Moparts

Any Woodworkers on here?

Posted By: burdar

Any Woodworkers on here? - 10/28/21 05:40 PM

I'm going to make a growth height chart for my daughter just like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Back40Life-Wooden-Growth-Chart-Establishment/dp/B08DDFTZ77?th=1

I already have the stencils and my dad has a nice piece of dark walnut I can use. I'm not sure how to finish the walnut or if I should just leave it natural. Obviously it will be permanently inside. If I lacquer the piece after the stenciling is done, I'm afraid the white paint will turn yellow over time. If I lacquer it first, will the stenciling stick on top of it? I thought about just applying a finishing wax over it, which I think will look nice... but will I still be able to write on it with a Sharpie every year or will the wax not let anything stick to the surface? shruggy
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: Any Woodworkers on here? - 10/29/21 02:32 AM

Try linseed oil or Watco Danish oil finish
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Any Woodworkers on here? - 10/29/21 03:07 AM

You can use all kinds of finish on walnut. Do a test piece with the different finishes and sheens and see which one you prefer. I prefer a satin finish on walnut
Posted By: burdar

Re: Any Woodworkers on here? - 10/29/21 12:29 PM

Try linseed oil or Watco Danish oil finish

So I can apply the Danish oil after the stenciling and once it's dry, I'll be able to write on the wood?
Posted By: wingman

Re: Any Woodworkers on here? - 10/29/21 04:16 PM

I would paint the stencil it first, then go over everything with a couple coats of poly. Whatever gloss level you like. Easy peasy.

Once the poly cures you can write on it with a sharpie no problem.

Any clear finish can yellow a little given enough time, but poly is going to be much more stable than most. And most "natural" oils like linseed, danish, and tung oils never really fully cure 100% so I would be worried about your future sharpie marks bleeding into the wood grain. twocents
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Any Woodworkers on here? - 10/29/21 05:15 PM

Clear/natural Oil finishes are actually amber colored. There are water based finishes that are white when you put them on but they turn clear as they dry.
© 2024 Moparts Forums