Moparts

Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80

Posted By: kwhmopar1

Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/24/21 06:32 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-dead-80
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/24/21 06:34 PM

Yet Keith Richards is still alive and well.
RIP Charlie angel
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/24/21 06:39 PM

What a shame...Charlie was an icon in the rock n roll world of drummers. R.I.P. angel
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/24/21 08:26 PM

He was the only member of that band who seemed to be living on this planet.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/24/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Yet Keith Richards is still alive and well.
RIP Charlie angel

Wait....are you saying that Keith Richards IS alive? He has looked beyond dead for way too many years. I always thought it was an animated version of Weekend at Bernies.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/25/21 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee

From what I read today, perhaps the most normal Rock and Roller of all time. Married for 57 or 58 years. Seems like Rock wasn't his first choice, either. More like a way to make money so he could play around with jazz. What is most amazing is how the three of them (Keith, Mick, and Charlie) is how they stuck together for all these years without ego getting in the way and doing "side" projects without destroying the band. I have the utmost respect for those guys for that reason alone (and I'm not really a big Stones fan).
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/25/21 05:21 AM

Saturday I ordered a remastered 180-220 gram of Sticky Fingers coming from outside the USA as,was pressed there.
Should be here Thursday.
Coming Air so hope the heat did not get it.
I like vinyl when I can get it.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/25/21 12:13 PM

Tribute articles point out his jazz inspired drumming style that other drummers praise as unique and hard to copy.
I will have to re-listen now.
I paid more attention to Ringo than Charlie, my mistake?

He admitted to substance abuse during the 1980s but eventually quit.

Was a good enough “Graphic Designer”
that he did not financially need to do rock and roll,
kinda like Mick had a good job in accounting.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/25/21 04:15 PM

i was amazed Charlie went before Keith ! but as has been already said, Keith is probably an animatron !
one of the two most famous drummers gone now, with Ringo being the other half of the pair still here.
R.I.P. Charlie !
angel
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/25/21 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
Originally Posted by 6PakBee

From what I read today, perhaps the most normal Rock and Roller of all time. Married for 57 or 58 years. Seems like Rock wasn't his first choice, either. More like a way to make money so he could play around with jazz. What is most amazing is how the three of them (Keith, Mick, and Charlie) is how they stuck together for all these years without ego getting in the way and doing "side" projects without destroying the band. I have the utmost respect for those guys for that reason alone (and I'm not really a big Stones fan).

Actually, Mick was quite pissed that Keith's side project, The Expensive Winos did way better than his own solo projects. If you read Keith's autobiography, he writes about it. I think they both realized they are better together and the Stones were the best gig they had going.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/25/21 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
i was amazed Charlie went before Keith ! but as has been already said, Keith is probably an animatron !
one of the two most famous drummers gone now, with Ringo being the other half of the pair still here.
R.I.P. Charlie !
angel

well, i'd say ginger baker would disagree with ya.... he's pretty famous, and a touch above average
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/26/21 02:15 AM

R.I.P. Charlie drumhit
Posted By: moparx

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/26/21 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by massdaytona
R.I.P. Charlie !
angel

well, i'd say ginger baker would disagree with ya.... he's pretty famous, and a touch above average

i absolutely agree with you about mr. baker. he has extreme talent, however, i'm not quite sure he is as well known in the world's population as is Ringo.
that was my only reference, as the Stones and Beatles are the world's most widely known bands. [i think, but everyone knows my mind is getting up there in cobweb population. biggrin]
beer

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/26/21 11:09 PM

R.I.P. Charlie !
angel

i absolutely agree with you about mr. baker. he has extreme talent, however, i'm not quite sure he is as well known in the world's population as is Ringo.
that was my only reference, as the Stones and Beatles are the world's most widely known bands. [i think, but everyone knows my mind is getting up there in cobweb population. biggrin]
beer

my mind is already up there with the cobweb population....

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/27/21 07:53 PM

https://www.insidehook.com/article/style/charlie-watts-obsession-bespoke-savile-row-suits

sample quote

I’d often see him coming down the Row, always chauffeur-driven — I always thought it was strange how a man so into cars never learned to drive himself — and his driver always looked impeccable too.”

end quote

also

https://www.insidehook.com/article/music/charlie-watts-rip

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/27/21 09:12 PM

https://theconversation.com/how-rol...k-n-roll-bands-with-a-little-jazz-166719

sample quote

Watts wasn’t formally trained as a jazz drummer, but jazz musicians like Jelly Roll Morton, Charlie Parker and Thelonious Monk were early influences.

In a 2012 interview with the New Yorker, he recalled how their records informed his playing style.

“I bought a banjo, and I didn’t like the dots on the neck,” Watts said. “So I took the neck off, and at the same time I heard a drummer called Chico Hamilton, who played with Gerry Mulligan, and I wanted to play like that, with brushes. I didn’t have a snare drum, so I put the banjo head on a stand.”

end quote
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/28/21 08:15 PM

R.I.P. Charlie !
angel

beer

my mind is already up there with the cobweb population....

How about Kenny Aronoff? He's played with MANY bands you can think of... I discovered him while watching John Fogerty perform on the AXS Channel. I noticed that the drummer was doing an absolutely perfect job and thought, "who IS this guy?"
https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Kenny_Aronoff.html drumhit

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/28/21 09:21 PM

And of course keith moon, and john bonham..... but i agree ringo and charlie are probably the most well known- of course being in the stones and beatles helps a bit

Re: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones Drummer, Dies at 80 - 08/28/21 11:21 PM

Mick Fleetwood, no slouch himself, paid tribute to Charlie Watts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums