Moparts

Entered the side by side theater….

Posted By: J_BODY

Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 04:39 AM

Bought a RZR XP4 1000…. What a fun toy! Been on a few treks into the desert. Crazy how smooth it rides. I think I’m hooked!
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 12:04 PM

Yep. If you got the money and a place to ride nearby, they're awesome. Some states they're road legal (with mods).We got none of that here. I did recently buy a late model Mule to maintain my property.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 12:44 PM

Eh...my buddy bought one. Every chance I get to use it, I refuse and use the old quadrunner. The damn things DESTROY roads and trails. He has his on his hunting property and it is just tearing up the roads. To me, they are an incredibly expensive waste of time. I looked at the new Yamaha...STARTS at $23K. LOL No Way

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 01:37 PM

Yeah we can street drive them…. Literally have thousands of miles of desert trails at our doorstep. Very popular here. We had a pair of quads a few years back but sold them. They’d really beat you up. The trails for the most part are not smooth in these parts.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 01:43 PM

I have a 2020 Polaris Northstar and love it.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 03:36 PM

You can drive them on the street here , couple local trails .. extremely popular year round

Can't hide money
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 04:58 PM

I have a Honda P1000 and love it. A great multi purpose machine.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/17/21 05:33 PM

Neat Jay, wife and I after not really doing anything (fun) for 15ish yrs bought a 20 turbo s this yr. We have dunes and desert and trails close. Been the most fun we’ve ever had. I knew this but just refrained for yrs. We like to ride into all the old ghost towns and old mining towns etc etc.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 12/19/21 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by justinp61
I have a Honda P1000 and love it. A great multi purpose machine.

…..my #1 crew helper has a Honda Pioneer, think it’s a 19. Nice ride and we’ve already been riding with them once. Like Ryan it’s something my wife and I both enjoy so it’s a win win. We were looking at new Honda Talons as well as the newer RZR. Both are tough to find right now so when a nicely equipped low hour 17 came up for sale in Lake Havasu we jumped on it. As clean as the guys garage and watercraft were I knew we were at the right place smile
Posted By: Cheeto

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldjonny
... The damn things DESTROY roads and trails. He has his on his hunting property and it is just tearing up the roads. To me, they are an incredibly expensive waste of time. I looked at the new Yamaha...STARTS at $23K. LOL No Way

DESTROY the roads...no, the driver destroys the roads. No different than a quadracer/dirt bike/dumby in a beater Chevy.
Incredibly expensive waste of time...how many people say that about our Mopar hobby?
New Yamaha starts at $23k...depends on the model. Most reputable manufacturers have a model starting around $13k.
Bought my first in 2007 when my back couldn't take riding quads anymore...never looked back. Had probably 15+ go through my hands since. I buy them wrecked and rebuild them. Current stable is 4 running/driving and 2 waiting their turn in the shop.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cheeto
... The damn things DESTROY roads and trails. He has his on his hunting property and it is just tearing up the roads. To me, they are an incredibly expensive waste of time. I looked at the new Yamaha...STARTS at $23K. LOL No Way

DESTROY the roads...no, the driver destroys the roads. No different than a quadracer/dirt bike/dumby in a beater Chevy.
Incredibly expensive waste of time...how many people say that about our Mopar hobby?
New Yamaha starts at $23k...depends on the model. Most reputable manufacturers have a model starting around $13k.
Bought my first in 2007 when my back couldn't take riding quads anymore...never looked back. Had probably 15+ go through my hands since. I buy them wrecked and rebuild them. Current stable is 4 running/driving and 2 waiting their turn in the shop.

My buddy is 62 and drives his on his hunting property. Its not him...its the weight of these things on the skinny tires that just tears up the roads. I stand by my comment and will personally never own own.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 01:44 PM

Most reputable manufacturers have a model starting around $13k.

You can get a flat fender jeep for way less.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 02:51 PM

No politics in the general forum!! tsk

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 04:51 PM

[quote=Cheeto][quote=oldjonny]...

My buddy is 62 and drives his on his hunting property. Its not him...its the weight of these things on the skinny tires that just tears up the roads. I stand by my comment and will personally never own own.

I'm younger and drive mine on our property and on the forest roads in the area. My trails are fine, the forest roads are getting torn up. I also stand by my comment. If you'd like to civilly discuss what may be happening with your buddy's machine/terrain I'd be happy to but if you're going to insinuate that anybody that disagrees with you is taking a "500mg Doosh-Bag pill" then I refer you to your own signature and politely decline.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

True, same with a Geo Tracker (have one), golf cart or a riding mower. Apples to bananas comparison. They are both fruits and you can eat them but the similarities pretty much stop there. Ground clearance, suspension travel, ride quality, power-to-weight ratio, trail access, etc are all going to be different. Intended use/budget/expectations will dictate which is best for each individual.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 05:21 PM

[quote=Cheeto][quote=oldjonny]...

I'm younger and drive mine on our property and on the forest roads in the area. My trails are fine, the forest roads are getting torn up. I also stand by my comment. If you'd like to civilly discuss what may be happening with your buddy's machine/terrain I'd be happy to but if you're going to insinuate that anybody that disagrees with you is taking a "500mg Doosh-Bag pill" then I refer you to your own signature and politely decline.

LOL. No arguing. Don't care. See below
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 05:30 PM

Bull Crap. I am 68 and have 285 acres with miles of trails. My 2020 Polaris Northstar does not tear up the trails or yards compared to my ATV'S The ATV'S are locked rear and scuff a lot more than my side by side. The side by side has traction control modes. Normal running open rear, tougher driving you can lock the rear and of course 4wd. Most driving all that is needed is the open rear mode which is 3 times less aggressive than either ATV.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 05:58 PM

After having 4 wheelers (quads for you northerners) for years, I got an old 2003 Polaris Ranger side by side a while back and I love it. Great for working around the property. This is more of a utility type vehicle w/ a dump bed. I ride all over the place w/ my 2 little girls and it's been great.
I still have my 1988 Honda 300 fourtrax in the barn that I've had since I was 9 years old.

As far as tearing up the trails, land, etc. That's not due to the weight of the side by side. Anything w/ real aggressive tires, decent power, and a driver that uses it will tear up the dirt. I ride all over the trails here that we share w/ locals on their big lifted 4 wheelers w/ tractor style tires and those things dig up everything.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 06:26 PM

True, same with a Geo Tracker (have one), golf cart or a riding mower. Apples to bananas comparison. They are both fruits and you can eat them but the similarities pretty much stop there. Ground clearance, suspension travel, ride quality, power-to-weight ratio, trail access, etc are all going to be different. Intended use/budget/expectations will dictate which is best for each individual.

So what your saying is that even though a tomato is a fruit, a bloody mary isn't a fruit smoothie?
Buzzkill. laugh2

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 06:35 PM

[quote=Cheeto][quote=oldjonny][quote=Cheeto][quote=oldjonny]...

... See below

I did and clearly referred you to your own signature in my response.
Seems there's been significant editing done on this thread recently. I distinctly recall you complaining about somebody else's reading abilities. Pot meet kettle.
Regardless, we disagree and seem to not be able to discuss it further so I wish you good day sir. wave
Posted By: Neil

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 07:20 PM

I see those things in traffic on trailers so people are buying them. The off road parks here have hills with trail sections that are so steep and sketchy you have to have a motorcycle to get up and down them. A side by side would lock you out of a lot of the trail system by default just because they are too wide. If you drove way up into the mountains you can drive them on the forest service roads, which is likely what the people here are doing with them.

Idea of what it's like here on one of the trail riding areas.

https://youtu.be/BqwTxKKbGFs

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 07:21 PM

No Politics in the general forum! tsk
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
I got an old 2003 Polaris Ranger side by side a while back and I love it. Great for working around the property. This is more of a utility type vehicle w/ a dump bed. I ride all over the place w/ my 2 little girls and it's been great.

How does a guy your size even fit into one of those? Take the roof off?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
I got an old 2003 Polaris Ranger side by side a while back and I love it. Great for working around the property. This is more of a utility type vehicle w/ a dump bed. I ride all over the place w/ my 2 little girls and it's been great.

How does a guy your size even fit into one of those? Take the roof off?

LOL, it has a lot of headroom. It isn't one of the sporty "laid back" style seating side by sides.
This is my dad sitting in it. He's 6'3" tall, shorter than me, but not a whole lot.

Attached picture aa.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 09:19 PM

We have a Kawasaki Mule similar to that, lots of headroom. Ours is a tool for around the farm, not a toy, it will however go just about anywhere. Some are legal for the street here, but people even drive the ones that aren't everywhere.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/14/22 09:21 PM

I have and use a 250 quad but if I ever get old I might update and get one of those fancy ones like Jay.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/15/22 01:01 AM

You get more with the Jeep, unless your goal is to just tear things up.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/15/22 01:23 AM

My P1000 doesn't tear the yard up or anything on the farm, I guess if the differential was always locked in it would. If you're not smart enough to use it like it was designed, walk.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/15/22 02:21 AM

Please elaborate on what you consider "more".

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 01:08 AM

No kidding! We off road a 96XJ. I could make it ride like our RZR, but would probably cost as much to mod as our purchase price laugh2
….btw after a spring upgrade I don’t feel these “rough trails” you speak of smile

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 01:20 AM

Everywhere the Jeep is street legal, for one.

If you are riding trails and doing general farm/ranch work you don't need a $13k side by side do you?

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 01:40 AM

If you are riding trails and doing general farm/ranch work you don't need a $13k side by side do you?

Define need. We don’t “need” our beloved Mopar muscle cars either, but most on here have one.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 02:04 AM

….actually we’re street legal here in good ole America! (AZ) just have to stay off the freeways

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 08:38 AM

The Jeep is street legal as mentioned but it's also filled with 50 year old technology, uncomfortable seats (admittedly subjective), a buckboard wagon ride etc.
The golf cart is legal on the street in some areas and can be used to play 18 holes.
The riding mower would technically meet the "25 mph max" limits some places have on what can be used around town and it can mow your lawn.
Every one of them can go down a "trail"...unless your trails have a width limit. tsk

All have their strengths and weaknesses. What's right for you may not be right for the next guy...it doesn't make either of you wrong.

"Tearing things up" and the price point has been covered.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
….actually we’re street legal here in good ole America! (AZ) just have to stay off the freeways

Do you not grasp the word EVERYWHERE? More to America than AZ.

Don't like the seats in a Jeep? Get different ones, still well under $13.

Define need. We don’t “need” our beloved Mopar muscle cars either, but most on here have one.

You never learned the difference between need and want? Tell you what I told my kids growing up, crap in one hand, want in the other and see which fills up first.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 01:54 PM

Way to go Jay... LOL!
Posted By: moparx

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 04:42 PM

around here, all of the above mentioned vehicles will get you a DUI no matter where they are operated, if you are stopped by the LEO.
beer [DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE ! tsk]

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY

Do you not grasp the word EVERYWHERE? More to America than AZ.

You never learned the difference between need and want? Tell you what I told my kids growing up, crap in one hand, want in the other and see which fills up first.

Do you own a Mopar? I guess you "need" a Jeep, or did you fill your hand up?

As mentioned, I have a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 and wouldn't trade it for two Jeeps if I had to keep them. Been there and done that.

BTW, when did "need" come into this thread? J_Body posted that he bought a new RZR, nothing about "needing it". There is no "need" for any of the toys we have, that's why it's called a hobby.

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 07:40 PM

What a stunning single-response rebuttal to a multi-pointed statement. I think it's time for me to take oldjoynny's advice. work
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 08:41 PM

I live on a mountain pass where people trailer their sxs in everyday to wheel. I explore the mountains in my Jeep Rubicon. I find it amazing what those sxs cost, but they’re toys, and toys are expensive. Snowmobiles too. To each their own.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/16/22 09:40 PM

I have a pretty heavily modified Jeep XJ on 35s I used to wheel alot. The sxs really changed the game around here(to me). They haul ass on the off road trails and they shoot past us slow jeep guys and spray rocks everywhere. A lot of them had big stereos also so everyone could listen to their music lol. It took the fun out of the area I used to wheel at and that was in 2013, I could only imagine there is 5x as many now. I can't fault them, they look awesome and like they are a ton of fun, but mixing with jeeps on the same trails didn't work for me. I haven't been wheeling since really, I was trending out of that hobby anyways because I was getting back into drag racing it is no fault of the sxs guys. Hell if I was still into off roading like I was I am sure I would have one by now!
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/17/22 03:13 AM

[i][/i]Jay. I just purchased a 2016 900s Polaris. Let's get together up here in Yarnell and explore. Most of the comments on this thread is why I do not post often. Everyone is too combative and political. Ease up folks, the sky is not falling!

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/17/22 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by mopacltd
[i][/i]Jay. I just purchased a 2016 900s Polaris. Let's get together up here in Yarnell and explore. Most of the comments on this thread is why I do not post often. Everyone is too combative and political. Ease up folks, the sky is not falling!

That would be cool Chuck! I know there’s a bunch of great trails around Wickenburgh too. I need to come up with some spare rear wheels to get it in the trailer smile
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Entered the side by side theater…. - 02/17/22 04:59 PM

Just let me know
© 2024 Moparts Forums