Moparts

Road runner plate...ever seen one of these?

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/01/21 05:04 PM

This plate was on a road runner my uncle recently bought. Obviously really old. My uncle thinks it was a dealership item from back in the day?
Anyone ever seen one of these before? I thought it was cool so I saved it for wall art in my shop.

Attached picture RR Plate.jpg
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/01/21 05:14 PM

Looks like someone painted an old rusted piece of sheet metal. Can you see rust under the paint?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/02/21 12:53 AM

Back when the Road Runners were first produced, there were a lot of those custom painted plates available, until WB started enforcing their copyright. After about 1970, the painted, noncopyrighted versions of the RR birds were pretty hard to come by. Some air brushed stuff was still done at car shows and such, but otherwise, not so much.

I suspect the plate in the picture was something produced before WB clamped down. Its nearly rusted away because no one back then thought any of this stuff would be worth anything in 20+ years. The back side was probably never painted. Gene
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/02/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorDiff
Looks like someone painted an old rusted piece of sheet metal. Can you see rust under the paint?
iagree
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/02/21 04:01 AM

Yeah, someone painted that. Trying to think when license plates went from steel to aluminum? Wall hanger for sure.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/02/21 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by DoctorDiff

Actually yes...somewhat. But paint paint is a rust inhibitor, so realistically it should protect metals from the elements.
Regardless of its history, relevance or blah, I don't think it was painted "recently."
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/02/21 01:20 PM

The paint shows better in the picture than it actually is. Way better...it was definitely painted a long time ago.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Road runner plate...ever seen one of these? - 12/02/21 04:02 PM

It's definitely cool garage art. up
© 2024 Moparts Forums