sheriff Lucky ! It's High Prices !" ..............KABOOOMM !!!!!! ...................."Well we sure blew the $hit out of that motherfu*er !!!"
"Come on down to New Deal Used Cars, where we blow the $hit out of High Prices !"
beer

laugh2 laugh2 laugh2
That movie was a classic. I love the opening scene with Kurt Russel
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/21/22 10:56 PM

For FC7 to survive 50 years untouched it had to be stored indoors from day one

+1
extremly difficult to find one

Carsten

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/21/22 11:16 PM

No doubt ! My Sport Satellite sat outside in a field from 1986 (ish) until I got it in 2001 . . . the paint was "burnt" off the exposed parts of the car (hood, trunk lid, top of fenders & quarters) . . . only place paint looked like great FC7, was in trunk, or under the carpet inside the car . . .

Attached picture Car at Dale's place.jpg
Posted By: McCandlessboy

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/22/22 04:33 PM

Huge misconception by people who aren't actually seeing who is buying cars. It's not "old guys".

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/22/22 05:55 PM

Hey hows it going?So your saying maybe younger people with money,wanting the cars and are willing to pay ,to me seems.... 2 to 3 times what the cars are worth?That who ever it is thinking man..I got to have that car now!I feel that way too..only difference is my wife and i dont have the money!Lol!
Posted By: A12

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/22/22 06:06 PM

What did this Lot F214 Bahama Yellow A12 Road Runner with the road wheels go for?

Attached picture ha0416-241802_1@2x.jpg
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/22/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by McCandlessboy

Huge misconception by people who aren't actually seeing who is buying cars. It's not "old guys".

Does this include private sales or just the auction crowd?

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/22/22 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by A12
What did this Lot F214 Bahama Yellow A12 Road Runner with the road wheels go for?

$110,000
Posted By: A12

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/22/22 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by A12

$110,000

shock

Thanks Bill

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/23/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by MarkZ
Originally Posted by McCandlessboy

Does this include private sales or just the auction crowd?

Can't speak to private sales, minus the area I collect 55-61 mopars. I know more collectors under 60 than over 60 with significant collections of the era I collect. Watch the guys signing slips on the big cars, these aren't geriatrics.

I own an auction business that sells high end rare and high condition automobila. Everyone thinks it's an industry filled with old people, it's not. Each auction we have a sign get over 100k. Not uncommon for us to average 5-10k per piece in an auction. There is a lot of money under 60 that actively buys big in all areas.
Posted By: 1969ronnie

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/23/22 02:27 AM

Hi McCandless , Did the 1961 Conv sell yet Lot # S273 ? Did you get to check it out ? wave thanks Mike , Ronnie

Re: Are you watching the Mecum auction? - 01/23/22 01:45 PM

Was Covid positive so stayed home. I was back up on the 61 imperial, sold 115 pre fee's. I won the 59 imperial convertible.
© 2024 Moparts Forums