Moparts

Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill

Posted By: 11secdart

Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 07:15 PM

Just heard on my local rock station a couple minutes ago that Dusty Hill from ZZ Top passed away in his sleep last night... out of all the concerts I have been to theirs was one of the best... R.I.P. Dusty...
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 07:25 PM

God bless him. angel
Posted By: topside

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 07:41 PM

Just saw that. 72 years old - way too early.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 08:32 PM

We've seen ZZ Top 9 times and have enjoyed every show With tears in my eyes, prayers go out for Dusty and the guys. RIP Brother.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 09:51 PM

They were set to play the Buffalo Chip august 11th in Sturgis. Sad day for the rock world!
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 09:56 PM

sad to read this

RIP

Carsten
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 10:30 PM

They just played not too long ago at the Delaware county fair in Manchester Iowa. Sad deal...Sounds like a tech for the band will fill in. RIP Dusty Hill. You will be missed... angel
Posted By: resqguy

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 10:41 PM

They were scheduled to play in Simpsonville (SC) tonight. Local Classic Rock was setting up at the venue when the statement from the band was made. Sad. My 1st concert was ZZTop o n their Tajas tour. RIP.
Posted By: scrapmetal

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/28/21 11:08 PM

Rip
Posted By: Neil

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 12:05 AM

They played at a summer park concert series here in town a few years back. My one and only time listening to them, although they have been hear many times in the past. Great band with some great original songs over the years. RIP, Dusty.
Posted By: parksr5

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 12:54 AM

Sad to hear. Glad I went to see them about 3 years ago. I've gotten lucky the past few years seeing some of these older bands before things like this happen. Saw Tom Petty for the first time on his last tour before he went.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 01:22 AM

Seen ZZ half a dozen times, was looking forward to seeing them again in Milwaukee this fall. I did hear they had replaced him for the tour this year for unspecified reasons, guess we will find out now. Talked with Reverend Billy several times at car shows, but never saw Dusty hanging around. RIP Mr. Hill, one of THE best rockin' blues band ever! musik
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 02:02 AM

angel
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 03:02 AM

Gods speed Dusty. ZZ Top is one of my favorite bands, timeless music IMO. I saw them on their Recycler tour, don't remember what year but it was after the Eliminator tour. Just a little three piece band out of Texas.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 04:04 AM

[quote= Just a little three piece band out of Texas. [/quote]

That’s the best part!
Posted By: wingman

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 12:08 PM

One of my favorite bands of all time. I wore out several copies of Eliminator on cassette back in my youth.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 02:10 PM

I officially feel old now.

Caught ZZ front and center on the After Buner tour (remember festival seating?). Watching him do his thing up close and personal was just amazing.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 02:18 PM

I guess we are all going to walk that path eventually but it's still sad when the event occurs. I regularly play "Master of Sparks", "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers", or "Sharp Dressed Man" when I'm in a funk. Always gets me out of it.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 05:09 PM

it's always spooky when someone passes away that is close to one's own age.
i always liked ZZ Top. great band !
R.I.P. Mr. Hill.............

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/29/21 05:16 PM

I found some mementos from the concert we went to in 1991 in Nashville TN, the Black Crows opened. We left through a side door and sitting there were three tour busses each with a little wooden step on the ground in front of the door. Etched on the glass of one of the bus doors was "Wipes yo feets".

The key chain was all I could afford.

Attached picture ZZ Top.jpg
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/30/21 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by justinp61
I found some mementos from the concert we went to in 1991 in Nashville TN, the Black Crows opened.

I was at that show too. Still, to my friend's protest, I thought the BC put on a better show. They were soon kicked off the tour for some un-PC anti-commercial criticism.

Nonetheless, ZZ is one of America's best, something the BC will never be in the same regard.

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/30/21 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Diego (not Ted)
I found some mementos from the concert we went to in 1991 in Nashville TN, the Black Crows opened.

I was at that show too. Still, to my friend's protest, I thought the BC put on a better show. They were soon kicked off the tour for some un-PC anti-commercial criticism.

Nonetheless, ZZ is one of America's best, something the BC will never be in the same regard.

Yes, after Eliminator, Recycler was a bit of a let down.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/30/21 03:40 AM

If y'all haven't seen their documentary, take a couple hours one rainy Saturday and put it on. It's on Netflix...might be able to catch it elsewhere. It's called "That little ol' band from Texas." You won't be disappointed.

Sad news for sure.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/30/21 04:58 AM

Yes, after Eliminator, Recycler was a bit of a let down.

Agreed.

Typical for a 1960-70s band who had a breakthrough album in the 1980s, I think. Yes had a similar thing with 90210 or whatever it's called.

I wouldn't say they're in my Top 10, but when the news popped up on my phone, I yelled "What?" and my wife rushed to the room. Truly sad that ZZ is no more.

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/30/21 12:11 PM

Great show this was!!!.. the stage was set up like a junk yard, Frank Beard was on top of a flat bed trailer drumming. Dusty and Billy were in front jamming away all of a sudden a big clamshell bucket comes overhead and scoops them up and dumps them in a crusher... the whole stage goes dark .. a couple minutes later the door opens on the crusher and they each come out in a little crushed car rolling across the stage jamming away.. for the song " Legs " there was a bunch of girls on the trailer swinging their legs back and forth.. awesome production!!

Attached picture C7A68BFF-5B06-4E96-AD27-71F0D5AC61EB.jpeg

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/30/21 12:25 PM

If you are a fan of the band pick up this book ... gives a history of the band and Billys cars

Attached picture F158250A-DEE4-494F-A813-4091320A28EC.jpeg
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Another good rocker gone... Dusty Hill - 07/31/21 12:15 PM

Sad news for sure. My son and I were getting tickets for the show here in Abilene. With the tech filling in, it may still happen. Dusty had been out recently with the tech playing some already. I think he had a hip replacement. This is going to keep happening as well. I’ve lost three friends in the last nine months. I just finish a car for a buddy. I spent lots of time building the complete power train. He passed about two months after he picked up the car. Sad deal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums