Moparts

Truck ate another transmission...

Posted By: Rhinodart

Truck ate another transmission... - 07/21/21 11:15 PM

So 6 days before Carlisle I got a new transmission from Chrysler in my 2015 Ram installed at the dealership that sold me the truck new, hooked up the trailer, and headed east. No issues at all going out, driving around while there, and 90 miles back west. That is when it quit working altogether, completely freewheeled no forward gears or reverse. Was going up a long grade near Bedford, PA and had to back off the road and call Chrysler and they sent a wrecker which they paid for. However I had to pay $230 for the trailer to be towed to the dealership in Bedford also. I had to stay the night locally then rent a U-Haul van to bring my parts back home as it was the only vehicle for rent within a 30 mile radius! They would only rent it round trip, so I had to take it back the next Monday. Luckily a good friend came out to Bedford and met me so I could get home. The dealership in Bedford couldn't even look at until last Friday then said it is something internal and they will take the trans out and see if it is fixable. I use my truck as my business and without it I don't have any income, so what should I do with Chrysler about compensation? They had not offered something to drive either. This has cost me over $2000 and lost income as I had to put off some transports and parts sales because of it. I did get the old 2001 Cummins truck up and running but I don't trust it for long transports and it has no HVAC at all, so I need to get a complete dash and all components and take the time to get it all going. Thanks for reading my rant, but I had to borrow a Duramax from a friend to get me trailer back home and finish the two transports I was doing when the Ram broke. I may just go to the dark side...
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/21/21 11:27 PM

I doubt the GM trans will work out any better for you, I hear lots of bad things about them as well, but the GM guys don't complain on line when their stuff fails. I think they sort of expect it to fail, so when it does, its expected.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/21/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
I doubt the GM trans will work out any better for you, I hear lots of bad things about them as well, but the GM guys don't complain on line when their stuff fails. I think they sort of expect it to fail, so when it does, its expected.

Attached picture FB_IMG_1626216400388.jpg
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/21/21 11:34 PM

Insert shock face here

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/21/21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
So 6 days before Carlisle I got a new transmission from Chrysler in my 2015 Ram installed at the dealership that sold me the truck new, hooked up the trailer, and headed east. No issues at all going out, driving around while there, and 90 miles back west. That is when it quit working altogether, completely freewheeled no forward gears or reverse. Was going up a long grade near Bedford, PA and had to back off the road and call Chrysler and they sent a wrecker which they paid for. However I had to pay $230 for the trailer to be towed to the dealership in Bedford also. I had to stay the night locally then rent a U-Haul van to bring my parts back home as it was the only vehicle for rent within a 30 mile radius! They would only rent it round trip, so I had to take it back the next Monday. Luckily a good friend came out to Bedford and met me so I could get home. The dealership in Bedford couldn't even look at until last Friday then said it is something internal and they will take the trans out and see if it is fixable. I use my truck as my business and without it I don't have any income, so what should I do with Chrysler about compensation? They had not offered something to drive either. This has cost me over $2000 and lost income as I had to put off some transports and parts sales because of it. I did get the old 2001 Cummins truck up and running but I don't trust it for long transports and it has no HVAC at all, so I need to get a complete dash and all components and take the time to get it all going. Thanks for reading my rant, but I had to borrow a Duramax from a friend to get me trailer back home and finish the two transports I was doing when the Ram broke. I may just go to the dark side...

I don't think there is really any recourse for you, the fine print takes care of those liabilities. Sorry about your luck but you know the saying, poop happens. I still for the life of me can't figure out your inclination to destroy transmissions. You are like a one man trans wrecking ball. laugh2

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/21/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

I don't think there is really any recourse for you, the fine print takes care of those liabilities. Sorry about your luck but you know the saying, poop happens. I still for the life of me can't figure out your inclination to destroy transmissions. You are like a one man trans wrecking ball. laugh2

What I didn't mention is that I bought a lifetime powertrain warranty and they replaced the first trans at 281,000 miles and it only cost me my $200 deductible. I was counting my lucky stars until 6 days later, I thought I would get another 280K miles out of the new trans! I then found out it was a reman, not a new trans. They also replaced the torque converter and cooler as it was the torque converter that really failed and put garbage throughout the original trans. The also replaced the left exhaust manifold because it was warped and kept breaking the cheap Chinese studs...

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 12:09 AM

What I didn't mention is that I bought a lifetime powertrain warranty and they replaced the first trans at 281,000 miles and it only cost me my $200 deductible. I was counting my lucky stars until 6 days later, I thought I would get another 280K miles out of the new trans! I then found out it was a reman, not a new trans. They also replaced the torque converter and cooler as it was the torque converter that really failed and put garbage throughout the original trans. The also replaced the left exhaust manifold because it was warped and kept breaking the cheap Chinese studs...

Unfortunately the warranty has the say over how and what is replaced. Sucks I know but something obviously failed in the replacement trans. The fine print would have the usual disclaimers that they aren't responsible for any consequential damage or loss due to loss of use of the vehicle. Pretty standard stuff. You can ask, but I don't think it will get you anywhere. Now some of those Mopar warranties have coverage for trip interuption, hotel rooms, rental vehicle etc. Read your warranty, you might get some reimbursement.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 12:48 AM

You aren’t going to get far with reman garbage and that’s all they will do for you at the dealer. Take it to Brian’s Truck Shop in Arkansas or some place like that that builds good diesel transmissions. Maybe the guys in Amarillo that do the builds on YouTube would be ok. Precision transmission.

No idea if you have it turned up, but guys that make much over stock power have long trashed the trans on these diesels. My last one I figured it out and just added a cooler and syn fluid and things went well for me.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 12:55 AM

I would politely pitch your case to them, politely ask to go as high up in the chain as you can get, and if that doesn't get you anything, try to work through the dealership with the angle of you're the customer, maybe even a repeat customer. Being nice to customer service agents can pay dividends, but your asking them to voluntarily make it right most likely.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
You aren’t going to get far with reman garbage and that’s all they will do for you at the dealer. Take it to Brian’s Truck Shop in Arkansas or some place like that that builds good diesel transmissions. Maybe the guys in Amarillo that do the builds on YouTube would be ok. Precision transmission.

No idea if you have it turned up, but guys that make much over stock power have long trashed the trans on these diesels. My last one I figured it out and just added a cooler and syn fluid and things went well for me.

It is a stock 5.7 Hemi, I quit diesels long ago though I had to resurrect my 2001 so I can get some things done. 66RFE trans that was quite good for 281K miles! Unfortunately I left the warranty paperwork in my truck so I don't know what it covers! realcrazy I will go talk with my dealer here and get a copy of it. The dealer where I bought my truck has been great, and they have been sponsoring my Mopar show for 10 years now, so I have a good relationship with them.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 01:37 AM

Bummer dude, you do seem to have some kind of hex on you pity Have you considered a stick, or do you break those as well ? whistling pity beer shock
No offense meant BTW.
Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 02:33 AM

I've watched your adventures in transmission destruction for years, and have always wondered why you didn't move up to a Medium Duty with an Allison. I wouldn't buy a 2010 or later diesel on a bet, but last I knew (and it has been a few years) you could buy a new Low-Pro Navistar or Freightliner as a glider and have the dealer install a reman driveline. A 5.9 or 8.3 mechanical Cummins or DT 466 with an Allison behind it should be pretty bulletproof for 500-750k miles, and with a Texas-hauler bed and 19.5 rubber, you wouldn't be much different than an F550...
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 02:42 AM

Man that sucks about the transmission. With your luck on transmissions I don't if going to the dark side would be any better. I do agree that maybe a medium duty truck would be a better bet.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
I've watched your adventures in transmission destruction for years, and have always wondered why you didn't move up to a Medium Duty with an Allison. I wouldn't buy a 2010 or later diesel on a bet, but last I knew (and it has been a few years) you could buy a new Low-Pro Navistar or Freightliner as a glider and have the dealer install a reman driveline. A 5.9 or 8.3 mechanical Cummins or DT 466 with an Allison behind it should be pretty bulletproof for 500-750k miles, and with a Texas-hauler bed and 19.5 rubber, you wouldn't be much different than an F550...

Glider kits are gone now thanks to the EPA
https://www.overdriveonline.com/equ...ons-regulations-squash-glider-kit-market
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by RustyMopar01
Man that sucks about the transmission. With your luck on transmissions I don't if going to the dark side would be any better. I do agree that maybe a medium duty truck would be a better bet.

Several of us ran FL series about 20 years ago. Medium duties are a different world. If you don't like your local dealer service, you'll hate big truck service departments, at least back then. Half assed and half done seemed to be the order or the day. One of us had a Fuller Spicer FS6406 puke at around 40,000 miles. What I DID like, you can hammer on these things all day long without worrying about breaking stuff. They make one ton components look like light weight toys.

Even the highly vaunted NVG 5600 isn't immune from failures.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/nv5600-to-fso6406a-6-speed-fuller.41978/

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

Several of us ran FL series about 20 years ago. Medium duties are a different world. If you don't like your local dealer service, you'll hate big truck service departments, at least back then. Half assed and half done seemed to be the order or the day. One of us had a Fuller Spicer FS6406 puke at around 40,000 miles. What I DID like, you can hammer on these things all day long without worrying about breaking stuff. They make one ton components look like light weight toys.

That is the only trans I haven't had the pleasure of destroying yet, the NV5600 but might give that a try. I had a CDL for a few years and worked at International as a truck porter, I can even kill Road Rangers...LOL! I am looking at a local International toter with the 444E (7.3 diesel in the Ferds) but haven't found out what trans is in it yet. I am also thinking about retiring... no
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 03:36 AM

You did pretty good with getting 280,000 out of the old one. Obviously the reman replacement was defective and not from abuse IMO.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 03:38 AM

How much weight are you pulling? This seems really weird. If you are running a stock gasser it must not be that much.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 06:58 AM

My 1994 Ram 2500hd Cummin engine auto and 354 years ran well till right u see a 100k.
The converter went. I talked just my car on open trailer. But talked palettes of stone or ceramic some bags motor just to get started wet saw and tools all the time. Once I was in the I-10 or 55 north it was like I never had anything back there.
A friend built the trans with all good parts as tgey take same stuff just about as a 727.
It was flawless and was way better after the build than new.
Almost 30mpg hwy.
But was stolen and totaled.
The Low HP high Toqure was getting me nowhere fast. But I would not have changed a thing.
On the trans out of warranty have you ever tried a built one from someone like CRT?
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 09:54 AM

G, I know exactly where that picture was taken,, less than 10 miles from me.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 01:54 PM

That is the only trans I haven't had the pleasure of destroying yet, the NV5600 but might give that a try. I had a CDL for a few years and worked at International as a truck porter, I can even kill Road Rangers...LOL! I am looking at a local International toter with the 444E (7.3 diesel in the Ferds) but haven't found out what trans is in it yet. I am also thinking about retiring... no

I'm with ya on the big R, When I finish the 1 car in the shop right now it's going to be put the brakes on big time. I'm done with employees and [censored] customers. I am fortunate that I haven't had many of the latter. I'll keep the businesst going but more of a sideline hobby, pick and choose type thing. No More Major resto's or jobs. Then I have a BUTT load of equipment and accumulated parts / inventory to get rid of. But that can be done at a leisurely pace.
Good luck on the trans beer
Posted By: OrangeProwler

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 02:04 PM

Thank you and good stuff to know. At least it was worth a thought anyways.
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 02:17 PM

The allison trans have issues too, my neighbor was stuck in texas with his for a week, dont put another dealer/factory trans back in the truck, spend the 8-10 g's and put an almost bullet proof one in from one of the aftermarket builders, i did the research a couple years back on these guys because i was going to put one in my 06 cummins but i ended up selling the truck and buying a 2020 ram laramie gas truck, just did not need a diesel anymore. i went back and re-read your psots and discovered its not a diesel, i still would recommend an aftermarket trans over the factory, good luck with the warranty from that dealer.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/22/21 06:50 PM

you know dam well their is some guy with a mid 80`s dodge with the body falling off hauling a ton of junk daily with the trans fluid has not been checked in 8 yrs

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by theraif
you know dam well their is some guy with a mid 80`s dodge with the body falling off hauling a ton of junk daily with the trans fluid has not been checked in 8 yrs

That's me but it's an early 90's. 308K and counting. laugh2
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 12:56 AM

If a gasser is a must I'd be going for the ford 445" (7.3L) - some early ones has plug wire issues but its fixed now, modern pushrod bigblock FTW
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 01:14 AM

Rather then buying a new truck, I would be considering a trans specifically built for what you do. If this last factory trans lasted 280K for you, having one built just for you should last at least as long.
When you get the "new specially built for you" trans installed, you can sell that "rebuilt" unit the dealership installed and recoup some of your money.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by SRT6776
If a gasser is a must I'd be going for the ford 445" (7.3L) - some early ones has plug wire issues but its fixed now, modern pushrod bigblock FTW

I'm not buying a Ford anything built after 1970, and even then it better be a screaming deal on a highly desirable piece that I can flip.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 01:37 AM

Rather then buying a new truck, I would be considering a trans specifically built for what you do. If this last factory trans lasted 280K for you, having one built just for you should last at least as long.
When you get the "new specially built for you" trans installed, you can sell that "rebuilt" unit the dealership installed and recoup some of your money.

Nobody builds a trans that Rhino can't destroy, and I mean no one.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 11:34 AM

I am also thinking about retiring... no

Track down a cheap, decent, running when pulled, used tranny from somebody that ya at least 1/2 way trust. Give up a couple square feet in the trailer to carry it with you. Kinda like ya probably do with oil, a/f, a belt or two. I'll bet you'll never need it.
Posted By: topside

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 03:01 PM

Why not swap a manual trans in ?
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/23/21 03:12 PM

I watch a few RV'ers on youtube and all of them have had transmission issues, I tell them all the same, just replace it with a beefed up unit along with a bigger cooler. Those are mostly 80's and 90's RV's though, I know built modern transmissions are VERY expensive. A shop does the 8 speeds - $10,000 eek
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/24/21 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
G, I know exactly where that picture was taken,, less than 10 miles from me.

And like 30 miles from me. tonguue
Posted By: 360view

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/24/21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by RWG75

Track down a cheap, decent, running when pulled, used tranny from somebody that ya at least 1/2 way trust. Give up a couple square feet in the trailer to carry it with you. Kinda like ya probably do with oil, a/f, a belt or two. I'll bet you'll never need it.

Getting +280,000 miles from a new 66RFE is actually a success, isn’t it?
Trans would have lasted longer if the guts of torque converter had not failed?

Logic would suggest: change the torque converter either at 250,000 miles or when periodic oil analysis shows a rapidly increasing concentration of “wear metals” in the ATF.

Always buy new, unused (never reman) torque converters and transmissions.
(meaning quality control is better at factories than at rebuild shops)

Start doing periodic oil analysis of ATF, engine lube oil and differential gear oil.
This analysis is an added cost, but not too different than paying $ for a “lifetime powertrain warranty.”
Both are a special type of insurance.
Throughout the mining, heavy machinery, transportation and military organizations - oil analysis is accepted as more benefit than cost.

My 46RH transmission died at 187,000 miles when the Torque Converter lockup clutch failed and sent debris through the transmission.
This happened after I changed out Mopar ATF+3 with added “Red Bottle” Lubegard
to straight Mopar ATF+4 with no Lubegard.

Maybe other Moparts members could comment on whether:
torque converter failure is the root cause more than 50% of the time in various model MOPAR automatic transmission failures?

In the late 1970s a company I was a supervisor at bought a Mack Midliner truck to make a 240 mile round trip five days a week.
This “made in France” truck went 1,000,000 miles by 1987 without a major breakdown.
The truck had a very good driver with a great work ethic who respected equipment.
Mack came and gave him a jacket with “million mile” emblems.

