Moparts

How about an auction section here on Moparts?

Posted By: DaveRS23

How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 03:43 PM

Pretty much everybody here is unhappy with ebag and their new policies. Bring A Trailer and RacingJunk are not catching a lot of Mopars and are primarily for vehicles. So would an auction section here on Moparts meet with success? Vehicles and parts. I have quite a few parts that I don't really know what they're worth. I used to take them to Monster Mopars in St Louis. But now I don't have anyplace close enough to make the effort worthwhile so I haven't sold anything the last few years.

What are your thoughts?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 04:08 PM

Tom could run it in his spare time. Lol. What do you think Tom???
Posted By: Sniper

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 04:28 PM

I generally tend to avoid any situation where money is involved. Someone will get stupid about something when money is involved then will expect the site owner to deal with it, that's not worth the aggravation to me.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 04:31 PM

Determine something’s value and list it at that price.
Good chance someone here will buy it, I’ve had pretty good luck over the years with the odds and ends I’ve listed here and on an E body site. up
I know this subject ties in with the post about what a mess eBay has become, but this isn’t the place that could step up and replace it.
Mopar sites are great for finding homes for my extra Mopar parts, what I need a site like the eBay of 10 years ago is to list all my non Mopar clutter on that I used to sell there. Stuff like die cast cars and trucks, model trains, aviation stuff, non Mopar parts. Things that are too valuable to toss but now no good place exists to sell.
Even if Moparts started auctions, my pilot headsets and Lincoln service manuals won’t be welcome here
Posted By: tboomer

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 04:33 PM

Imagine trying to collect from a deadbeat bidder. I think an auction site here would be a pita to monitor and control. wave
Posted By: Neil

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 06:18 PM

Could have a what's it worth/make offer section, and the seller/buyer sort it out on their own?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 08:19 PM

Already have a good sized for sale and wanted section.
Posted By: Neil

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 09:08 PM

Yes, but the prices have to be part of the ad or it gets axed. A wiw/make offer type section could be used to determine fair and realistic prices for some oddball stuff. I don't see it being super popular as most things people know what they want out of them.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 09:11 PM

Check the classified section. Maybe not as sexy as an overhyped TV auction, but it works.
Posted By: topside

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/02/22 11:30 PM

I think the existing Ebay/CL/etc section and Classifieds are enough for Tom & the Mods to handle.
The way I see it, if I have something for sale and I get a reasonable offer, I'm OK.
The occasional goofball that offers 1/2 the going rate, I can ignore.
Either way, it's a comparatively small audience here, and the volume of eyeballs is the appeal of a worldwide auction site.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/03/22 12:27 AM

Can't even imagine the chaos. nervous
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/03/22 12:41 AM

I'm in for a solid NO, and I have 200,000 parts and 20 vehicles I have to get rid of before the end of spring... runaway
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/03/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Determine something’s value and list it at that price.

iagree Even though I purchase a lot of stuff from E-bay, I only do BIN, never bid.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/03/22 07:42 PM

So what would be the advantage of an auction? So people who don't know the value of their stuff when they sell it get the most possible? I see what happens in the classifieds now when multiple people jump on a posting at a posted price and then the arguing starts over who claimed it first. Even if this were not the case, just trying to keep track of the bids, who is currently high bidder, how much, reserve, and on and on. A real PITA in my opinion.

There are times with the current classifieds when I've offered something other than what the seller wants. With one exception, typically they've accepted, countered, or declined graciously. So I see no advantage from a buyer's perspective to change.

twocents
Posted By: poorboy

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/04/22 01:12 AM

I'm with the people in the firm NO group.

I think this venue is too small for an auction set up to work, without even considering all the BS that goes with auction sites. Most auction sites turn to crap because of greed, the greed of the sellers, the greed of the buyers (trying to get the best deal so they can relist it and make money), and the site holders greed. Let the auction sites deal with the mess., we don't need it here.
Posted By: moparts

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/04/22 02:13 AM

No from me also whistling

I hate bidding on things , I always do the buy it now

When Moparts first was set up it was so “we” didn’t have to bid on things

On selling I always give the first to contact me the first chance to buy
Posted By: fastmark

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/04/22 10:29 AM

Yep. A big NO from me as well. It would not be long before we had the same problems they are complaining on eBay about. Let it be. Don’t change a thing.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/04/22 03:14 PM

I guess that making my living through auto auctions over the years has given me a more favorable impression of auctions in general. But I do see both sides of it. Auctions certainly have their draw backs. Particularly in this kind of venue. Buying or passing on a particular item at a set price is much easier and less complicated than bidding at auction.

It's just that I constantly see the surprises at the auto auctions. With all the resources available for evaluation, individual vehicles frequently bring money outside those evaluations. There is no doubt that many items listed at auction in a forum such as this would bring significantly different money than ones with a set price by the seller. Some more, some less.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/05/22 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I'm in for a solid NO, and I have 200,000 parts and 20 vehicles I have to get rid of before the end of spring... runaway

How do you sell 200,000 parts in a few months? Liquidate large amounts to a few large Mopar buyers?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/06/22 01:12 AM

Guys on this site are so far into the weeds on these cars that they already have what they need. Few would be in the market, you need several people involved to get bidding going as well as any seller will want. There simply isn’t enough traffic here to support it anymore either. Maybe 10-15 years ago. Look at how few classifieds there have been on here the last few years. Way down from peaks of years gone by.

Most or all on here will pick a car to pieces down to the last detail and aren’t going to buy something unless it’s a screaming deal. I still see people gripe about even five measly dollars to list on Craigslist now. Can’t imagine Tom could charge much at all to cover the hassle factory an auction would create.

It all adds up to not working out.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/06/22 07:48 PM

No from me also.
I think if we had an auction section here there wouldn't be enough people regularely watching it to get any decent bids. You'd probably have to start with a minimum bid price and at that point you might as well list something for sale for whatever you want for it.

It could be good tho for stuff that people really don't want much for if there was some way of enforcing the bidders. Every time I see something listed with no price and best offer I never bother contacting because 99.9999999% of the time that person has a price in mind and it's usually going to be more then a lot of people would want to pay.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: How about an auction section here on Moparts? - 01/07/22 04:02 PM

Probably not here I've bid on Mecum before but I like how things are here.
© 2024 Moparts Forums