Moparts

Thoughts on home office color laser printers?

Posted By: Cometstorm

Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 12:03 AM

Do you have one?

These inkjets are driving me CRAZY on maintenance. I have:

HP Laserjet 1320 which I've had for many years. Works great, and toner lasts a LONG time. It is super fast printing, but monochome (black and white).; No Scanner.

HP Envy Photo 7855,. Has scanner. Works fine for now.

Epson Workforce 845 with scanner. This has been driving me NUTS lately. Did the printhead clean (both software, and manual injector clean). Still prints like crap. Even replaced all the ink cartridges. Followed manly YT videos to no avail.

I'm thinking of tossing the Epson out, and getting some type of Laser Color Printer. They have come down in price quite a bit. I know there's a lot of give and take.

Those laser toners (color) are EXPENSIVE BIG TIME. But, they last practically forever. Around $300 for both black and color.

These dried out ink jet clogs are really a pain tho too. Around $100 for much less time, and much head banging on maintenance.

Especially if you're not a frequernt print user.

What say you?

Any color laser printer owners out there? What did you buy, and what are your thoughts?

wave
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 01:53 AM

Have you done a head soak/wet cap* on the Epson with Windex (that has ammonia)? We do a lot of sublimation, and occasionally have to soak the head to clear any clogs. I did get a couple used printers that the heads are clogged on though, and need replaced.

*Do a nozzle check, and while the head is on the left side, squirt some windex in the capping station (we have a syringe with some tubing to do this). Wait half an hour, and do a head clean, then test it again.

Otherwise, we're looking for a color laser printer too. work
Posted By: TJP

Re: Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 02:23 AM

My most recent purchase was an HP Laser that could not print the colors correctly, After 5 days of Circle jerking with HP they blamed it on Windows yet the previous HP unit was fine. I finally got in touch with a lady at MS that proved it was not a windows problem. I exchanged the HP for Canon and the color problem vaporized twocents beer popcorn
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 02:26 AM

We got sick of inkjets as well, we don't print much and pretty infrequently. I picked a HP Color LaserJet MFP M283fdw, really nice, fast, duplex prints by default. The software that runs it (control screen too) seems no different than the 15 year old officejet 8650? We use(d) both wirelessly, on the rare occasions we use it, it always seems to be offline even though it shows to be online. Restarting the printer (like the old one) always fixes it. Connecting it to the network always seems sketchy, always seems to take several tries and or have to resort to pushing the connect button on the router. If I used it wired with Windows print sharing (for our workgroup) it'd probably be perfect? shruggy Not going to bother to try it.

Knowing what I know now I think I'd look into Brother printers?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 03:40 PM

I'm in the same boat. Have a Brother MFC-J615 all-in-one inkjet. Constant battle with ink. If you don't use the Brother ink cartridges, the head plugs up. I bought a flushing kit from Amazon and it worked real well...for a while. And then it was back to the same old crap, it wouldn't print color correctly. What is puzzling to me is that it will always print black but the colors....not so good.

So I'm also in the market for a home laser all-in-one. Those I have talked to say stay away from HP. Their printers are hit and miss. Have gotten a couple recommendations for Cannon but I'm still looking.
Posted By: topside

Re: Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 04:35 PM

I've had an HP Envy Photo 7155 for many years, and it's been fine.
Takes 2 cartridges, which last me months (obviously YMMV), roundabout $35-$40 a set on Ebay, a bit more at WalMart.
It's been bulletproof, and better in every way than the previous Epson.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 04:59 PM

We currently have several HP Laserjet M750's. They are reasonably dependable but the color quality is far less than it should be. In fact for photo's or full color sheets, it stinks.

We replaced Konica Minolta's with the HP's we have now.

The Konika's all printed fast but didn't have a slow function or an overheat pause in them. They would print until they overheated and started tracking prints across several sheets if you did full color. The HP's will pause every so many full color sheets to let the system cool down a little and so they print more dependably. The Konika's one by one died with a fan error for a fan that did not exist inside the machine. I replaced all the fans in the machines, and the error wouldn't go away. I called in a service tech from Konika and he said the same thing I said. There is no fan to correspond to the error it was throwing so he couldn't fix it.

Epson will not sell parts to individuals and you have to go to service center for parts so we won't buy them again.

Canon used to be a good printer but I have not bought one in years.

Just my experience.

Hope it helps.
Posted By: Cometstorm

Re: Thoughts on home office color laser printers? - 12/09/21 07:29 PM

Thanks all! up

Knock on wood, I got my Epson 845 printing like a champ again, even full page photos.

I’ve read that when doing a full syringe/cleaner inject process. It “may” take several days to clear the jets adequately.

This is what I use:

CoYlBod Inkjet Printers Printhead Cleaning kit for Epson Workforce 325 323 320 845 840 645 635 633 630 545 435 60-3.4oz 100ml Nozzle Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085GBSF1...JF7PKRXSMRBV2YG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m glad to not be pursuing the “color laser” route.

They came down nicely in price, but the color toner costs are astronomical.

Also, after reading tons of reviews, it appears they are no match to inkjets on quality photo printing.

I’ve also learned to print a full color photo AT LEAST once a month to keep things primed and moist (inkjet printers).

I’ve been quilty of just letting it sit idle for months.

© 2024 Moparts Forums