New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 03:11 AM

cool old pic

Attached picture newprocess.jpg
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 03:33 AM

Cool pic what is it dated as?
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 04:24 AM

Lot of aerodynamics went into that Cab! I remember a scale model of that was offer by way of the parts department.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by SALEM1912
Lot of aerodynamics went into that Cab! I remember a scale model of that was offer by way of the parts department.

Yep, the much ridiculed "barn door" principle.
Posted By: moparx

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 03:17 PM

that IS a neat picture ! thanks for sharing Dad. up
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 06:30 PM

A great picture that makes me want to go back in time
Posted By: 360view

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by SALEM1912
Lot of aerodynamics went into that Cab! I remember a scale model of that was offered by way of the parts department.

If you zoom in on the picture it does have
those two left/right curved wind guide deflectors at the (very) sharp front windshield corners,
so that cab-over did see at least some wind tunnel time....

How did that weird pre-1986 Fed rule about maximum vehicle weight on an Interstate Highway bridge read
- the one that encouraged the extremely short cab-over tractor?

https://nodum.org/why-semi-trucks-in-us-and-europe-are-so-different/

sample quote

Maximum length of a truck with a semi-trailer in Europe is 18.75 meters. Some countries have some exceptions, but generally that is the rule. In order to use the maximum of this length for the cargo the tractor unit has to be as short as possible. The best way to achieve that is to mount the cabin over the engine.

Similar requirements in US have been revoked back in 1986 and trucks now can be much longer. Actually, back in the day cab-over trucks were quite popular in US, but without strict limitations roomier and more convenient to live with conventional design trucks prevailed. The number of cab-over trucks in US is constantly declining.

Another reason is speed. In Europe Semi-trucks are limited to 90 km/h, but in some places in US trucks reach 129 and even 137 km/h. That is where better aerodynamics and longer wheel base help a lot.

Finally, roads in US and Europe are very different as well. Cities in US have wide streets and interstate highways are very straight and wide. In Europe trucks have to deal with narrow streets, winding country roads and cramped parking spaces. Lack of space limitations allowed Australia to use conventional cab trucks too. That is also why Australian highways feature well-known road trains – extremely long distances and straight roads allow semi-trucks to pull up to four trailers.

end quote
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 09:21 PM

The funny thing is I used to drive an Old Cab Over almost like that. As a young man, I worked at a hardware distributor and loaded pallets of orders and trucks. One day they needed someone to move a fully loaded trailer and back in an empty one. The guy was off at lunch etc. That asked can anyone drive that damm truck out the way, and I said I could and no one else said yes.
So I had it easier after that as part-time doing it over the heavy work. Goo think I learned to drive in a car and truck both that had a 3 on the tree power nothing and straight sixes
But I always thought when I got in the old retired now yard truck how crazy it must be to be on the open road with nothing between you and something you may hit.

A few years later after I was working installing ceramic and wood I was at a distributor that had a wrecked truck in the yard Newer Cab Over that the driver ran deep into the woods in the interstate when he fell asleep. Looked like the trees stopped it WOW! The warehouse guy said he's hurt bad............
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/23/21 11:37 PM

Yeah, I never cared for being first to arrive at the scene of the crash.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/24/21 12:36 AM

Nice, thanks for sharing this. wink
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: New Process plant + Dodge - 10/24/21 01:06 AM

That"s the old syracuse ny plant still is used I think mostly for wharehousing,went past their many times on the thruway.
© 2024 Moparts Forums