Moparts

Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live

Posted By: McCandlessboy

Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/08/21 11:04 AM

This was a 2+ year project. We'll have it on loop here at Carlisle for people to watch. If you're a fan of 60's and 70's drag racing, I think you'll enjoy the content. As we go forward, we'll continue to build out more content, so always open to feedback on what you'd want to see. Special thanks to so many people who provided us never before seen photos and video's for us to use. I was blown away by the support. Valeo Films did a great job and I'm looking forward to what people think! Please subscribe and like our channel, it helps a lot with relevancy on YouTube. The goal is to get this to iTunes or Netflix so people can consume anywhere they want. For now, YouTube. It's 4 episodes so you can pick your point of interest if the earlier or later stuff isn't your thing, but I hope you'll eventually watch all of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiZKEJK4O8

Enjoy!
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/09/21 12:59 AM

Watched it all today.

Your Dad is right, nobody has kids like he's got.

You did a great thing here. Congratulations.

Kevin
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/09/21 04:19 AM

Subscribed to your youtube channel! thumbs
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/09/21 05:59 AM

Watched part 1. Early 60's. He worked hard & earned everything he accomplished. "Poor" as he said, but MAN what a work ethic for a young fellow. The "stars" all aligned in a brief period, that set the ground-work for such an outstanding career & life. Looking forward to next parts. Great Work & Thank You.
Posted By: VS29H0B

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/09/21 12:48 PM

Your Dad is a treasure and a pillar of what Mopar and drag racing was back in the day, and evolved to today because of his hard work. The Part 1 video is top notch. Make everyday a great day with him --- and take in all you can - we learned over the last couple years that we can take nothing for granted, especially good health and plans into the future (as we age). Thank you for sharing this rich history of his ascent in the sport and his personal triumphs given all the challenges growing up.
Posted By: moparts

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/09/21 05:41 PM

I am mIssing Carlisle this year , and up here in CT it is raining like crazy

So had time to watch all 4 parts of the video , great video ,
wish I had been born earlier so that I could have been there
for the glory days of drag racing drive

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/10/21 12:40 AM

Appreciate the comments!
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/10/21 01:10 AM

If your father was the original “Mr. 4-Speed”, when did Ronnie Sox become “Mr. 4-Speed” as well? Forgive me if the answer is in the documentaries, as I’m just starting to watch them.

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/10/21 01:23 PM

Ronnie was “the boss” dad was Mr 4 Speed.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/10/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by McCandlessboy
Ronnie was “the boss” dad was Mr 4 Speed.

Thanks for clarifying it. I had it confused for many years.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/10/21 10:16 PM

Just finished watching all 4 parts. Excellent job, thank you for doing it!
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/10/21 11:06 PM

Thanks for doing that for your dad and us. I don’t have words to describe how awesome that is........

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/11/21 01:51 AM

That's guys it means a lot. When pouring the insane number of hours into a project like this, you never know what others will think of it. Posting it for free allowed me to license a lot of footage and pictures I probably couldn't have got otherwise. I was blown away at the response at Carlisle. I'm totally exhausted at the hotel room now and have a decent drive home tomorrow
Posted By: Snooker

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/11/21 05:45 AM

From the comments in Epsode 4:

"One word describes Mr McCandless, "CLASS"
We need so many more people like him in todays world!"

Amen!

Thanks for posting the series - What a great time to be alive and what a great guy - Loved it!!!!

drive bow
Posted By: maximus

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/11/21 01:41 PM

Watched all four parts yesterday. Even the wife sat with me to watch for about an hour. Great job on the interview and the story. Must have been great to have the connections your father had at Chrysler. Enjoyed the whole story, may watch it again.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/11/21 05:34 PM

I watched part 1 last night and really enjoyed it. I forwarded it to a friend whose dad raced a Dart Sport in Pro Stock in the 70s.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/12/21 04:46 PM

This was a 2+ year project. We'll have it on loop here at Carlisle for people to watch. If you're a fan of 60's and 70's drag racing, I think you'll enjoy the content. As we go forward, we'll continue to build out more content, so always open to feedback on what you'd want to see. Special thanks to so many people who provided us never before seen photos and video's for us to use. I was blown away by the support. Valeo Films did a great job and I'm looking forward to what people think! Please subscribe and like our channel, it helps a lot with relevancy on YouTube. The goal is to get this to iTunes or Netflix so people can consume anywhere they want. For now, YouTube. It's 4 episodes so you can pick your point of interest if the earlier or later stuff isn't your thing, but I hope you'll eventually watch all of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiZKEJK4O8

Enjoy!