When someone said to me:
“So Charlie Babb has done such a good job looking after his truck that now you are going to “reward him” by making him keep driving it until it breaks, perhaps causing a road accident where he might get injured or dies? “

So even though money was extremely tight, I bought Charlie a new Mack Midliner.

Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/24/21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 360view
[quote=RWG75]

Start doing periodic oil analysis of ATF, engine lube oil and differential gear oil.
This analysis is an added cost, but not too different than paying $ for a “lifetime powertrain warranty.”

WIX #24077 oil analysis kits are $15 each through Amazon, which INCLUDES the analysis. I run them at least once a year. Easy to get the report and use to adjust (extend) the oil change intervals.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/24/21 02:05 PM

I hear horror stories from all brands, but Dodges due tend to last longer.

Local restorer here used Fords, and he's talked about why can't these manufacturers build a trans that lasts? He pulls a single one car enclosed trailer
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/24/21 06:25 PM

I hate mopar reman transmissions, I have pulled apart 48REs with V8 planataries in the OD section and all kinds of weird junk, seems they just grab parts out of a big ole bin and if they physically fit they just throw it in there. I would find someone that knows that specific trans very well and have them build me one, it should still be cheaper than injectors on a duramax.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/24/21 06:30 PM

Logic would suggest: change the torque converter either at 250,000 miles or when periodic oil analysis shows a rapidly increasing concentration of “wear metals” in the ATF.

Throughout the mining, heavy machinery, transportation and military organizations - oil analysis is accepted as more benefit than cost.

My 46RH transmission died at 187,000 miles when the Torque Converter lockup clutch failed and sent debris through the transmission.

torque converter failure is the root cause more than 50% of the time in various model MOPAR automatic transmission failures?

In the late 1970s a company I was a supervisor at bought a Mack Midliner truck to make a 240 mile round trip five days a week.
This “made in France” truck went 1,000,000 miles by 1987 without a major breakdown.
The truck had a very good driver with a great work ethic who respected equipment.

When someone said to me:
“So Charlie Babb has done such a good job looking after his truck that now you are going to “reward him” by making him keep driving it until it breaks, perhaps causing a road accident where he might get injured or dies? “

The vast majority of 4 speed rear wheel drive dodge transmissions I have had to re-build were caused by leaking cooler lines, leaking pan gaskets, lack of maintenance (including filters and periodic band adjustment that almost NEVER happens during service anymore). Almost never saw a bad trans that did not have leaking fluid or improperly adjusted bands.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/24/21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
I hate mopar reman transmissions, I have pulled apart 48REs with V8 planataries in the OD section and all kinds of weird junk, seems they just grab parts out of a big ole bin and if they physically fit they just throw it in there. I would find someone that knows that specific trans very well and have them build me one, it should still be cheaper than injectors on a duramax.

Dad's buddy is on an extended tour with his 2011 Duramax. He damaged his camper and couldn't find anybody to fix it, so he dragged it home and set off again with a rental. Within a month he had to replace all 8 injectors at a cost of ~ $8,000, and now he's got to replace a 9th injector, yep, there's one for the DPF as well. I don't know the cost of this one yet.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/25/21 01:21 AM

When someone said to me:

The vast majority of 4 speed rear wheel drive dodge transmissions I have had to re-build were caused by leaking cooler lines, leaking pan gaskets, lack of maintenance (including filters and periodic band adjustment that almost NEVER happens during service anymore). Almost never saw a bad trans that did not have leaking fluid or improperly adjusted bands.

I had Dodge do the trans service at 75K miles as was recommended, then I changed the filter and fluid at 150K and 225K, but had the engine light come on around 160K that was read as "torque converter over running clutch" and you could feel the slippage for the next 120K miles. The service advisor kept putting it off as the light would turn itself on and off over the last two years, so he said "we will change it out when it gets worse!" Well it got worse all at once, and I am paying the price since. Used my 2001 diesel truck this weekend, put 1,000 miles on it with no issues until I get near home, now when I turn right something is grinding, sounds like a u-joint, wheel bearing, or brake issue, it just never ends... runaway

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/25/21 02:58 PM

That is valuable additional information about the “Torque Convertor Overrunning Clutch” CEL warning.

Perhaps Mopar OEM Torque Convertors should be routinely changed out at 150,000 miles, or at least on on 66RFE automatics
to allow the rest of the transmission components to last +280,000 miles.

Some of the “Automated Manual Transmissions” act similar to automatics but do not have torque converters,
but I have not heard of any of the AMT’s going over 250,000 miles before rebuilds, but perhaps some have.

Does the “fine print” of your Lifetime Powertrain Warranty say anything about whether
the owner of the warranty can insist that a suspect part be replaced if a CEL has occurred naming that part and stored in PCM memory?

Or more simply: does the warranty fine print say that only physically broken parts will be replaced?

I would kind of bet that that the warranty language must say:
worn parts that could soon cause an accident with injury or fatality MUST BE REPLACED without delay.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/25/21 03:28 PM

Does the Chrysler Tech Center still get sent computer data from dealerships on when vehicle components fail?

Would some employee at the Chrysler Tech Center be able to tell you
the average number of miles that 90% of torque converters exceed without failure (L90 value)
and the average number of miles that 50% of torque converters exceed without failure (L50 value)

My fuzzy memory is that somewhere in Ebugger’s magazine write up of the then new 4.7 V8 he mentions that the Tech Center assured him the 90% of the 4.7 V8s would live beyond a certain number of vehicle miles or engine hours.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/26/21 12:03 AM

The Chrysler tech that fixed our 604 that was in limp mode in 1993 at 20,000 miles said the same thing about remans, if the pan is not full of metal always fix what you have. He found a bad clutch pack snapring and this trans is at 220,000 with only 2 fluid changes.

I always wondered if a spin on oil filter in the cooler return line would be smart, it may not matter because if the converter fails there will be so much trash that the filter will plug and wipe out the rear support and gears. It seems the deep pans with the pickup that is an inch or so off the bottom is the best solution.

Just think of the poor guy that gets the remains of your 280,000 miles trans, no way it will be a good trans, always hated parts bin mismatched parts trans, I would find one that is working with clean fluid and build that.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 07/26/21 02:30 AM

Does the Chrysler Tech Center still get sent computer data from dealerships on when vehicle components fail?

Would some employee at the Chrysler Tech Center be able to tell you
the average number of miles that 90% of torque converters exceed without failure (L90 value)
and the average number of miles that 50% of torque converters exceed without failure (L50 value)

My fuzzy memory is that somewhere in Ebugger’s magazine write up of the then new 4.7 V8 he mentions that the Tech Center assured him the 90% of the 4.7 V8s would live beyond a certain number of vehicle miles or engine hours.

Interesting, I am calling Chrysler tomorrow to ask them what they think as it has been two weeks now since it broke with no compensation or repair. I believe I will be on the phone for a few hours tomorrow... work
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 08/03/21 08:41 PM

So no update?

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 08/04/21 01:37 AM

Been over three weeks now and finally got a call from Ram customer service. They found the part, which is the clutch plate, and they are having it expedited but it will take 3-5 business days for them to get it to the dealer who took my transmission apart in Bedford, PA! So I might actually see the truck around the time I am supposed to go to the Mopar Nationals, hopefully I can get it before then, but I am not holding my breath. They will not pay for my trip interruption, the rental of the U-Haul van, or any other expenses because my truck is over the 100,000 mile limit of my lifetime powertrain warranty. I doubt I will have any recourse... mad

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 08/07/21 03:17 AM

Well it got repaired today and they took it for a long drive and all is good, just have to get it back 600 miles west! I did get a call from Chrysler who said they will ship it to my house on their dime! eek Not sure when that will happen, but if I don't hear anything by Monday I will just go get it...
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Truck ate another transmission... - 08/07/21 06:47 PM

Dang that's funny
© 2024 Moparts Forums