Great Job!!! Thanks, from all of us Old-Timers!!!
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/12/21 07:12 PM

Watched all 4 parts. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for doing this for us to view.
Posted By: topside

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/12/21 07:23 PM

Fantastic. Good you were able to get Lohnes on board.
A couple times the music almost overpowered Herb's commentary, but the whole thing is such a treat.
Everyone did a great job, and as a labor of love, it doesn't get any better than this.
Thank you.
Posted By: Plum440

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/13/21 01:02 AM

I just finished watching it on YouTube. Very well done! Thank you for doing this.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/24/21 07:05 PM

Outstanding!! 2 parts into the 4 so far. Really well done, Lohnes does a great job, as does your Dad, and the quality of the production is top notch, could hold its own with any regular TV program. And of course the subject matter is excellent!!! Thanks for the time and energy you put into this, I'll post a link in our car club over here in UK....

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/24/21 09:49 PM

Thank you, it was important to me that the quality be good. I never imagined this response that's for sure!
Posted By: MoparsnMissiles

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/25/21 02:53 AM

Thank you, it was important to me that the quality be good. I never imagined this response that's for sure!

Ran into your Dad today at the Mopars at the Red Barns show in Hickory Corners, Michigan. First I've seen him in the last several years, I've talked with him many times at the march Indy show over the years and always enjoyed him. He's such an easy going down to earth guy to talk to and makes us lesser mortals feel somewhat like equals (even though we know we're not anywhere in the same ballpark as him). I think it was about 1979 when I first spoke with your Dad, it was over the phone when he was a distributor for Direct Connection/Mopar Performance parts back then, I believe in North Carolina. I was doing some engine work on my Super Bee and he tried to guide me in the right direction with some parts and advice to rebuild the engine. I ordered quite a bit of stuff from him back then, still have it all, some is still in that engine and some parts are still on the shelf as I never used them all.

Anyway, today when I saw him at the show I just had to stop and say Hello and chat with him a bit. I know he's a busy guy and everybody wants to talk to him and his time is limited, so I tried not to over do it. I mentioned that I had seen the documentary you've done on his life and how much I have enjoyed it. What I really wanted to tell him though is how much he means to all of us ordinary Mopar guys (like me) and how much he's respected, but that didn't really come out in our conversation, as its kind of hard for us guys to get all sentimental and mushy like when we talk to each other.

So anyway, just let him know that he's a pretty special guy to a lot of us and we really appreciate all he's done for Mopar and especially the way he's done it over the years, with dignity and class. Thanks Herb!

Tom (from Indiana)
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/25/21 03:22 AM

Has a memory that's amazing. Recalls details without a pause in talking. That has to be a True Sign of a True Race Guy.
PS. Loved the Music also.

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/26/21 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by MoparsnMissiles

Ran into your Dad today at the Mopars at the Red Barns show in Hickory Corners, Michigan. First I've seen him in the last several years, I've talked with him many times at the march Indy show over the years and always enjoyed him. He's such an easy going down to earth guy to talk to and makes us lesser mortals feel somewhat like equals (even though we know we're not anywhere in the same ballpark as him). I think it was about 1979 when I first spoke with your Dad, it was over the phone when he was a distributor for Direct Connection/Mopar Performance parts back then, I believe in North Carolina. I was doing some engine work on my Super Bee and he tried to guide me in the right direction with some parts and advice to rebuild the engine. I ordered quite a bit of stuff from him back then, still have it all, some is still in that engine and some parts are still on the shelf as I never used them all.

Anyway, today when I saw him at the show I just had to stop and say Hello and chat with him a bit. I know he's a busy guy and everybody wants to talk to him and his time is limited, so I tried not to over do it. I mentioned that I had seen the documentary you've done on his life and how much I have enjoyed it. What I really wanted to tell him though is how much he means to all of us ordinary Mopar guys (like me) and how much he's respected, but that didn't really come out in our conversation, as its kind of hard for us guys to get all sentimental and mushy like when we talk to each other.

So anyway, just let him know that he's a pretty special guy to a lot of us and we really appreciate all he's done for Mopar and especially the way he's done it over the years, with dignity and class. Thanks Herb!

Tom (from Indiana)

Thanks! That was a good show. We were in town for the concourse show in Plymouth and this ran on top of it. Made the 2h drive over and spent the day there. What an incredible venue. Thanks for grabbing him and saying Hi. Dad has never met a stranger.
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 07/26/21 03:59 PM

Very nice to watch, thanks for the efforts.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 08/12/21 04:32 PM

Just watched all 4 episodes, Excellet job done about a man that by all accounts lived a well lived life. Congrats to all involved.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 08/13/21 02:12 PM

I too have watched them all and enjoyed each of them.

I felt my time was very well spent.

I am glad the family was able to get the documentary done.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Herb "Mr 4 Speed' McCandless Documentary is live - 08/13/21 02:22 PM

Watched the flick @ Carlisle and sat in the seminar. Dad never gets boring,that's for sure.Glad you guys have your own tent now!
© 2024 Moparts Forums